Would you ever ...........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
haha I was siphoning out some left over bloodworms before my angel exploded from eating so many and it had some dirt in the lines and i took a mouthfull of dirt, tank water and bloodworm juice. As soon as i got them out i spit for 10 min and brushed my teeth

So you suck on the gravel vac to get the siphon? Why not submerge it, turn it to get all the air out, plug the end with your thumb and bring it down to the bucket, and then take your thumb off? That will start the siphon without sucking on it.

i suck on all my hoses to get it syphoning cause ive tried everything but once it hits on point it wont come out.
i had a horrid experiance. its not so bad just getting dirty water. but i was treating my betta for stuff with marcryn for a week. and i hadnt changed his water for that whole time but the brown algea stuff was in it. and well the hose would get clogged and since the tank is only 1.5 gallon its kinda hard to get unclogged. and it kept stop sucking.
i got way to many mouthfuls. thats the only water that actually tasted and smelt bad tho. as i have two other tanks. and had it happen a million times.
My father actually has some kind of sucker thing. and it does it for you . he doesnt know where the guy got it from but i think maybe a hardware store or something. cause i sure as hell know pet stores dont.
If anyone has any ideas what it could possibly be and get it let me know. so i dont have to drink tank watter four or five times a week .. :)

Ky'smommy said:
i suck on all my hoses to get it syphoning cause ive tried everything but once it hits on point it wont come out.
i had a horrid experiance. its not so bad just getting dirty water. but i was treating my betta for stuff with marcryn for a week. and i hadnt changed his water for that whole time but the brown algea stuff was in it. and well the hose would get clogged and since the tank is only 1.5 gallon its kinda hard to get unclogged. and it kept stop sucking.
i got way to many mouthfuls. thats the only water that actually tasted and smelt bad tho. as i have two other tanks. and had it happen a million times.
My father actually has some kind of sucker thing. and it does it for you . he doesnt know where the guy got it from but i think maybe a hardware store or something. cause i sure as hell know pet stores dont.
If anyone has any ideas what it could possibly be and get it let me know. so i dont have to drink tank watter four or five times a week .. :)

The trick is to coil the gac up, keep it completely under water and rotate it to get the air bubbles out of the hose. When all the air is out, then plug up one end and lift it out of the tank and down to the bucket, then release. Will create it's own siphon. I never suck on any of my hoses. And I have a 3 foot gravel vac, so I just coil it and do what I need to remove the air. Works every time.

oh so you mean fill the whole damn thing with water. then plug the end you would sucka and it will work?
apparently i didnt know that. my dad tried to tell me. but his way was the plug it and put it all in the water then pull it up a few times. but it never worked. lol.
thanks lone

yup. There can't be any air in the hose, or the air will break the siphon. Just twist and turn it til you get all the air out.

Ky'smommy said:

Sure they do...at least 3 manufacturers of aquarium supplies have offered siphon-starter bulbs over the past few years...Marina does (see attached pic), and Hagen has a self-starting gravel-vac ( http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=106&PROD_ID=01110600010101 ).

The real concern is not so much getting a mouthful of nasty water, but what happened to a woman I know when she was learning to 'suck-start' a siphon. Instred of sucking to start the siphon, this woman inhaled (god only knows what possessed her to inhale), and she ended up with a lungful of sludge-laden aquarium water which translated into a nasty bacterial respiratory infection, which translated into a week's vacation in a hospital ward.

Attachments

• siphon-starter-bulb_806.jpeg
    siphon-starter-bulb_806.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 200
My fathers is somthing like that. but much smaler and still they dont sell them here.
And that story is horrible i cant beleive that. Ewww. Well i think im glad i didnt accidently swallow or inhale.
Eww eww.
Well at least i learned my lesson and learned how to do it.

You guys suck at gravel vaccuming (no punn intended). I do like Lonewolfblue does.

I was going to ask if anyone ever tasted bloodworms, but I see someone did get a mouthfull. What's it taste like? Ah nevermind, you'll probably say like chicken or something. Everything seems to taste like chicken to everyone.

I wouldn't even think of drinking the fishy water. I put baking soda in it, which is pretty gross as it is.

I guess you could treat a bit of water like you would for your tank and sample a bit of that, then you wouldn't get all the gross stuff from your tank along with any parasites, bacterias, etc. Myself, I'll just stick with the stuff out of the tap as it is. Water in British Columbia is pretty good compared to lots of other places where I've had it.

This kinda reminds me of that movie Bride of Chucky where Chucky is sipping the water from Tiffany's Gold Fish bowl.

I suck-start all my siphons, and have not accidentally tasted fish-water in years....and to be fair, if your tank is well-filtered and you do frequent cleanings and water-changes, the water in your tank should be no more nasty than from a healthy lake or stream.

Back
Top Bottom