Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All I know is F3 from wild stock, I'll have to check amazonas out for sure though.

Please post here when you find out. (y) F3 is still very close to wild stock which is probably why they still have that dotted pattern. I would definitely look at the "New" varieties for identification. Maybe from areas closer to Peru? It is either P. Scalare or P. eimekei. The spots may be the difference of classification?
Thanks (y)

Does Jan/Feb 2013 sound right. I've never heard of eimekei and the possibility has me excited, but I've never been an angelfish guy so I've been way out of the loop and thought there were only 3 Pterophyllum species.

Does Jan/Feb 2013 sound right. I've never heard of eimekei and the possibility has me excited, but I've never been an angelfish guy so I've been way out of the loop and thought there were only 3 Pterophyllum species.

Yes, I believe that's the one. (y) Some BEAUTIFUL Angels in that story. :D Some of the reds had me salivating. :lol:

A little history: P eimekei was first thought to be a separate specie then it was deemed a synonym for P Scalare but, as you will see in the magazine, the author is making a case ( a good one in my opinion) for P eimekei to actually be a 4th type of Angelfish separate from P scalare. In the past 15-20 years, many new areas of the Amazon were discovered and/or explored and with that, many different Angelfish have been "discovered". For whatever reason, taxonomically they are being called P scalare with the explanation that all of them are just geographical adaptations of the same fish. This could be right or it could be wrong. I have no idea but would love to find out. :brows:

I don't have the magazine in my possession anymore but I believe I saw one in there with spots similar to yours. (y)

Hope this helps (y)

Yes, I believe that's the one. (y) Some BEAUTIFUL Angels in that story. :D Some of the reds had me salivating. :lol:

A little history: P eimekei was first thought to be a separate specie then it was deemed a synonym for P Scalare but, as you will see in the magazine, the author is making a case ( a good one in my opinion) for P eimekei to actually be a 4th type of Angelfish separate from P scalare. In the past 15-20 years, many new areas of the Amazon were discovered and/or explored and with that, many different Angelfish have been "discovered". For whatever reason, taxonomically they are being called P scalare with the explanation that all of them are just geographical adaptations of the same fish. This could be right or it could be wrong. I have no idea but would love to find out. :brows:

I don't have the magazine in my possession anymore but I believe I saw one in there with spots similar to yours. (y)

Hope this helps (y)

It's funny how I walked through this guy's fishroom and passed all of the golds, koi , even quarter sized full reds that he was growing out and it was the fish that stopped me in my tracks. I guess I am the "boring" wild type guy lol.

Your info is always helpful that's why we come to you:cool:

You can back order it from them, andy.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I checked the store around the corner from me and they had a lot of back issues, unfortunately not the one I was looking for, but I did get the rare pleco issue that a friend of mine was in.

I guess we finally found something that I am a noob at, eh

Last edited:
Back order straight from them. Subscribe and you have access to its digital version anytime ya want.

Noob, nah never. Your the man gillie.

You can back order it from them, andy.

I understand that, even have the link for the store in my favorites folder:brows: but that doesn't help me look up the pic I remember because it may not be in that issue. LOL My buddy has the mag in his store so I can look at it again when I get down there. (y) I just seem to remember something special about the eimekei pic. Sadly, I have some old books that use the P.eimekei name but the pics are drawings not photos so that didn't help either. :facepalm: But the name game has been a long ongoing issue with many older people in the hobby ( cough, cough ;) ) because we remember that name from a loooooooooong time ago. :D:lol: Now that there seems to be new evidence of it's validity, it cranks up us old timers. :brows::D:lol:

As for you, Gillie, being the "boring wild type guy", far from it. To me ( and apparently you too ;) ) today's domestic Angels are nothing compared to the wild forms of these fish. The body shape has changed, the fin shapes have changed, the colors have changed and their behavior has even changed. I'll take a wild fish over every fish I've seen in the past 30 years any day of the week. (y)(y) I only wish I had the facility to bring in all the different wild variations that have been found. I'd even give up my 1/2 blacks for that :eek: :lol:

As for your other comment, glad I can help, whenever I can. (y)

My favorite professor is well known for saying "Taxonomy is the work of the devil"... Case in point right here. Eime, ekei, miney, moe!

My favorite professor is well known for saying "Taxonomy is the work of the devil"... Case in point right here. Eime, ekei, miney, moe!

Scale counts and fin rays don't lie but how was someone all those years ago supposed to know that some other Joe Blow found something in another part of the world or even the same country that looked exactly like that but they named it something else. And in LATIN no less!!:facepalm::facepalm::lol: What do you think would happen if, say, the original fish finders saw fish like, say, Balloon Mollies, in the wild? They would most likely think they were a different specie unless they knew their history. It's mind boggling.... if you let be. :blink::lol: (y)

I understand that, even have the link for the store in my favorites folder:brows: but that doesn't help me look up the pic I remember because it may not be in that issue. LOL My buddy has the mag in his store so I can look at it again when I get down there. (y) I just seem to remember something special about the eimekei pic. Sadly, I have some old books that use the P.eimekei name but the pics are drawings not photos so that didn't help either. :facepalm: But the name game has been a long ongoing issue with many older people in the hobby ( cough, cough ;) ) because we remember that name from a loooooooooong time ago. :D:lol: Now that there seems to be new evidence of it's validity, it cranks up us old timers. :brows::D:lol:

As for you, Gillie, being the "boring wild type guy", far from it. To me ( and apparently you too ;) ) today's domestic Angels are nothing compared to the wild forms of these fish. The body shape has changed, the fin shapes have changed, the colors have changed and their behavior has even changed. I'll take a wild fish over every fish I've seen in the past 30 years any day of the week.

Which brings us to my next question how does it look as far as body shape and finnage? If anything is off about it I would hate to get more and perpetuate "funk"

Which brings us to my next question how does it look as far as body shape and finnage? If anything is off about it I would hate to get more and perpetuate "funk"

That's going to depend on what it actually is. Some Angel types have a more triangular body but not all of them do. Some circular but not all. So without knowing what it is, it's hard to compare it to what it's "supposed" to look like.

That said, this one appears to have a shorter Dorsal than Anal fin but is that because the top is missing or that the top is done growing? In most wilds, the Dorsal and Anal fins are the same length ( if they haven't been eaten off by some other fish.) So I don't want to condemn or promote this fish without further identification. It might be a perfect whoseadingy but a lousy whatchamacallit. :lol: ( FYI, it's the spots that really have my attention. :brows: ;) )(y)

The fish is only about 2 1/2" so I hope the fin is still growing, looking at the fish now, both fins look to be about the same length, but the anal fun has some long filaments. Which may make it look longer?

Oh boy, that is a big difference

This is what I am talking about between wild and domestic fish. The looks are so different. I also saw a video titled Topajo river which also contained Angels. Some of those fish seemed to have an extra stripe that was more visible than others. Would that make them a different Angel? I don't know but I am envious of those who get to see them in the natural environment all the time. ;)(y)

yay for free swimmers. They started taking off from the slate early this morning and about 90% of them are up and about now. Happy this has worked out.

Still no free-swimmer angelfish fry here. Expecting them sometime by tomorrow morning, since they became wigglers saturday. And I have bbs hatcheries going and ready for them!

Back
Top Bottom