What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I would a died inside if you smashed that big one!

That has an excellent shape and the coloring is great as well.

Kinda wish I coulda woulda spent ~ 100 dollars on that one I had to pass up from the lfs last month, after seeing Mebbids.
INSANE to spend that much on one ~25# rock, but I would have liked to. Of course I would have had to have the coordinating extra stones too and then it would have been $200.00+.!?!!!
####################################

Got busy on maintenance today. Did a ~85% pwc (left about 3" of water just so the fish didn't have to get caught) and bottom crud clean in the 29G tank which is presently holding the Pair of Koi Angels.

The ones which seemed to have 3 white specks on their fins, Ich??. Today they were gone not a single speck I could see, none on the fins.

Did the whole pwc vac'ing the bottom. There is no substrate but there is a filter pad and a large bag of Matrix laying on the bottom, plus a plastic plant and DW and leaf litter. Evidently all those things are major particle traps and hiders, so there was quite a bit of what seems like uneaten waste from the pellets, like dust but particles piled up, under and behind them.

Making me take a second look at how often I have been feeding the prepared foods since I have been so busy lately.

Added the water in with a little break in the middle to let the fish acclimate to their new cleaner water. Added 2 extensons to the 2 little filter intakes so their water draw can be a 6 inches closer to the bottom and perhaps suck up the particles a little better.

The Media and filter pad were there just to keep the BB colonies.

Fish seem fine atm. Still cranking the temp up a little each day. At 83F presently, added the water back a smidge warmer hoping it will be 85F tomorrow eve. Already have extra air bubbler going.

^^^^^

Did algae clean off the fronts of the tanks today. 2 SW nanos and the 46G were the worst.

Cleaned the 46G down to about 65% doing bottom cleaning with the vac. There is a sparse covering of Eco and sand mix it gathers into areas and collect the same particles as mentioned above.

All cleaned up and under the Sponge filter, and 5 DW in the tank.

Rinsed out the Sponge filter and trimmed off the air tube a couple inches as there was a MTS snail shell obstructing it.

Cleaned up but cloudy from stirring up the mess. Added filter floss at the outflow of the A/C 110 to hopefully capture some of the mess. Will try and lightly clean the filter media tomorrow.

After removing all the TONS of Duckweed and Water Sprite a couple weeks ago, the new to me Fluval light I got instead of the giant Dragonstone is causing some algae on the glass. I guess I need to put it on a timer and reduce or split the time with a rest period.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Had intended to move the Rosy Minnows however many are left, from the pond to the tank, but realized how cold the water is outside compared to inside and needed to think that transition over a little bit.

Cleaned the pond out to some degree by running water into it for freshening it up for about a half hour, getting a head start on the change in water parameters as well, that the Rosy Minnows will need to experience.

I think I saw at least 3 maybe 4 the other day. Boy they hide well, in clearing out the Duckweed and running the water I didn't see ANY?!?

Moved a large amount of floating plants into the tub as we are getting some snow soon and every night is pretty much freezing. Might get it finished tomorrow.

Want to move the 90G into the house from the garage this week. Still need special valves for the overflow as it was a SW tank.

I removed the moss ball carpet from I’gor’s Biube today. A few weeks ago I saw a dark spot where some algae was trying to get a foothold. So I took it out and treated with a bit of peroxide and excel. It’s looking even worse.

So today I did some reading and learned moss balls aren’t actually moss but algae.

What! So I basically nuked it.

I rinsed it out well and moved it to a cooler darker jar. Let’s see if it recovers.

What a bonehead move.

I removed the moss ball carpet from I’gor’s Biube today. A few weeks ago I saw a dark spot where some algae was trying to get a foothold. So I took it out and treated with a bit of peroxide and excel. It’s looking even worse.

So today I did some reading and learned moss balls aren’t actually moss but algae.

What! So I basically nuked it.

I rinsed it out well and moved it to a cooler darker jar. Let’s see if it recovers.

What a bonehead move.

It is hard to know everything. They are after all, referred to as Moss Balls :huh:

Hardly anything today, really just watched fish swim around. That was nice.

Some fun pics I just got added to the albums.

SW nano Dwarf Brittle Stars tentacles grabbing for food 12G
60074-albums13946-picture71586.jpg

6.6G SW nano
Yellow Clown Goby
60074-albums13946-picture71592.jpg

New guy Pom Pom Crab newly molted
60074-albums13946-picture71590.jpg

Crab molt
60074-albums13946-picture71593.jpg

Only been months trying to get a decent pic of the Green Lightning Endlers

Male
60074-albums13946-picture71587.jpg

Momma and fry next to the rim of the glass near the mom.

60074-albums13946-picture71585.jpg

Look how small these guys are sitting on grains of sand?! Pygmy Cory
60074-albums13946-picture71584.jpg

Whoa! I love that endler!

Yes, it seems one of the the 2 females mistakenly added to the 72G is pregnant. There are at least 2 new fry in the turtle tank. Maybe will have more growing up soon - they are really nice looking fish.

I spent a good half hour watching them and trying to get good pics. In the sunshine the one female has a green iridescent lateral line at the top of her body invisible except for the one time it caught the light. I was surprised!!!

Went to a frag swap on sunday and wanted to show off some new additions to my reef :)

Montipora Spongodes
K5btaWR.jpg

Superman Montipora
FXfs3ar.jpg

Neon Green Birdsnet
LfpoQTQ.jpg

Green Trumpet Coral
gl0Cabc.jpg

Clove Polyps
dnfiwpD.jpg

Went to a frag swap on sunday and wanted to show off some new additions to my reef :)

Montipora Spongodes
K5btaWR.jpg

Superman Montipora
FXfs3ar.jpg

Neon Green Birdsnet
LfpoQTQ.jpg

Green Trumpet Coral
gl0Cabc.jpg

Clove Polyps
dnfiwpD.jpg

Now I want to add more stuff to my SW!!!

~~~~~~~~~

Okay have one thing checked off my list 2/3rds of the way.

Found a pair of young Boesemani Rainbows needing a new tank and went and picked them up as a pair for $10. Healthy and a bit stressed from living in a tank full of juvenile Angelfish. Hoping they stay healthy in the transition.

Acclimating and almost ready to go into the QT.

Around here they are about 15 each. Have a friend too who often has these breed and sells off the babies but it is a hit and miss on availability and sometimes he has a waiting list. Would like to get one more male and 3 more females if available.

I made an offer for 4 Clown Loaches but there was a higher offer and they were sold.

Also there is a big 24" DW with Anubias and Java Fern growing on it guy would like $50, But I am thinking $40, it comes from a cool water tank and that would be as it would be going into a cool water tank - so growing in the same water parameters should not have any transition issue.

Also working on the battery back up set up for the 90G tank as it is the wall of plugs where the power will kick off the circuit breaker if 2 big Watt appliances are inadvertently used at the same time in the room behind it.

We will be getting a new line run for that problem in the next month or so when there is some other work happening.

Fed all the tanks baby Brine Shrimp and Spirulina Brine shrimp depending on which fish were in the tanks, they got one or both, FW & SW. I have started using the plastic disposable pipettes for this and it is a wonder of a tool for getting the food in the right places. Really don't know how I lived without it for all these years.

PRL really went for the Spirulina Brine Shrimp which was a little bit of a surprise. They were scattered all over so I was figuring they were going after the BBS which is what I started with, about 10-15 min later, then I added just a squirt of the Big Brine Shrimp and they were hunting around and grabbing the big Brine Shrimp and running off with them!

Those guys love to eat. Me too but not Brine Shrimp, lol!

Also working on the battery back up set up for the 90G tank as it is the wall of plugs where the power will kick off the circuit breaker if 2 big Watt appliances are inadvertently used at the same time in the room behind it.

We will be getting a new line run for that problem in the next month or so when there is some other work happening.

Fed all the tanks baby Brine Shrimp and Spirulina Brine shrimp depending on which fish were in the tanks, they got one or both, FW & SW. I have started using the plastic disposable pipettes for this and it is a wonder of a tool for getting the food in the right places. Really don't know how I lived without it for all these years.

PRL really went for the Spirulina Brine Shrimp which was a little bit of a surprise. They were scattered all over so I was figuring they were going after the BBS which is what I started with, about 10-15 min later, then I added just a squirt of the Big Brine Shrimp and they were hunting around and grabbing the big Brine Shrimp and running off with them!

Those guys love to eat. Me too but not Brine Shrimp, lol!

I am severely limited in my aquariums by the power in my house too. The breakers trip too frequently but it's a rental so there's not a whole lot I can do about that :(

Maybe you should give the brine shrimp a try. Maybe they are delicious.

After not being able to find a suitable light to grow high light plants in a 3g aquarium I decided to say screw it and make my own. I put 4 3w LEDs on the lid of my tank and it's soooo bright so thankfully I made it dimmable. It gives an awesome shimmer on the walls and in the tank. Hopefully it doesn't melt the plastic lid.
k1GLpSk.jpg

I am severely limited in my aquariums by the power in my house too. The breakers trip too frequently but it's a rental so there's not a whole lot I can do about that :(

Maybe you should give the brine shrimp a try. Maybe they are delicious.

After not being able to find a suitable light to grow high light plants in a 3g aquarium I decided to say screw it and make my own. I put 4 3w LEDs on the lid of my tank and it's soooo bright so thankfully I made it dimmable. It gives an awesome shimmer on the walls and in the tank. Hopefully it doesn't melt the plastic lid.
k1GLpSk.jpg

The Spirulina Brine Shrimp smell odd :eek: No thanks :)

Looks bright enough to grow some green on the new rocks!

Added some Potassium into the planted tanks. Haven't used it before, got a deal at the AGA conference, just now opened it since my Aponogeton is getting holey leaves after it's recent move to the 72G. Probably going to start dosing some light amounts of ferts again.

Also wondering about waiting a little longer to set up the 90G. So many family things make the tanks things just a bit further down on the list. Already having a little less to do is nice.

well spent 3 hrs today cleaning my sump boy was it nasty , found a big assortment of my mia inverts found 2 emerald crabs about 2 dozen hermits about 50 snails and a good 100 feeder shrimp , kind of funny haven't had any feeder shrimp in over a year so I'm guessing these were babys , all my fish had a treat today and tomorrow I will be siphoning out all my sub-straight from my 90g going black this time . I got a great deal on a 125 lbs of black Hawaiian sand . I'm thinking of doing it over 6 days 2 days to remove sand along with water-change 4 days to add sand so the black sand storm wont be so bad .

Removed a ton of caluerpa from the 20 gallon reef. Stuff is growing ridiculously out of control lol. Also cleaned the glass on the 20 and 40 reefs. IMG_0704.jpg

today I started siphoning out the sand and did 20g water change , tomorrow I will start the main section of the tank today I un-buried the rocks removed about 15 pounds of sand

today I started siphoning out the sand and did 20g water change , tomorrow I will start the main section of the tank today I un-buried the rocks removed about 15 pounds of sand

And it is gonna look so good!!!

I am just thinking further about a SW tank and can not decide what size I want to deal with.
~35 rimless don't own
90G own

Saw a complete set up last week available for $995 hahaha Can't spend money like that right now! Near new Red Sea 65G though and full of corals. Maybe they would take $600 for the $3500 - 4000+ worth in tank, light, other equipment and stock.

Back
Top Bottom