Betta build, one more tank? Sure....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the BMLs are so pricey.. not that I'm cheap, just priced out the 18" xb, dimmer and suspension kit.. wow... just order a 16" finnex planted plus, it will fit the tank and I know what it's capable of, only $70 shipped... assuming I get a replacement for the strip light it will be going on the 10...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So you're going with a P+? And the current?

If you message BML, they can custom cut you a fixture to the length you're looking for. Worth a shot, imo. ;)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just the p plus.. I'm going to suspend it above the tank though. The bml is great, I do want one, just not very reasonable for this application, I'd be dimming it anyways. Maybe for my 75 when it gets going?!? The finnex was just my logical choice for the money/performance needs.

Just the p plus.. I'm going to suspend it above the tank though. The bml is great, I do want one, just not very reasonable for this application, I'd be dimming it anyways. Maybe for my 75 when it gets going?!? The finnex was just my logical choice for the money/performance needs.

I agree.

Sounds like a great idea.

I know you said you're not going to use them for this tank but we really like our BML's. They made both custom for us

Sent from my iPhone

I know you said you're not going to use them for this tank but we really like our BML's. They made both custom for us

Sent from my iPhone

I've heard nothing but good things about the performance, can't justify the cost for this tank. On a 21" tall tank?? I can def justify that;)

A little late to the party here, but seriously stick with the desk lamp if you can't decide. My shrimp tank has a single 13W daylight spectrum CFL in a desk lamp for lighting and it's my happiest tank. The plants are growing like crazy, it's a jungle in there.

Also that fun dance your shrimp were doing? I call it the hormone hoedown! When a sexually mature female molts, she sends pheromones into the water letting the males know she's ready to get knocked up. Then she hides for some bizarre reason and they all go nuts looking for her.

A little late to the party here, but seriously stick with the desk lamp if you can't decide. My shrimp tank has a single 13W daylight spectrum CFL in a desk lamp for lighting and it's my happiest tank. The plants are growing like crazy, it's a jungle in there.

Also that fun dance your shrimp were doing? I call it the hormone hoedown! When a sexually mature female molts, she sends pheromones into the water letting the males know she's ready to get knocked up. Then she hides for some bizarre reason and they all go nuts looking for her.

Hey cappy!!! Although the desk lamp is more than capable. I'm a sucker for high tech. The 16" planted plus should be in today or tomorrow. I'm going to suspend it from the above shelf with steel cable, should look pretty cool me thinks..
I like that! It makes perfect sense.. funny thing, the amanos did it in my other tank, the female had a male.on her back and they molted together, the molts were still attached the same. Even though they can't breed in fw they still go all beserck??

Oooh, I bet that'll look awesome. It's funny, one of the cats destroyed the cheap LEDs I had on the shrimp tank and I was using the desk lamp as a temporary fix. Then my plants took off like crazy and I decided to just leave it that way.

My female amanos are always berried despite being in freshwater. I know babies won't happen, but it doesn't seem to deter them from mating all the same.

Oooh, I bet that'll look awesome. It's funny, one of the cats destroyed the cheap LEDs I had on the shrimp tank and I was using the desk lamp as a temporary fix. Then my plants took off like crazy and I decided to just leave it that way.

My female amanos are always berried despite being in freshwater. I know babies won't happen, but it doesn't seem to deter them from mating all the same.

Silly catten, luckily mine don't mess with tech.. I have a dual 13W cfl hood on my 10gal and it grows plants just fine, when the bulbs are vertical that work even better! Its nice to have the desk lamp as a backup for times like this! Current is sending me a new transformer for the strip but I don't think that's the issue, ultimately I think the wiring in the strip is shot. If/when they replace the strip ill move it to the 10 and have gone full led on all 4 tanks! 2 finnex and 2 sat tanks. Makes me feel all warm and tingly inside..
I'll post pics with the new light after a clean.. i added some anubias coffeefolia (sp) and the dhg is really taking off!! Bettas getting big too and starting to develop some nice reds.

I've got two 10g tanks with the same lighting setup and they both do really well. I had some issues with diatoms in both for a while but everything sorted itself out in time. And with amano shrimp. And otos.

What tail type is the betta? I'm assuming you bought it as a baby and don't know?

I've got two 10g tanks with the same lighting setup and they both do really well. I had some issues with diatoms in both for a while but everything sorted itself out in time. And with amano shrimp. And otos.

What tail type is the betta? I'm assuming you bought it as a baby and don't know?

Don't get me going on otos, my new fav. Fish! Talk about algae crushers!!
I'm not sure as to the specifics, all I know is rcguerra breeds these guys and he takes it very seriously. This pic could potentially be end result.. i can only hope!

Attachments

• 1409839419834.jpg
    1409839419834.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 83
Oh wow, it looks like a crossbreed between a crown tail and halfmoon. Beautiful fish! I'll post some pictures of my bettas when I do my big "Hi, I'm still alive" thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I guess we'll have to wait and see!! Yah.. let's see where you're at;)

Amanos will breed in freshwater very much so, but the babies/larvae won't survive long. Once hatched they will swim up towards the light. At this point if they havnt been eaten you need to transfer them to saltwater. I think this mimics their natural environment by travelling along a river until they enter the rivers mouth where salty sea water meets the fresh

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

By swim up to the top you mean get inhaled by the fish the second they are visible..

Ok, this turned out horribly, it's solid so it stays for now.. adjustments need to be constructed..

Attachments

• 1409878875818.jpg
    1409878875818.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 1409878890355.jpg
    1409878890355.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 1409878908359.jpg
    1409878908359.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 82
Back