Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm thinking of adding a few more. I'm not sure if I mentioned that one of my other angels is showing some aggression as if he's trying to pair off

Mine spawned again today. Right on 11 days again. This makes 4 spawns that I've pulled. Chugga chugga choo choo! Or as my wife is singing Money, money, money!

I've got a question. If a pair gets together, are they a pair for life, or can another male "interrupt"? I think Blackie is taking over Bubba's position! Bubba is the oldest fish I have in this house, but Blackie is almost as big as him now, and he's of age, and I just witnessed him pretty much make Bubba go in the corner. I wonder if that's why the spawning hasn't happened??????

if im rite and i think i am the males will fight to pair off with the females. no they don't mate for life . just 2 weeks ago i had a pair i had to split up because he was not doing his part in fertilizing the eggs. so i put a blue male in there and shazam i had good eggs and now the male i pulled out has paired with a koi so all is happy. lol

i use frozen blood worms and whole frozen brine shrimp to prime them for breeding. PROTEIN dose wonders. alternate with a good flake food

I've got a question. If a pair gets together, are they a pair for life, or can another male "interrupt"? I think Blackie is taking over Bubba's position! Bubba is the oldest fish I have in this house, but Blackie is almost as big as him now, and he's of age, and I just witnessed him pretty much make Bubba go in the corner. I wonder if that's why the spawning hasn't happened??????

Quite coincidentally, just last night I was reading an article online that stated that Angelfish pair for life. I was going to comment but then saw the article was a couple of years old. I never found this to be true. I've even 'Made" pairs by selecting proven males and females and giving them the right conditions to spawn. I've also replaced members of pairs when one mate would die or not produce viable spawns. So I would have to say that NO, they don't mate for life HOWEVER, once they do pair off, they stick to the one mate unless that mate is no longer available.

As for the Blackie takeover, once the dominant male takes over the female, spawning should occur. If it still doesn't, the conditions in your tank are not right for spawning. Start testing ;)

Hope this helps (y)

I think my female is going blind in one eye. It's beginning to frost over. What would cause that?

Bacterial infection from pre spawning fighting, most likely. Separate her and treat with meds or put a clear divider in the tank so she still sees her mate but he can't damage her any further and medicate. The good news is that even if she loses the eye, she can still spawn. It's just, why make her go through all that when you can save the eye? Also, Keep an active sponge filter in another tank as a backup as most antibiotics will supress the Benificial Bacteria as well. Once the treatment is done, replace the existing filter with the backup.

Hope this helps (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom