Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today was a good day. The hatcheries purpose expanded today with the spawning of the albino cory cats. So another specie has been added and now I just need to get my C sterbai to spawn as well.
I also got another pleasant surprise today. The 1/2 Black pair #1 spawned again. That's 2 times in 3 weeks after not doing anything for 6 months. Even the female's finnage has started to grow back in after all the abuse she took from the male so maybe now that she is spawning again, he's less aggressive towards her? In trying to figure out what is happening with these fish, I decided to use the exact same slate they used the last time ( with a successful spawn) but moved it into a sterilized 2 1/2 gal tank. So if this spawn has issues like my other pairs, I have to think it's the fish and not me or what I have been doing.

The only downer for the day was the spawn from the Blushing - Barred Marble Veil pair. Just as before, there was a large number of dead eggs within 24 hours unlike when I pulled the last one where there were barely 1 or 2. So I will be pulling their spawns from now on and hopefully, I can get this fry issue fixed and have some nice babies from them. She does produce some nice large eggs and her fry were large because of it. They should be an easy fry to raise because of that. (y)

Yay I
Love good days! Cory babies hopefully! Do you ever upload pics of your fish? I don't
Think I've seen you post a pic yet. I think my veiltail is due to spawn again in the near future (a couple days?). Her tube is out and the lil egg pouch( for lack of a better term) has filled up... Not to the max yet and she has t cleaned a site yet so I doubt she will lay them today or tmrw. Could definitely be wrong about that however

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

Yay I
Love good days! Cory babies hopefully! Do you ever upload pics of your fish? I don't
Think I've seen you post a pic yet. I think my veiltail is due to spawn again in the near future (a couple days?). Her tube is out and the lil egg pouch( for lack of a better term) has filled up... Not to the max yet and she has t cleaned a site yet so I doubt she will lay them today or tmrw. Could definitely be wrong about that however

I seem to have reached my limit on pics in threads here but there are many pics of my fish and hatchery within this thread and the original "Wigglers at last!!!" thread ( in the breeder forum) as well as in my bio albums. No lack of fish pics and movies :brows: from me. ;) (y)

Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444791780.027985.jpg

Care to play the "guess that vent game?"

And also is this a blue pearl scale?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A quick update: Looks like the cory eggs are a bust. Not sure what happened as they were in their tank water they were spawned in with good aeration but next time, I WILL have a better setup for them to spawn in where I remove the parents instead of the eggs.

The new 1/2 black spawn is still going strong. 48 hours in and there are only 5 white eggs out of a large spawn. Fingers crossed again on these being good swimmers.(y)

Good luck with that sir [emoji1]
You keep me very interested!!!
(y)

Clem.

It appears that a new possibility has reared it's ugly head in this whole fry situation. If I am correct, I already fixed it but want to test it on a certain pair's next spawn. Now I need to wait for it. :facepalm:

The last 1/2 black spawn is still going strong. Getting ready to put them into their next grow out tank by the end of the week. The next spawn from that same pair has had a marvelous turnout so far. There were only 9 dead eggs total out of that big spawn when they hatched today. :dance: The wigglers are all over the tank now. I just need them to swim like their brothers and sisters and I'll be one happy camper. :D
I had to do a piggy back incubation with another spawn in that same tank with the new 1/2 blacks while I sterilized the other 2 1/2 gal tank so another spawn from pair #4 was in with the 1/2 blacks for 1 day. No ill effects on the 1/2 blacks obviously and that other spawn had no dead eggs on it after 24 hours. ( they were laid the day after the 1/2 blacks.) I had to do the piggy back thing again because the Gold marbles also spawned a day later and the bottle wasn't ready for new eggs yet. Today, there still are only 2 or 3 white eggs on the slate from #4 and the GM's spawn has their typical 10-12 dead eggs in the 24 hour timeframe. So now, I expect #4's spawn to hatch tomorrow and if all goes well, the GM's will hatch the next day. If these 2 other spawns swim, I think I have it figured out what has been happening. Before the reveal, I'll wait to see the swimmers. ;)(y)

A quick update: Looks like the cory eggs are a bust. Not sure what happened as they were in their tank water they were spawned in with good aeration but next time, I WILL have a better setup for them to spawn in where I remove the parents instead of the eggs.

The new 1/2 black spawn is still going strong. 48 hours in and there are only 5 white eggs out of a large spawn. Fingers crossed again on these being good swimmers.(y)

Good luck Andy!

It appears that a new possibility has reared it's ugly head in this whole fry situation. If I am correct, I already fixed it but want to test it on a certain pair's next spawn. Now I need to wait for it. :facepalm:

The last 1/2 black spawn is still going strong. Getting ready to put them into their next grow out tank by the end of the week. The next spawn from that same pair has had a marvelous turnout so far. There were only 9 dead eggs total out of that big spawn when they hatched today. :dance: The wigglers are all over the tank now. I just need them to swim like their brothers and sisters and I'll be one happy camper. :D
I had to do a piggy back incubation with another spawn in that same tank with the new 1/2 blacks while I sterilized the other 2 1/2 gal tank so another spawn from pair #4 was in with the 1/2 blacks for 1 day. No ill effects on the 1/2 blacks obviously and that other spawn had no dead eggs on it after 24 hours. ( they were laid the day after the 1/2 blacks.) I had to do the piggy back thing again because the Gold marbles also spawned a day later and the bottle wasn't ready for new eggs yet. Today, there still are only 2 or 3 white eggs on the slate from #4 and the GM's spawn has their typical 10-12 dead eggs in the 24 hour timeframe. So now, I expect #4's spawn to hatch tomorrow and if all goes well, the GM's will hatch the next day. If these 2 other spawns swim, I think I have it figured out what has been happening. Before the reveal, I'll wait to see the swimmers. ;)(y)
Hi Andy, I looked up some info and pics on Angels, and the half blacks are very nice looking by the way. I'm not sure if I have a preference to these fish , I like m all . I hope the fish spawn many times and bring you the quality you're looking for. [emoji39]

Clem.

Hi Andy, I looked up some info and pics on Angels, and the half blacks are very nice looking by the way. I'm not sure if I have a preference to these fish , I like m all . I hope the fish spawn many times and bring you the quality you're looking for. [emoji39]

Clem.

Thanks Clem.
The issue is to SELECTIVELY breed these fish to get good quality back into them. Truly, since I know the before and current states of the Freshwater Angelfish, I can say that most of today's fish are junk compared to days past. Fins, body shape and health all are poorer or different than from wild stocks. Even my friend's fish show signs of inbreeding but not as bad as what I have seen in the stores and some other breeders. That's because he admits that the fish he had available to him were worse than what he has in his stock so what can you do? My endeavor will take years to fix. That's just the facts. Wild blood needs to get back into these lines and that doesn't always happen over night. :facepalm: Will people care? I can't say but I care so I will at least try. ;)
Hopefully you will have success with your Angels and join in the force I am trying to build to get the junk out of the stores and better quality fish back onto the market. That means sacrificing some fish for the betterment of the lines. Culling is key. Here's the standards that you should be using to cull: TAS Library - Conformation Standards for Freshwater Angelfish

Good luck. (y)

Hey all, I just did a water change on my 20g breeding tanks, 5g, and by the time I poured out the water from the changes, my second pair were laying eggs! I'm excited and a little apprehensive. I should be moving my first batch of fry to the grow out tank in my basement in about a week. Hopefully all will go well. ???ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445099803.472106.jpg

That's an awesome pair! Gl! Ps where do you guys put your slate in the aquarium and where do you get it? I don't want to pull eggs from the filter intake

Thanks Clem.
The issue is to SELECTIVELY breed these fish to get good quality back into them. Truly, since I know the before and current states of the Freshwater Angelfish, I can say that most of today's fish are junk compared to days past. Fins, body shape and health all are poorer or different than from wild stocks. Even my friend's fish show signs of inbreeding but not as bad as what I have seen in the stores and some other breeders. That's because he admits that the fish he had available to him were worse than what he has in his stock so what can you do? My endeavor will take years to fix. That's just the facts. Wild blood needs to get back into these lines and that doesn't always happen over night. :facepalm: Will people care? I can't say but I care so I will at least try. ;)
Hopefully you will have success with your Angels and join in the force I am trying to build to get the junk out of the stores and better quality fish back onto the market. That means sacrificing some fish for the betterment of the lines. Culling is key. Here's the standards that you should be using to cull: TAS Library - Conformation Standards for Freshwater Angelfish

Good luck. (y)
Thanks Andy, I will read up on the info you sent me , and I hope other people here that share the interest will do the same.
As for me Andy I've come to the same beliefs about poor breeding. For example , just being a customer at my lfs and the many that surround me, I can see the crappy stuff people are buying , including me. The fish look sick to begin with and people have no idea what they are buying?
This is my experience so far, only because what I've learned more about this hobby there is a lot of flaws and misinformation in it .
But for the people who care enough and a common belief in the hobby, produce the best research , and produce higher quality. It makes me want to not buy from some of them , but not all are bad. This is where people like you and many others, they know who they are , make a difference...[emoji6]

Thanks a million wigglers !!!

Clem.

Hey all, I just did a water change on my 20g breeding tanks, 5g, and by the time I poured out the water from the changes, my second pair were laying eggs! I'm excited and a little apprehensive. I should be moving my first batch of fry to the grow out tank in my basement in about a week. Hopefully all will go well. ???View attachment 279306

I'm impressed!!![emoji40]
Good luck
Clem.

Thanks Andy, I will read up on the info you sent me , and I hope other people here that share the interest will do the same.
As for me Andy I've come to the same beliefs about poor breeding. For example , just being a customer at my lfs and the many that surround me, I can see the crappy stuff people are buying , including me. The fish look sick to begin with and people have no idea what they are buying?
This is my experience so far, only because what I've learned more about this hobby there is a lot of flaws and misinformation in it .
But for the people who care enough and a common belief in the hobby, produce the best research , and produce higher quality. It makes me want to not buy from some of them , but not all are bad. This is where people like you and many others, they know who they are , make a difference...[emoji6]

Thanks a million wigglers !!!

Clem.
I meant the lfs that I wouldn't buy from , not the local breeders or from other hobbyist's.

Sorry for that!!!

Clem

Question. It has been 2 weeks
Since the first spawn and I think it's spawning time again!?. The pair
Have finally started to clean the filter where they will spawn!?I need me some slate and another tank. Anyway I will let them have another go and hopefully they will get past 24 hours. Now should I
Leave the filter on or off? I turned the airdrome to the max because Ik it is important to have lots of air and movement to stop
Fungus. The filter would
Help with
This but not sure. Should I turn it on (I just turned it off) or should I keep it off?

Hey all, I just did a water change on my 20g breeding tanks, 5g, and by the time I poured out the water from the changes, my second pair were laying eggs! I'm excited and a little apprehensive. I should be moving my first batch of fry to the grow out tank in my basement in about a week. Hopefully all will go well. ???View attachment 279306

That's awesome, Don't be aprehensive. Once you get through a few spawns it just goes smooth as silk.

Question. It has been 2 weeks
Since the first spawn and I think it's spawning time again!?. The pair
Have finally started to clean the filter where they will spawn!?I need me some slate and another tank. Anyway I will let them have another go and hopefully they will get past 24 hours. Now should I
Leave the filter on or off? I turned the airdrome to the max because Ik it is important to have lots of air and movement to stop
Fungus. The filter would
Help with
This but not sure. Should I turn it on (I just turned it off) or should I keep it off?

what type of filter are you using?

Back
Top Bottom