When should I change carbon filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jestocker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
20 gallon tank, just finished cycling a few days ago.
3 black Molly swordtail fish, approximate 2 months old.

I looked at the other filters in the pump and they have growth on them, do I leave that alone?

Would also like to add a bottom feeding fish, any suggestions? I read a plecostomus (spelling) was not a good idea as it might eat some still relatively small fish.

20 gallon tank, just finished cycling a few days ago.
3 black Molly swordtail fish, approximate 2 months old.

I looked at the other filters in the pump and they have growth on them, do I leave that alone?

Would also like to add a bottom feeding fish, any suggestions? I read a plecostomus (spelling) was not a good idea as it might eat some still relatively small fish.
Hi Jestocker,

I rinse my filter media in old aquarium water, every other water change.

Seems many people don't use carbon unless they need to get rid of a nasty aquarium smell, or if they need to filter any excess medications in the water.

Many people us a filter floss or extra sponge in the filter, instead of carbon. If you plan on using carbn, it loses it's effectiveness between 2 to 4 weeks, roughly.

I don't like pleco's myself but you may want to research the bristlenose pleco. Not sure if they are appropriate for a 20 gallon tank, but many people like them.

Definitely don't replace any filter media, you'll have another mini-cycle! You can rinse your media in old PWC water, but make sure to rinse it one piece at a time, waiting a week between, so not to lose too much bacteria.

A small pleco is quite suitable for your 20g, I'd get a clown pleco, or a bristlenose, or another species that does not exceed 5". It will not eat your fishies.

Moving this to the FW General discussion forum. More people will see it there.

Back
Top Bottom