Amphibians or reptiles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's been a long time since I've posted, but I'm about to start making moves on this aquarium. It's a 90G bowfront tank. I was wanting to make it into a vivarium. Any ideas in how to separate the water from the land? What critters to keep? Any two species that can go together? I'm open on any suggestions?

Attachments

• image-2466940047.jpg
    image-2466940047.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 65
Beardie aren't what he's looking for. I assume he is changing this tank into a 50/50 tank. In which your best bet would be a false bottom. Often used for frog tanks. You don't have many options when it comes to mixing. Most amphibians and reptiles are kept species only. Dart frogs (I think as long as they're the same family) can be mixed. But it's best to double check that.

Oh wait, so you want half water, half land? Then in that case newts, frogs, maybe crested geckos

Beardie aren't what he's looking for. I assume he is changing this tank into a 50/50 tank. In which your best bet would be a false bottom. Often used for frog tanks. You don't have many options when it comes to mixing. Most amphibians and reptiles are kept species only. Dart frogs (I think as long as they're the same family) can be mixed. But it's best to double check that.

Mixing darts is bad, bad bad lol. Leads to hybrids which is very frowned upon. All amphibians and reptiles are species only

I disagree with both of you on mixing darts. I'm not suggesting he go out and buy one of every specie, and throw them in a pot. For example, you can house P. terribilis & D. imitator together with no problems. Obviously, if you have certain morphs you'd like to keep, then don't add other morphs into the picture. I know of two successful dart breeders, and one herpetologist who house a few species together, so I am sticking by my answer.

I disagree with both of you on mixing darts. I'm not suggesting he go out and buy one of every specie, and throw them in a pot. For example, you can house P. terribilis & D. imitator together with no problems. Obviously, if you have certain morphs you'd like to keep, then don't add other morphs into the picture. I know of two successful dart breeders, and one herpetologist who house a few species together, so I am sticking by my answer.

Yes you're right different genuses of darts can be housed together. Sorry thought you were talking about different morphs from the same genus. For example like you said phyllobates terribilis can be housed with raintomeya imitator. But dendrobates tinctorius "brazilian yellow head" cannot mix with dendrobates tinctorius "giant orange". Etc... No two morphs or species from the same genus can be mixed otherwise you will get mixed blood, which is bad

However as the op has probably never had darts, a beginner should not try mixing different genuses. With that example you gave it would be pretty difficult to keep the imitators fed as phyllobates are pigs and the thumbnails would be outcompeted for food. Plus thumbnails are tiny and not a good starter species lol. With that much water I wouldn't even do darts anyway, they'd drown. How about a whites tree frog?

Well, two solutions
Make both ends very tall with sand, ten leave the middle with nothing or little sad and fill the middle up
Make one end taller with substrate and one end with about 1/2 inch, then fill shallow end with water

Back
Top Bottom