20Long planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carbon removing ferts we add into the water is a big debate. Honestly I've used it in many planted tanks and have never seen an indication or change in plants that would suggest nutrients were being removed. I am definitely not wanting to start a debate but just putting out both sides of the argument on carbon and ferts.

OP, I know there are only 2 plants in the tank right now but for future reference you don't want to put any focal plant, DW, etc., dead center in a tank.

May I ask why?

I see now! I just always used them as a CP because they get soo big. Once bigger im moving it to my 36g and once too big ill split or propagate it and move it around.

So far I have some plants I wanna try.

HC of course. I know it need pretty high light and co2 and its hard as crap to keep alive but I wanna give it a go with glut.

I also wanna try S. Repens. So far thats it. I can get those as package plants from my work and attemp that way. Ill also be doing some java fern and not sure what else. Any ideas? Im not a fan of the stem dandelion looking plants

I see now! I just always used them as a CP because they get soo big. Once bigger im moving it to my 36g and once too big ill split or propagate it and move it around.

So far I have some plants I wanna try.

HC of course. I know it need pretty high light and co2 and its hard as crap to keep alive but I wanna give it a go with glut.

I also wanna try S. Repens. So far thats it. I can get those as package plants from my work and attemp that way. Ill also be doing some java fern and not sure what else. Any ideas? Im not a fan of the stem dandelion looking plants

Anything in the rotala genus would be a good addition. I like them, they add great dynamics to a tank.

Here is a few pics

This is of the new growths since I got the plant
Before
img_2631619_0_cabe3ca4c59f68ac784aba2f2d4c947b.jpg

After
img_2631619_1_52e33eb61bdbbc675e0bd6e60ae14197.jpg

New growth
img_2631619_2_98897a94297a1dea9d70c4ea98dbf344.jpg

And my betta in his vast ocean!
img_2631619_3_017d034f569c1082ffd0b157c00a2859.jpg
img_2631619_4_1e23da858bee284bf76feb23d445432c.jpg
img_2631619_5_028df9b0ba459a26271ccfaf01728227.jpg

You're betta is GOURGEOUS! :) I thought you said it was a male? Looks like a female to me.

Not a female, just a short finned (plakat) male. I have one too.

Not sure how I didn't find this thread sooner! The tank is looking great so far, and the betta is gorgeous. Just get a lid so he doesn't jump out again! I keep lids on all betta tanks unless I can keep the water level at least 2 inches below the rim.

Also, such a cute shepherd pup! Good luck with her, she is beautiful.

I've found that H2O2 does better for spot treating on Swords. Often times liquid carbon makes brown spots on the Sword leaves where you treat them.

BBA? Spot treat it before it gets out of hand with some excel or hydrogen peroxide. How long are you leaving the lights on and what's your nitrate at?

I need to test. I dont have excel or peroxide. I cut the lights on at 730am and turn them off at around 11pm (I know too much) and im gonna definitely reduce the lighting

Yeah way too much light! Almost 17 hours? :lol: I'd cut it down to less than half of that... Just a tip, depending on when you're home or more active at home, I usually run my lights in the late afternoon to evening, because that's when I'm able to enjoy them. Mine come on at 2 and off at 9.

Yeah way too much light! Almost 17 hours? :lol: I'd cut it down to less than half of that... Just a tip, depending on when you're home or more active at home, I usually run my lights in the late afternoon to evening, because that's when I'm able to enjoy them. Mine come on at 2 and off at 9.

I did lower it to 6 hours a day. Algae seems to be leaving now. Here are some update pics of growth on the only 2 plants I have for now
img_2636971_0_52865ffd7744f26f8006b72f60ff46e4.jpg
img_2636971_1_a4896ad6c3e5f5430ae2f112c56f245b.jpg

Of course. There's always an excuse for another tank. ;) I just set a new one up and am already planning another project. :)

Of course. There's always an excuse for another tank. ;) I just set a new one up and am already planning another project. :)

Well it would be for my lizard to have a jungle! I dont think my floor can support that kind of weight

Back
Top Bottom