20Long planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I had to do a water change today, tannins were leeching pretty bad. But yes its pretty cool how much the soil helps grow the plants. Im gonna move this tank tomorrow as well to my room so I can add a clip on light with a 6500k bulb for better growth. Im gonna be using a reptile clip on for it because the inside is white and its a great reflector! I should be reaching fairly high light then. Then I need some ferts and root tabs and definitely more plants. You can still get one! They are on sale still

Ah I see! I'm probably going to move my 46 before I get my angelfish. I want it in a different spot.

I just have nowhere to put the 20L. Or the 20 high I have right now lol.

My favorite soil of all time is "fox farms ocean forest". They have the best nutrients, the best mix, the best thickness. Just an all around amazing product. I've grown such beautiful plants in their soil. I kind of like this idea though. Maybe I'll do it in my 46. Was it difficult?

Ah I see! I'm probably going to move my 46 before I get my angelfish. I want it in a different spot.

I just have nowhere to put the 20L. Or the 20 high I have right now lol.

My favorite soil of all time is "fox farms ocean forest". They have the best nutrients, the best mix, the best thickness. Just an all around amazing product. I've grown such beautiful plants in their soil. I kind of like this idea though. Maybe I'll do it in my 46. Was it difficult?

No its very easy. The soil has to be 100% organic or your fish could definitely die in it. Id use miracle grow organics. I'll take a pic of the bag tomorrow morning amd post it. I did 2 inches miracle grow and 1 inch PFS to cap it so nothing floats. The biggest problem is getting water in the tank without disturbing the soil. It took 45 minutes to an hour to add 20g of water. I used a cup very slowly over my hand to break up the distribution so nothing was agitated

No its very easy. The soil has to be 100% organic or your fish could definitely die in it. Id use miracle grow organics. Ilk take a pic of the bag tomorrow morning amd post it. I did 2 inches miracle grow and 1 inch PFS to cao it so nothing floats. The biggest problem is getting water in the tank without disturbing the soil. It too 45 minutes to an hour to add 20g of water. I used a cup very slowly over my hand to break up the distribution so nothing was agitated

Haha, that means it'd take me 2+ hours to use that method for a 46 gallon :p.

I'll have to look into it a bit more. But that's something different, I'd like to try it. Plus I bet the plants love it.

Haha, that means it'd take me 2+ hours to use that method for a 46 gallon :p.

I'll have to look into it a bit more. But that's something different, I'd like to try it. Plus I bet the plants love it.

To me it was definitely worth it. I bought a huge bag of the organics too and I didnt even use half. It was 9 bucks. Im gonna use the rest when I decide to plant my lizards aquarium

To me it was definitely worth it. I bought a huge bag of the organics too and I didnt even use half. It was 9 bucks. Im gonna use the rest when I decide to plant my lizards aquarium

Good idea. What kind of lizard you have?

I used to own an iguana when I was younger. Then I went on vacation for Christmas, power ended up going out at the house & he froze to death. I was like 10ish at the time. He was like 2 years old though. Custom made cage. I've always wanted to get another reptile or sorts, but when I have my own place. Lol. My dad couldn't handle that.

Good idea. What kind of lizard you have?

I used to own an iguana when I was younger. Then I went on vacation for Christmas, power ended up going out at the house & he froze to death. I was like 10ish at the time. He was like 2 years old though. Custom made cage. I've always wanted to get another reptile or sorts, but when I have my own place. Lol. My dad couldn't handle that.

Dang that sucks. Someone told me the same thing at work yesterday. I have a texas spiny tail lizard. She is neat and fun to watch. She was wild so she isnt all for being handled
img_2629823_0_f1e41a8003f275fd49d6eca349e79218.jpg

img_2629823_1_7df69b3b28913c4685c68fcfeba69260.jpg

img_2629823_2_57ec5377683e595eb3d09b5b162be82c.jpg

Dang that sucks. Someone told me the same thing at work yesterday. I have a texas spiny tail lizard. She is neat and fun to watch. She was wild so she isnt all for being handled

Wow! I have a bunch of those all around my house. Some are small but I've seen some as big as a beer bottle (considerably small compared to the reptiles of the past, dinosaurs) lol. That's cool though. I've seen a bunch of huge aquariums for sale at cheap prices because they leak lol. I want to get one now & get a lizard, snake, turtle. Something.

Wow! I have a bunch of those all around my house. Some are small but I've seen some as big as a beer bottle (considerably small compared to the reptiles of the past, dinosaurs) lol. That's cool though. I've seen a bunch of huge aquariums for sale at cheap prices because they leak lol. I want to get one now & get a lizard, snake, turtle. Something.

I wish I could get her a 75g tank. The wife said no. I say too bad and im getting it. She would be in a forest if I did that. Tons of climbing and all. She laid eggs a month ago but they all molded somehow

I wish I could get her a 75g tank. The wife said no. I say too bad and im getting it. She would be in a forest if I did that. Tons of climbing and all. She laid eggs a month ago but they all molded somehow

Haha, she would definitely love that! "Now there's a bunch of room for all kinds of activities" lol. Step brothers quote :p.

That's to bad. Do lizards need their eggs fertilized?

Haha, she would definitely love that! "Now there's a bunch of room for all kinds of activities" lol. Step brothers quote :p.

That's to bad. Do lizards need their eggs fertilized?

Ummm? Im not sure? They need to be incubated if the lizard doesnt bury them and moist as well

Ummm? Im not sure? They need to be incubated if the lizard doesnt bury them and moist as well

Ahh it says reptile eggs can't ever be moved or the reptile inside dies. I never knew that. :eek:. Crazy. Hot & moist. Not many moist places around here lol.

Ahh it says reptile eggs can't ever be moved or the reptile inside dies. I never knew that. :eek:. Crazy. Hot & moist. Not many moist places around here lol.

Yes they can be moved but you cannot turn the eggs or they die because once the eggs settle, there is an air pocket at the top and if fliped they basically become scrambled

Moved the tank today and added a 6500k clip on light. Looks pretty good. I think 2 would be better
img_2630600_0_15a129c7ef929a5c9495486f04783f88.jpg

Shoulda painted the back of the tank while you were at it... ;) lookin good though, I love that giant hg!

Yeah I know but my wife and I are on a super tight budget this week. Next major water change ill paint it or do the poster board like I did my 36bowfront

What would carbon do for my tank exactly?
Will it help remove the tannin coloration?

Can someone explain it?

What would carbon do for my tank exactly?
Will it help remove the tannin coloration?

Can someone explain it?

Activated carbon will indiscriminately remove substances that cause discoloration, odors, etc. This includes tannins, medicines, and fertilizers. Purigen is another popular chemical filter media, however, it does not remove plant fertilizers and can be recharged.
Drift wood can leach tannins for a long time. PWCs are helpful for removing tannins.

Activated carbon will indiscriminately remove substances that cause discoloration, odors, etc. This includes tannins, medicines, and fertilizers. Purigen is another popular chemical filter media, however, it does not remove plant fertilizers and can be recharged.
Drift wood can leach tannins for a long time. PWCs are helpful for removing tannins.

So its safe to use with miracle grow in there too

Carbon removing ferts we add into the water is a big debate. Honestly I've used it in many planted tanks and have never seen an indication or change in plants that would suggest nutrients were being removed. I am definitely not wanting to start a debate but just putting out both sides of the argument on carbon and ferts.

OP, I know there are only 2 plants in the tank right now but for future reference you don't want to put any focal plant, DW, etc., dead center in a tank.

Back
Top Bottom