cycling a new tank using filter media from old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bangkokbandit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I've just got a new tank.
I will start cycling it soon, id like to do it without using any fish.
I have done a bit of research and this is my plan, please tell me whats right or wrong.

1. fill tank with tap water
2. Add dechlorinator
3. Wait a day for temperature to stabilise
4. Put the foam from my old filter into the new tanks filter.
5. let the filter run

not sure from here. do i just leave it like that for a while, or do i need to add some ammonia for the bacteria to eat?

Any help would be great.

btw Tank is 100 gallon with built in corner filter

Last edited:
You can either add ammonia into it, but It has to be pure ammonia. Or you could add some cycle fish, then return them when your done

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the quick reply, would some fish pellets be ok instead of pure ammonia.
Also should i keep feeding the bacteria for a few weeks and then test the water and add some fish if everything is ok?

Thanks again :)

It's more complicated then that, you have to wait for your nitrite spikes and your nitrate spikes. And I would advise using just ammonia, as the pellets take a little time to produce the ammonia

It's coming from a 20 gallon goldfish tank that i've had for about a year

That pad will somewhat help, but just remember that there is 5x the amount of space for the bacteria to grow, so it can take up to maybe a half a year to cycle. It just depends on if you dose the ammonia right and such

Back
Top Bottom