Cory Cat and Betta compatibility?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldfish1212

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, so I've set up a 10 gallon aquarium that is reaching the homestretch on a fishless cycle and I'm debating what types of fish I plan to get. I know I want to get about 8 dwarf cory cats, either pygmaeus or habrosus, but I'm debating on what other tanks mates would be good. I'm considering getting a betta, but I'm finding conflicting information about keeping corys and bettas together. Some people say that it works fine and they have no problems and some sites say not to put them together? I would have live plants to make them feel safe and have places to hide and would make sure the corys were established in the tank before introducing the betta. My other plan is ember tetras instead of the betta, which aquadvisor says is ok, but i wanted to hear some other thoughts first.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have always had a betta with my cory cats, but my tanks are bigger so I don't know if that would make a difference

I've heard of story's were it works out fine and stories were the betta is aggressive to the Cory's

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's all about the risk I think having 8 Cory's would make the betta fish overcrowded and agressive

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I keep my betta with cory cats (along with rummynose tetras, black phantom tetras, and harlequin rasboras). My betta is relatively easy going and ignores the other fish, and the other fish ignore him. Cory cats mind their own business and are very peaceful. I'm almost certain you'll be fine- cory cats look nothing like bettas and they swim at different levels. Lots of plants are a good idea, as is making sure the cory cats are established. Like other said above, you may want to think about lowering the number of cory cats, but it might not be necessary. At the end of the day, it really depends on the betta. Good luck!

Make sure there is a spot like a cave that the Cory's can go, where they are away from the beta.

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Aquarium Advice app

Ok, I'll get a little cave sort of decoration. 6 corys is the minimum recommended, do you think that 6 vs 8 corys would make a difference to the betta? How can I tell how aggressive a betta is? Also I'm a little wary of getting one of the sickly looking bettas from petco, do you think they would get corys sick or be ok? If I were to get a betta should I just go on aquabid or something, since I'm already ordering the corys online, or is petco ok?

Ok, I'll get a little cave sort of decoration. 6 corys is the minimum recommended, do you think that 6 vs 8 corys would make a difference to the betta? How can I tell how aggressive a betta is? Also I'm a little wary of getting one of the sickly looking bettas from petco, do you think they would get corys sick or be ok? If I were to get a betta should I just go on aquabid or something, since I'm already ordering the corys online, or is petco ok?

I've had several bettas and I'll share my wisdom for you:

How to tell a healthy betta from a sick one: If you see a betta that has black vertical bars on the sides of their head then he/she is stressed and likely ill. Choose a betta that is alert (fins displayed if not fully flared) and interested in you when you come up to see him/her. Petco/Petsmart keep their bettas in hideously small cups so it is difficult to tell. Your best bet is to choose a fish that is active, alert and not moping at the bottom like it's given up on life. If the fish is actively trying to engage with humans and the other bettas nearby, safe to say him/her is happy and healthy! If you have a spare 1 or 2 gallon tank, put your new betta in there and watch him/her for signs of illness and medicate accordingly before introducing him to the corys.

Betta aggression: Bettas are highly intelligent and have very distinct personalities. Bettas that are very aggressive tend to react instantly to new things around their tank. To help I'll use two of my previous bettas as an example Surtur (aggressive) and Mathias (placid): If you were to walk up to Surtur's tank and look in he would charge you and flare. I'd puff out my cheeks to look like a flaring betta and we'd have flare fights! Not ideal for a community tank because his one gallon home was his and he had no intention of sharing! Mathias would swim up to say hello but he wouldn't flare just wiggle around and beg for food. He'd likely ignore any other fish that didn't look like a betta Another test: try to play follow the finger: Surtur would play along but he'd be very obviously trying to bite your finger despite the fact that the finger was outside his kingdom...silly Surtur! Mathias also liked this game, but he'd follow along for awhile and eventually try to lead the finger to the food canister for an extra pellet. Safe to say Mathias would be a great addition to a community tank.

The best way to find this out would be to have the betta in a separate tank and observe him/her and watch how they react to new things. This would also give your corys time to adjust to their new home before you add in a betta. I've seen plenty of bettas happily share a large tank with corys and be perfectly content. It's all a matter of personality. I hope this helps you. Feel free to message me if you want advice :) and good luck with your corys!

Ok, thanks SuomiBetta for the tips on choosing a healthy betta! If I don't have a spare one or two gallon tank, just the 10 gallon, I'm trying to think about how the best way to check a potential betta would react. Do you think it would work if I tried to get one of those breeding boxes with the mesh that you can hang in the tank as a way to separate the betta from the corys when I first introduce them? Would he perk up enough to show his aggression in that? If I were to get a 1 or two gallon, would it need to have a filter or anything, or since it's temporary could I just move some water and substrate from the 10 gallon into it while I check out the betta?

Ok, thanks SuomiBetta for the tips on choosing a healthy betta! If I don't have a spare one or two gallon tank, just the 10 gallon, I'm trying to think about how the best way to check a potential betta would react. Do you think it would work if I tried to get one of those breeding boxes with the mesh that you can hang in the tank as a way to separate the betta from the corys when I first introduce them? Would he perk up enough to show his aggression in that? If I were to get a 1 or two gallon, would it need to have a filter or anything, or since it's temporary could I just move some water and substrate from the 10 gallon into it while I check out the betta?

You're welcome! I advise against the mesh as bettas are prone to obesity and need exercise. And beware of jealousy- they can get jealous. Best to let them have their own space. Plus, he/she might wriggle out and cause havoc! My suggestion is to get a one/two gallon tank kit (yes, with a filter and heater! Bettas are tropical fish and they need heat! A thermometer and gravel (or some other substrate) is also handy as well) for the new betta and check him/her out. This way if the betta is suitable for community life you now have a hospital tank in case of infection. And if the betta isn't suitable to community life they have their own little space to live in (it's not ideal but with regular water changes bettas can be content in them and live for several years. You will have to be diligent in your tank maintenance since small tanks are prone to wild chemistry changes but luckily bettas are hardy and tough and can survive many swings.).

Hmm, ok thanks for the advice SuomiBetta. The more I learn about keeping bettas with other fish, the more I'm thinking I'm not really ready for a betta at this point in a community tank. I'm think the original plan of ember tetras will be a better option. I'd really rather not risk the aggression :( Oh well, maybe one day! For now I'll just have to admire other people's pretty bettas on AA! Thanks again!

Hmm, ok thanks for the advice SuomiBetta. The more I learn about keeping bettas with other fish, the more I'm thinking I'm not really ready for a betta at this point in a community tank. I'm think the original plan of ember tetras will be a better option. I'd really rather not risk the aggression :( Oh well, maybe one day! For now I'll just have to admire other people's pretty bettas on AA! Thanks again!

You're welcome! In the wild bettas are solitary with the exception of mating season where they leap into each other's little patch of rice paddy! Bettas in community tanks are a risk mostly because they're loners. But many can and happily adjust. They just need monitoring and a back up in case they decide they don't want to share. Though it seems as tank size gets bigger, the less of a problem it is. I haven't yet attempted a community plus a Betta but it can be done. Besides, you can always get a nice three to five gallon for a very spoiled betta ;) they do enjoy human company and are quite cute.

They are so cute! My family used to have two bettas when I was a kid and I loved watching them in their tanks. They'd follow my finger around on the glass :)

They are so cute! My family used to have two bettas when I was a kid and I loved watching them in their tanks. They'd follow my finger around on the glass :)

Oh yes. They're a hoot when they're hypnotized by bright lights it's hilarious. My last betta used to try and fight my kitty. And the fish won :ROFLMAO:

Blue cat I have my betta big red in a 2 gal bubble bowl on my kitchen counter and a few days ago I tried pitting a netrite snail in with him then went to the fish store to pick up a few things. He was still trying to bite the snail shell when I got back so the snail went into my tetra tank. He is a friendly guy with me but his home is his castle. We are in the process of setting up a 10 gal tank for just him and his marino moss balls and the rest of his plants. I am also setting up another 10 gal for some dwarf corys, 5 or 6, plus another couple of schools of different tetras. I have the embers in my first tank along with neons and glowlight tetras, 3 regulars and 4 albino ones.. I would recommend any of those with a school of the dwarf corys......Alison:fish2::):fish1:

That sounds great Aliray! People seem to think of small fish as easier and less fun pets than other bigger animals, but small fish actually require some dedication to keep and turn out to be very entertaining little creatures. I can't wait to get the tank all set up and my fish all settled in :)

That sounds great Aliray! People seem to think of small fish as easier and less fun pets than other bigger animals, but small fish actually require some dedication to keep and turn out to be very entertaining little creatures. I can't wait to get the tank all set up and my fish all settled in :)

Fish are a lot of work, but they're so entertaining. I could sit for hours getting to know each fish in a community tank! (also makes it devastating when they die. I was sobbing when my three platys and two Tequila Sunrise guppies died)

I am very fond of my little nano fish. Love all the activity in the tank. Really fun when you put in some thawed baby brine shrimp and the feeding frenzy begins. Even the two shrimp come out trying to get their fair share. Alison:)

Ha :) cannibal shrimp :(. I've seen a lot of people writing about giving brine shrimp or blood worms to their fish as treats, where do you get them?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom