10 gallon Vivarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I went to Lowes and Walmart. I got the following: a 6500 K bulb, Aluminum screening, a 22g Rubbermaid container, and a spray bottle.I already set up the light and it looks better with the new color.

Awsome. You are doing it in a rubbermaid container? I thought you were doing the frogs in the 10g? Or is this for the roaches?

sounds like you on your way. I wanted to give you props on doing your research and doing things the right way.

Thanks. Today, just after getting my bulb, my fixtue stopped working. The electric wire coming out the back is loose and i think I'll have to buy another one :/ lol

Could you try repairing it? If it is just a wire loose maybe you can re-soder it...

On a side note I don't know if you guys get discovery down there, but in Canada we have a show called Daily Planet. Anyways they just did a segment on a guy who breeds and sells crickets. There might be some things you could learn in there. On thing I did notice is he uses ice cubes in a dish, with egg crate cardboard stuff about half way over it. He says it keeps them hydrated without causing mold or too much smell. (That might be relative to what he considers to much, and what your mom would consider too much...) I think as long as you changed the ice cubes daily you wouldn't have to worry though...

I have never heard of it, and i love discovery. The reason why he does that is so that they can stay hydrated and the cardboard is so they don't drown in the water. The ice cubes is a good idea though. Most people use sponges or they put water in with rocks in the water so they cant drown.

ya, it would work better for long turm use. I would put a small sponge under it too to keep the water.

I don't have a sodering iron and I bought a bulb the other day not the fixture so I can't return it but mfdrookie is giving me a free screw-in light fixture (since 'm giving him rocks) and I'll put in 2 10w cfls (I already have one lol).

Sounds like you got it handled. The only thing with those kind of light is you need to watch your temps during summer, but it might help for winter. The produce more heat then the PC lighting.

lol, so funny. That would work. Do you need info on them now too? The only thing is that i think that you would need to supplement in the occasional crickets as well, especially when acclimating them to the new food (dubia roaches). Here is a good care sheet (geckos-leopard - Care Sheets Information about Leopard Geckos Lizards geckos-leopard ,characteristics and sexing, Description of Diet, Diet-Carnivorous,Supplements, Nutrition and Usage - calcium and vitamins, Lighting and UVB,Tempatures and Humidity,). I just wanted to make sure to say do not use any sort of substrate because the leo can eat the substrate on accident while hunting and become compacted which you REALLY do not want to deal with. A complete solid substrate works the best since these animals are naturally a rock dwelling animal. Something like all slate or tile, alot of people use paper towels for easy clean up but personally i like the look of slate better. Another thing do not use a heater rock inside the tank because it could burn your leo. Also remember that your leo is nocturnal so he is gonna be more active at night.

Thanks for telling me all that, but I kinda already knew lol it like substrate causing impaction etc.. I've done a lot of research on them before when I considered having some a couple yeas ago and reading stuff last nite brang back my memory lol. and I was going to feed mealies with occasional crickets. Thanks for the website, always appreciate that. So many decisions. Do you know of any plansfor a sit aluminum screen top? Lol

Honestly i don't have any plans but i know that thincat does, the only thing is he uses acrylic screening which is safe for aquariums you would just use aluminum. I could build it out of wood. You can also buy them at petco and other places pretty cheap.

Back
Top Bottom