Betta Tank Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vic Vega

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I've been out of the game for a while but have decided to set up a new Betta tank. Here's what I'm planning-

* 22 gallon Mr. Aqua frameless aquarium (36x12x12)
* Will be heated and filtered
* Driftwood and a few low light plants with sand substrate
* Will either fishless cycle or get a good amount of filter media from a friends aquarium

My question is around the type of filtering for this tank. I've used a corner sponge filter for Betta tanks in the past, but they were not nearly as long (36") and I'm concerned it won't be efficient. I've also done small HOB filters (I think they were AquaClear) with media over the intake, but this seemed to have made too much of a current for the Betta.

Are there any new advances in technology or ideas that would be a good fit?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've used Azoo Palm filters (sold under various names) on 2.5 to 5.5g tanks, my last one used an Eheim Ecco canister in a 10g with custom lily pipes, I turned down the flow a bit. There can be some current as long as there is an area without flow. My canister directed flow along the front of the tank length and if he wanted quiet he'd retreat to the plants at the back. He surfed the flow for fun a lot.
704cb660510e6a07b7c4f860b4600d60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome info, thanks Coursair. I like the idea of directing the flow across the front, and I had never heard of lily pipes before but they look like an amazing solution to keep the aesthetic value of the frameless aquarium.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I kept bettas in a 10g last time around with a Aquaclear 20. Setting the flow to about half and putting it to one side still gave me plenty of filtration, and he had some places to rest. And, yeah, they do like to race against the flow sometimes. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom