Exotic's new 10g high build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you went that route it could make stocking challenging.

I just realized I've been keeping fish longer than you've been alive :whistle:

Lol I consider myself an experienced hobbyist, but I am really a newbie, despite keeping fish avidly for a few years and having a fish tank in my house since 3 months after I was born. I just realised that I've been keeping fish longer than Caleb. :whistle:

BTW I "fed" the new tank, hoping that it will raise the ammonia a bit. Starting a calendar...

Lol I consider myself an experienced hobbyist, but I am really a newbie, despite keeping fish avidly for a few years and having a fish tank in my house since 3 months after I was born. I just realised that I've been keeping fish longer than Caleb. :whistle:

Caleb does a lot of reading :)

Caleb

No puffer, I get the idea :) Those rainbows sound nice, and I like the celestial pearl danio with a betta idea as well. A nice crowntail male? Are you going to do Co2 on this tank? DIY is a great and easy idea, works perfectly for me. A agree though, a nice big sword in the back or some kind of big stem plant would fill it in very nicely. Dwarf sag or jungle val. would look good too. Is that the final scape in the tank? Looks good but I would use either more rocks or concentrate them more towards the side to not make it look so scattered. I'm not much of a ardscape person myself, I just like planting things! can't wait to see fish in here!

P.S: My name is pronounced Neels Liker, lol when the teachers see "Nils Laicher" on the roll call they say it the funniest ways. But that's what you get for being German lol.

No puffer, I get the idea :) Those rainbows sound nice, and I like the celestial pearl danio with a betta idea as well. A nice crowntail male? Are you going to do Co2 on this tank? DIY is a great and easy idea, works perfectly for me. A agree though, a nice big sword in the back or some kind of big stem plant would fill it in very nicely. Dwarf sag or jungle val. would look good too. Is that the final scape in the tank? Looks good but I would use either more rocks or concentrate them more towards the side to not make it look so scattered. I'm not much of a ardscape person myself, I just like planting things! can't wait to see fish in here!

P.S: My name is pronounced Neels Liker, lol when the teachers see "Nils Laicher" on the roll call they say it the funniest ways. But that's what you get for being German lol.

Lol sorry Nils! There used to be a girl named La'Taya in my class and the teachers on the first day would pause for about 5 minutes when reading her name ?. If I'm taking the betta and CPDs/green neons route it might be a bit expensive. My LFS gets these AWESOME imported bettas from thailand, and houses them all in 5 gallon heavily planted tank. They are super expensive though, with the most expensive one I saw being a beautiful silk rosetail butterfly male with a shiny cyan body and fins with a white ring around the fins. I didn't even check the price on a rose gold dragon male they had! The cheapest I saw was a plain yet beautiful silk veiltail with a deep blue body who was $20. My tap water is also PERFECT for shrimp in the genus Neocaridina. I just put some watermelon rind in the tank and my plec is LOVING it. Def want some x-mas moss on the wood. I'll make a planting video just to share ideas about plants, yours included. I "fed" the new tank yesterday and there are discarded and dissolved flakes everywhere but ammonia is only 1 ppm. 'nuff rambling.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Lol sorry Nils! There used to be a girl named La'Taya in my class and the teachers on the first day would pause for about 5 minutes when reading her name ?. If I'm taking the betta and CPDs/green neons route it might be a bit expensive. My LFS gets these AWESOME imported bettas from thailand, and houses them all in 5 gallon heavily planted tank. They are super expensive though, with the most expensive one I saw being a beautiful silk rosetail butterfly male with a shiny cyan body and fins with a white ring around the fins. I didn't even check the price on a rose gold dragon male they had! The cheapest I saw was a plain yet beautiful silk veiltail with a deep blue body who was $20. My tap water is also PERFECT for shrimp in the genus Neocaridina. I just put some watermelon rind in the tank and my plec is LOVING it. Def want some x-mas moss on the wood. I'll make a planting video just to share ideas about plants, yours included. I "fed" the new tank yesterday and there are discarded and dissolved flakes everywhere but ammonia is only 1 ppm. 'nuff rambling.
Really like green neons, great color!

While excellent tap water is optional I've found that even Neos do better in a more established tank.

Yeah, I figured I'd put them in after a couple months when the moss is all grown up and there is plenty of biofilms and algae. I'll add some washed oak leaves about a week before I get them. Recording a planting video soon, should be uploaded in half an hour.

Update: ammonia went up to 2ppm and then went down to 1, and nitrate went up but has not gone down and no nitrate readings. Tank is also super cloudy. Guessing that a good colony of nitrosomonas is getting started but the nitrobacter needs to catch up. I'll add fish when 4ppm can get turned into nitrate in less than 12 hours. I've started a calendar with the different water quality readings for each day. I'll post the water quality readings for each day. I was busy today so wasnt able to upload plant video, and for a 13 year old I am not much of a gamer, but a MAJOR update for a game I play (Geometry Dash) came out so I spent hours in my iPad. I regret it now as I have a major headache and typing this is making my head set on fire (figuratively, thank goodness). One time a friend of my mom's who didn't know me (I was 12 at the time) thought: 12 yr. old boy? I'll get him a GameStop giftcard! He'll love it to buy something for his numerous video game systems. I don't have any video game consoles in my house, so I bought some MineCraft keychains and gave them to my friends. Can't wait to see the tank cycle! It's always a fun yet tedious process.

Update: ammonia went up to 2ppm and then went down to 1, and nitrate went up but has not gone down and no nitrate readings. Tank is also super cloudy. Guessing that a good colony of nitrosomonas is getting started but the nitrobacter needs to catch up. I'll add fish when 4ppm can get turned into nitrate in less than 12 hours. I've started a calendar with the different water quality readings for each day. I'll post the water quality readings for each day. I was busy today so wasnt able to upload plant video, and for a 13 year old I am not much of a gamer, but a MAJOR update for a game I play (Geometry Dash) came out so I spent hours in my iPad. I regret it now as I have a major headache and typing this is making my head set on fire (figuratively, thank goodness). One time a friend of my mom's who didn't know me (I was 12 at the time) thought: 12 yr. old boy? I'll get him a GameStop giftcard! He'll love it to buy something for his numerous video game systems. I don't have any video game consoles in my house, so I bought some MineCraft keychains and gave them to my friends. Can't wait to see the tank cycle! It's always a fun yet tedious process.

Well that's quite a story lol

But I feel you whenever a clash of clans update comes out I spend an hour checking it out.

Btw, 4ppm/12 hours is overkill imo. Do you plan to stock everything at once? Even then 4ppm/24 hours is what I've always heard

Well that's quite a story lol

But I feel you whenever a clash of clans update comes out I spend an hour checking it out.

Btw, 4ppm/12 hours is overkill imo. Do you plan to stock everything at once? Even then 4ppm/24 hours is what I've always heard

Just want to play it safe. Or I might add some bottled BB, thinking maybe ATM or SeaChem because pretty much everything from those brands is spot-on and works great.

Might even skip the cycle and just use the seeding filter media.

I was not busy all day but we had a power outage and I will be busy today and tommorow. So sorry!

It's doing good. Decided to skip the cycle and just use seeded filter media. Not many vids on YouTube because of back to school and stuff. I did get a computer from a relative and so it should make it much easier uploading and editing videos. Saving up for a fluorescent light and I am planning on using either a FloraSun of TropicSun light. I'm opening my windows every day so the crypt gets some light. Researching plants. Thinking maybe the tank will beefing tech. I'm not doing CO2 but I will be doing liquid frets and medium lighting. That's about it though.

Sounds good! What have you decided on for stock? Sorry if I missed it. Tank looks good, I like it.

Sounds good! What have you decided on for stock? Sorry if I missed it. Tank looks good, I like it.

Dunno, I'll let you guys decide. Not quite ready for stocking yet. Thinking that I am going to transfer either my Hyphessobrycon Sp. "HY511" or my sparkling gouramis from the 29 gallon and keep them there for looks and getting it established until I get enough money for fish and plants.

Back
Top Bottom