What is this in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NuttyMalik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I keep RCS which I've never seen buried, Betta, Cory's, mts and rabbit snails I'm not sure what these are there are two clumps of them

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1475412470244.jpg
    1475412470244.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 157
They are not a RCS, a Betta anything not a Cory or MTS.

Maybe a Rabbit snail? Shellyx just had a batch of baby Tylo snails, maybe she can answer that, I'll send a PM to her to look.

Hi, could possibly be a rabbit snail due to the colour. Also rabbits love to bury during the day.
Have they moved at all?

70 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

Nope both of the clumps are still in the same place, I thought maybe my root tabs like broke and some bits came to the surface but I don't think that's it

Sorry I'm stumped! Maybe root's? I'd have a good look and see without disturbing anything ☺

30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

I may aswell just take them out I'll get back to you with a clearer picture later

What plants do you have? Some roots, rhizomes look like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What plants do you have? Some roots, rhizomes look like that.

I'm not sure on all the names but jungle val, Anubias Nana, and some plant that looks abit like tiny bamboo

Ok so I took one out and here it is
6b9e8c776c9686887c48b4a14e5dcfef.jpg

Do you add DIY root tabs or other fertilizers to the substrate? These look like the golden spheres found in Osmocote like fertilizers.

Yeah I do thought that might be it but didn't think it would dissolve this quickly and come to the top hope it won't kill my shrimp

Hey put it back!

I believe it is the Rabbit snail egg sac!!!!!!!!!!!

Unusual but I saw a you tube video of it coming out of it!

Last edited:
+1 on egg sac, I'd put it back and let mummy remove it! Mine usually eats the sac till the baby comes out . If it's not fertile it will eventually dissolve.
Good luck with them ;) I've just counted 13 in my tank and there's probably more still in hiding :eek:

Oh I think I lost the 2 that I put out? but there's still quite a few there I just thought it would be osmocote because they were there like 2 days after I got them

Im really not sure if it's an egg all the rabbit snail eggs I've seen are whitish and not almost pure yellow and it wouldn't make sense for them to be there so soon after the snails got into the tank

ok so an update, im sure they are eggs from the rabbit snails now since i spooked one by lifting it up and i watched it drop one, but there are alot of them now and none of them have hatched :blink:

A momma snails gotta do what she's gotta do!!! LOL

So what are your tank parameters and how long has the tank been up, what are your pwc schedules??? Maybe the next batch will be fertile, maybe some of these will be too.

That is fascinating how they have their babies.

The mother rabbits can lay empty egg sacs mine did, but you probably will have a live baby in your tank somewhere! I thought mine were doing the same then when I upped the heat as I had Ich out they came all different sizes lol I've counted 13 but I bet there's more [emoji2] they really like the warm temps.

Back
Top Bottom