What else to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhemp34

Aquarium Advice Freak
oK...i'M GOING TO BE MOVING MY FRESHWATER TO MY 125G....THIS WILL ALL BE IN THE NEXT MONTH. i HAVE A STANDARD hoB FOR MY 55 WHAT FILTER DO I NEED TO GET FOR SW 55G? i AM THINKING ABOUT LIVE ROCKS BUT DONT KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR...TO MANY SALTWATER BOOKS WITH DIFFERENT IDEAS. aDDING CORAL IS THE LEAST OF MY WORRIES AT THIS POINT I JUST WANT TO GET SET UP AND CYCLING SOON...I'VE BEEN TOLD LIVE SALT, PROTEIN SKIMMER, LIVE ROCK, AND FILTER...ARE THOS THE ONLY BASICS YOU'LL RECCOMMEND..I WANT THIS TO BE A SEAMLESS TRANSISTION SO ANY ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Also wats a basic lighting i can do..i'm thinking a basic actinic bulbs because i'm really nervouse about the whole coral thing...and with my family moving around so much i dont want to risk it...

Check your caps lock lol. You need a skimmer, CPR and Reef Octopus are good brands. Live rock will be your filter. Salt, yes the most important brand, asking what salt is best is like asking what football team to root for. You will need a refractometer to test SG. You will most likely need a RO/DI unit. You will need heaters and a thermometer. Do you want a sump? They will get heaters and all that junk out of the tank.

If you aren't getting coral, any light will do.

sorry corals wont be for some time......ok....i've heard of the refractometer....but the RO DI unit clueless...the salt i use will be premixed water from the LFS...i was wondering if PFS would work in a saltwater???? what the difference between FIJI premium and other LiveRock... I know my lfs rocks are over 7.99/lb....expensive...thinking a 55 would prob be 50-70 lbs.....i have got a person selling a full 75 with lgihts l/r and all for 350..her bf ditched her after she bought him the setup...sad but ...i dont wanna another tank

I would not use PFS, it is made of silica, so you will have silicates in the water and diatoms will feed off of that, so you will have MAJOR problems getting rid of them. You could buy that 75g setup and use your 55g as the sump, more water volume, the better. If you decide to use the 55g, you can get a mixture of base rock and live rock, you want 1-2lbs. per gallon. I think you could get away with 10lbs. of live rock and 50-80lbs. or so of base rock. Base rock is basically just dead rock that will become live over time and is a cheaper alternative to buying all live rock. Get dry aragonite sand.

Back
Top Bottom