Discus and Pistos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well a good betta setup can made in a 5 gallon, as for a clean up crew it's a myth. Totally unnecessary in freshwater provided appropriate water changes, not even necessary in sw. I understand your logic but the excess bioload will be more harmful than good in a discus setup.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know, I just think he looks awesome in the discus tank because of his colors. Oh, I didn't know that about a myth, would saying they help clean be more appropriate. And that's true.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As for the tank here's what I'm thinking, continue the water sprite to about half way to the filter than have some larger aponogeton plants such as crispus and lace and some larger hybrophilia to the filter. Than around the driftwood there will amazon swords, anubias, tiger lotus, dwarf indian red lily, and java ferns. Down the rock will be a mix of Christmas moss, willow moss, and flame moss (flame on top, christmas on the sides, and willow on the bottom) and beside the rock there will be smaller types of hygrophila and crypts, and than the rest will be star repens.

Attachments

• 1453002632117.jpg
    1453002632117.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 1453002650296.jpg
    1453002650296.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 1453002663975.jpg
    1453002663975.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 1453002687796.jpg
    1453002687796.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 72
I've figured out the discus dominance chain. First is the Pigeon Blood, second is the marlboro red who is a major bully, third is the blue diamond, and very last is the red snakeskin. I'm thinking about ordering a new marlboro red since mine is a little red demon to the other discus and is relentless he almost became the most dominant as well as he attacks the pigeon blood (twice his size) from time to time.

Attachments

• 1453173340092.jpg
    1453173340092.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 1453173476748.jpg
    1453173476748.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 1453173532822.jpg
    1453173532822.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 64
  • 1453173578647.jpg
    1453173578647.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 64
Each 55 has way too much going on, the 40 is pushing it, especially with the ropefish, each 10 gallon sounds well planned.

For the 6 gallon, I'm thinking of upping it to 16 gallons so I could have a school of either emerald rasboras or celestial danios and a bunch of shrimp.

Finn i understand where youre coming from. I feel bad about some of the words said to you. But quite frankly these dudes are here to share knowledge first and making friends just kinda happens along the way. Everyone learns somehow. I tend to learn the hard way unfortunately.

But just a heads up you remind me a lot of one my friends who mustve read the same stuff you have as he also put a 3 crayfish in his 220 gal community tank and those 3 crayfish somehow managed to kill EVERYTHING when he left for a week. Including his 10 discus. Maybe youll get lucky. Im sure you watch your tanks very close

Bottom line just store what everyone has said in the back of your head and keep an eye out for your fish. Dont take what everyone says too personally man we all care.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Do it! Emeralds are so pretty, but I can't keep them with CPD-too closely related. :(

Finn i understand where youre coming from. I feel bad about some of the words said to you. But quite frankly these dudes are here to share knowledge first and making friends just kinda happens along the way. Everyone learns somehow. I tend to learn the hard way unfortunately.

But just a heads up you remind me a lot of one my friends who mustve read the same stuff you have as he also put a 3 crayfish in his 220 gal community tank and those 3 crayfish somehow managed to kill EVERYTHING when he left for a week. Including his 10 discus. Maybe youll get lucky. Im sure you watch your tanks very close

Bottom line just store what everyone has said in the back of your head and keep an eye out for your fish. Dont take what everyone says too personally man we all care.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Yeah I know this is like a huge constantly amended, awesome fish book. And I learn the hard way as well, probably around 75% of the time before I joined the forum and now it's about 50%. And those are the larger more dangerous crayfish not the little Dwarf crayfish who only get about 1.25" and only go after dead or dying fish. I think my mind is about 90% fish stuff and the other 10% school and friend stuff.

Cpd get my vote, very cool little fish, should do great with the shrimp too, good choices.

My only problem is they are a little pricier but I'll be ordering them and several shrimp and plants from aquaticarts.com. all I have to do to get a free custom made tank is help my friends tank building business out, I've been instructed as interior design, so plants and fish and gravel, etc.

Do it! Emeralds are so pretty, but I can't keep them with CPD-too closely related. :(

I think I'll probably go with the celestial pearl danios, I love the coloration with plants in the background. I'll get emeralds for another tank though

Anyways back on track. For the discus tank, I plan on a school of 10 cardinal tetras but I may change it some other more peaceful, less active schooling fish (no gold barbs, way to active), opinions?

Have fallen behind on water changes the past few days due to a large art project and other school work. I did do a water change yesterday and the Nitrates today are at 10, I'm about to do another water change. My discus aren't super active lately so I'm watching them. It may be due to a drop in air pressure due to a large snowstorm (for North Carolina) hitting late tonight.

And please don't tell me that doesn't happen bc what I've observed it does. Whenever a large storm hits my fish are less active and aggressive and seem sluggish, all of them do this, even the most aggressive of my cichlids

That's fascinating. I wonder how that works or how they know? We just don't get weather like that here but I think it rings a bell from when I was over on the east coast.

That's fascinating. I wonder how that works or how they know? We just don't get weather like that here but I think it rings a bell from when I was over on the east coast.

It's because of the pressure drop, the fish sense it and prepare for a storm by becoming less active to store energy in case something happens to them or if they need a quick escape due to waves crashing or boulders and wood shifting.

That makes much more sense than my reason. I did a quick Google search a while back and that's what I came up with but this seems much more real and a much more scientific good answer

In my experience as an angler fish seem to become far more active as barometric pressure changes. Than again these fish i speak of are indigenous to the us which a discus is not. I feel like storms where they come from are worth hunkering down for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
In my experience as an angler fish seem to become gar more active as barometric pressure changes. Than again these are indigenous to the us which a discus is not. I feel like storms where they come from are worth hunkering down for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Read the link above and it will clear it up. And yeah I think rainforest storms would be pretty bad

Also I've started to try and keep my lights on for a max of 10 hours a day, it's a little harder bc I have to get used to turning em off as early

Back
Top Bottom