cray is holding eggs, help..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakepen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Found my Cray fish finally and she is pregnant. Should I take her out indefinitely? When the eggs hatch will it be to much protein if my fish eat them all?

What kind of fish ? Little crays hide, it's instinctive with them, if there are hiding places. If not, provide some. Rock, caves, wood, plants, whatever. Full size cray or the mexican dwarf orange ones ?

Fish may indeed eat some, but probably not all of them. Unless you are really anxious to save every baby cray, you are likely ok leaving her in the tank. And fish are not likely to eat so many that it causes trouble. They have a lot of calcium in the shells, so the protein content is not as high as it would be if it ate a fish of similar weight.

The baby crays will eat each other and the mother will eat them too- if and when they feel like it. They are most in danger of being eaten after they molt, which they do a lot as they grow.

I would be more concerned about the crays eating each other, if there are a lot of hiding places the fish aren't as much a concern.

I have had baby CPO I started with about 25 and ended with one Victor. My friend has baby Cajun crays now, she had over 100 and now has about 25. Gobble gobble! :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom