55 Gallon Freshwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
McLumpy said:
Stress more than likely has something to do w/ it. I noticed earlier that she has, (what looks like), fungus on her tail fin. :( She was resting on the gravel when I got home from work and didn't swim up for food. So, I decided to place her back in the breeder tank and feed her more shelled peas. Again, she gobbled them right up!

At least this situation explained, in some way, what could be happening with your fish.

In your best guess, how do you think that these infections got into your tank? I mean, you take care really well of your tanks, properly cycled, PWC, etc. I don't understand :-(

At least this situation explained, in some way, what could be happening with your fish.

In your best guess, how do you think that these infections got into your tank? I mean, you take care really well of your tanks, properly cycled, PWC, etc. I don't understand :-(

I have no idea. The only thing I can think of is that some of the LFS water got into my tank, but that would be virtually impossible.

When I acclimate my fish, I float them in the bag for 30 min's, add a little tank water to the bag, float them again for 15 min's, then I repeat the last step again.

When I get ready to add the fish to the tank, I place my breader box in a tupperware container and place it in the sink. I then slowly pour my fish out of the bag and into the containers. When I'm ready to move them over, I pull the breeder box up, (slowly), and let the water drain out into the tupperware dish. Then I slowly lower the breeder box into the tank. I let the fishes rest in the breeder box for a minute or so, then I slowly pour them out into the tank.

So, the chance of cross-contamination is highly unlikely.

Sadly, I 've come to the realization that mysterious illnesses and deaths are going to play a huge role in my tank. :(

Thank you for the kind words, Daileene! He was such a cool looking fish and I was really hoping to get some nice looking fry. /sigh

Mimi doesn't appear to be coming out of her funk either. She spends the majority of her time resting on the bottom of the tank or occasionally in the plants. It doesn't look good. :(

I am so sorry she is sick too. I hope she will feel much better soon. :(

I am so sorry she is sick too. I hope she will feel much better soon. :(

Thanks... I hope so too! She doesn't look good, but she's fighting.

I currently have her floating in the breeder box in my 55g. I gave her an Epsom salt bath yesterday and she looks less bloated today, so that's a plus. However, she has some damage on her tail where a large section of the scales are missing. :(

I'm going to keep her in the breeder box for now because I let her loose in the tank yesterday and she just rested sideways in the plants. When she did swim, it was at a 45 degree angle, (head up, tail down). She appears very comfortable in the BB and she's eating peas, but I have yet to see her have a bowel movement. :confused:

I finally got the new heater for my 10g, so I plan on setting up a hospital tank for her as soon as I can and use the old heater in that tank. In the interim, I'm just going to keep monitoring her, feeding her peas, and give her salt baths once a day.

I completed the Melafix/Pimafix treatment yesterday, so when she was done w/ her salt bath, I did a 40/20% pwc. The water is always pristine, so I don't understand how she can be having these issues and why I lost my male Molly! Ugh!!

This sucks! :(

Thanks... I hope so too! She doesn't look good, but she's fighting.

I currently have her floating in the breeder box in my 55g. I gave her an Epsom salt bath yesterday and she looks less bloated today, so that's a plus. However, she has some damage on her tail where a large section of the scales are missing. :(

I'm going to keep her in the breeder box for now because I let her loose in the tank yesterday and she just rested sideways in the plants. When she did swim, it was at a 45 degree angle, (head up, tail down). She appears very comfortable in the BB and she's eating peas, but I have yet to see her have a bowel movement. :confused:

I finally got the new heater for my 10g, so I plan on setting up a hospital tank for her as soon as I can and use the old heater in that tank. In the interim, I'm just going to keep monitoring her, feeding her peas, and give her salt baths once a day.

I completed the Melafix/Pimafix treatment yesterday, so when she was done w/ her salt bath, I did a 40/20% pwc. The water is always pristine, so I don't understand how she can be having these issues and why I lost my male Molly! Ugh!!

This sucks! :(

((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))) I hope this will help you feel better...:-(

Sorry to hear u are having so many issues... It really stinks :( I had so many
Issues with my ten gallon... I had I
Pleco I was going to move to my 55 but he was In a tank full of sick fish more than once and I was a terrible newbie + PetSmart fish = disaster :( he died and it was sad. I made my husband take care of him. I think what I had to realize is fish are like ppl... Some of them just get sick and some " just die" no matter how hard u try. U just have to do the best u can and know have. I've lost sleep over my fish. I have to kind of tell myself they're just fish or I'll
Go crazy!! Lol!! Remember some
Fish "just die " but some fish pull out too...don't give up there is
Always hope :D you are taking more care than most ppl would and there is a
Satisfaction in that :)

Ps remember malefix? Hehe hope that made u smile :D

Update on my Molly

Mimi is still hanging on, (surprisingly), and I'm hoping that she will pull through this illness. I did some research yesterday and I'm beginning to think she has Livebearer Disease, (on top of whatever else she has).

According to what I've read, Livebearer Disease is caused due to lack of Electrolytes in the water. Since I stopped adding Aquarium Salt to the tank, (shortly before I started adding live plants), that would make sense. This isn't the main issue she's having, but at least that would explain her 'wiggling', (my other Molly is doing that as well). However, with her other symptoms, I'm at a loss as to what could be the major illness/disease that's trying to kill her.

I've done a lot of research, but I'm completely befuddled! So... I'm on my way to the 'Unhealthy Fish' section in hopes that somebody knows what is wrong.

Good luck girl... :(

Thanks! I'm hoping someone knows what it could be and suggest a treatment. I've tried a few treatments, but the only thing that really helped was the salt baths. At first I thought she had Dropsy, but then the other symptoms started showing up. I posted a thread about it, so I hope someone can help!

It just sucks seeing her wasting away like this and it's not fair to let her suffer. I really don't want to euthanize another fish, but I'm afraid it's almost to that point. :(

McLumpy said:
Thanks! I'm hoping someone knows what it could be and suggest a treatment. I've tried a few treatments, but the only thing that really helped was the salt baths. At first I thought she had Dropsy, but then the other symptoms started showing up. I posted a thread about it, so I hope someone can help!

It just sucks seeing her wasting away like this and it's not fair to let her suffer. I really don't want to euthanize another fish, but I'm afraid it's almost to that point. :(

I'm sorry!! :-(
I'm not help, not experience here.

Hola!! McLumpy

Hope everything went well with your fish. I'm just curious about the results of the treatment. Like some people said:
No news, good news!!

:)

Hola!! McLumpy

Hope everything went well with your fish. I'm just curious about the results of the treatment. Like some people said:
No news, good news!!

Howdy, Ejaramillo! Thank you for your concern about 'my girls'! :)

The directions for the Maracyn Oxy state not to exceed 5 days, so yesterday was the last day of treatment. There has been little change in activity w/ Mimi, but Mini Mimi is swimming around more and eating again. Mimi's tail looks better in appearance, but it's still bent and she struggles to swim.

I'm going to do another pwc in the morning and treat the tank w/ a 1/2 tablet of Parasite Clear. I will then start another treatment w/ Melafix/Pimafix. I'm hoping that will work because I would like for Mini Mimi to get healthy enough so I can put her back in the 55g. Sadly, I'm afraid I will need to euthanize Mimi if she doesn't show any improvement after the treatment. :(

Honestly, I'm surprised that Mimi has lasted this long. It breaks my heart to lay her to rest, but she's constantly dragging her tail along the bottom of the tank and not eating much, (if she's eating at all-I haven't seen her eat for 2 weeks).

Anyway, I'll give an update on what happens.

Thanks McLumpy, good to hear that at least they are still kicking...lol

I wish you the best, I started my own journey with General cure from API to try to treat the tank, I'm suspicious of a internal or gill parasite.
Let's see how it works.

Thanks McLumpy, good to hear that at least they are still kicking...lol

I wish you the best, I started my own journey with General cure from API to try to treat the tank, I'm suspicious of a internal or gill parasite.
Let's see how it works.

Thanks! Please let me know how the General Cure works out for you.

I wish you all the luck w/ your fishes!

Back
Top Bottom