Betta suppliers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBinimbul

Aquarium Advice Freak
Howdy, folks!

After the success I've had with my 20 gallon, I'm looking to add another tank to my house. This time, a 10g betta tank. I'm currently in the process of deciding where to purchase a betta from.

On the one hand, my chain LFS is cheap and convenient. On the other hand, they breed and sell bettas in terrible conditions. Not only do I not like the idea of funding that, the fish are less healthy and don't look half as good. But I also have that tug at the heartstrings of wanting to give one a better life.

I've also been looking online. If I go that route, I definitely don't want a wild-caught and want specifically US bred. But I'm not looking to pay more than 50 USD for a single fish.

I like pretty much all the types except crowns and combs. Plakat are also kind of low on my list, but some are quite beautiful. I don't have a strict gender preference, either. Just something that won't blend into my tank.

Does anyone have experience in this or recommendations?

I took a look on AquaBid and have used the service before for my endlers. But what puts me off is the lack of transparency regarding shipping. Most sellers aren't willing to say whether they use flat rate, overnight, etc. They don't mention shipping at all. I've had to ask numerous people individually and either get no answer or appalling prices (60 dollars to ship a betta two states away, seriously?).

I understand that shipping depends on distance and all, but it seems like a gamble on AquaBid.

I've actually been looking at them! Just wasn't sure if they have any sort of reputation here or not.

They do seem to be quite serious about what they're doing.

Back
Top Bottom