Failure :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm very curious what the 1 more thing would be BROOKSTER123? I too have much more to say but feel at this point I better keep my blunt, and honest thoughts and opinions to myself at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The obvious swim bladder issue and fin wear on the red one. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The obvious swim bladder issue and fin wear on the red one. .

I still question many things. Like where's a pic that shows all 3 in the same tank. Single shot

I still question many things. Like where's a pic that shows all 3 in the same tank. Single shot

Wasn't that the first picture of the three the OP just posted recently? Looked like all three were in there, but the red betta does seem to be listing a bit. Hard to say from a still picture though, and a video of how the bettas interact with each other would be much more obvious and clear up any doubts. I'm still holding my breath waiting for the eventual catastrophic breakdown, but it's impressive that all three bettas are still alive after being in such close quarters with each other for this long.

Wasn't that the first picture of the three the OP just posted recently? Looked like all three were in there, but the red betta does seem to be listing a bit. Hard to say from a still picture though, and a video of how the bettas interact with each other would be much more obvious and clear up any doubts. I'm still holding my breath waiting for the eventual catastrophic breakdown, but it's impressive that all three bettas are still alive after being in such close quarters with each other for this long.

I looked at all the pictures and the 2 fish on the right did not appear to be the same fish as in the following pictures. I maybe wrong, it happens a lot. I tried to enlarge to see better and 1 looked like it was light and somewhat spotted and from what I know of betta ( not much at all), I thought males had long, beautiful, fanned fins. The one looked like the tail fin of my platy. The other one was similar in size still much smaller fins. I don't claim to know much about these fish. I do know they are fighting fish, males don't belong together, females fins are smaller, IMO the males are better looking, the males seem to have beautiful, unique and vibrant coloring as well their fins when fully fanned are large and amazingly stunning. I didn't notice any of that with the fish on the right. The red one looked awaful, and one with a horribly shredded tail. :(
I am only expressing how I personally feel. Weather right or wrong I'm clueless, but feel the OP was not truly ready for such a whatever you want to call it.

I looked at all the pictures and the 2 fish on the right did not appear to be the same fish as in the following pictures. I maybe wrong, it happens a lot. I tried to enlarge to see better and 1 looked like it was light and somewhat spotted and from what I know of betta ( not much at all), I thought males had long, beautiful, fanned fins.

The second fish on the right is not a betta, looks to be an apisto or some other cichlid type. There are more fish in the tank than just the three bettas. The third betta is the green streak near the powerhead, I believe.

The second fish on the right is not a betta, looks to be an apisto or some other cichlid type. There are more fish in the tank than just the three bettas. The third betta is the green streak near the powerhead, I believe.

The green and red betta I saw. I didn't see a 3rd, I have had doubts about this from shortly after the thread started. I think I will do as Brooksker, and a few others and show myself out the door. This thread is not me and it's bringing out a part if me I prefer not to. So to the OP good luck, to the others remember this is the internet it's not all factual. Also to those who are dreaming of making next to near miracles happen- good luck.

To crudely quote a friend of mine, " Opinions are like rear ends.....everybody has one!" Why do I bring this up? While I am not in favor of people doing this "willy nilly" the OP has taken some steps, in depth, to try to make this experiment work. When called to provide proof, proof came in the form of pics. Whether you think it's right or wrong is really not your business to post. (IMO) I believe I read that the OP has been keeping fish over 25 years. How does that not qualify him to try this? Anyone who has not kept fish for at least this long really shouldn't be advising for or against this ( again, IMO) Some saw ratty fins. Every time I see a crowntail Betta I see ratty fins. How do you know that's not what you are looking at? The point is you asked for proof, you got it. Let it go. I see nothing on those fish that would say they are in danger of dying or that they are being beaten to death by the other fish in the tank. I applaude the OP's success, so far, with the * "that this is not a typical result and duplicating this experiment will more than likely lead to more failures than successes." And leave it at that. (y)

To crudely quote a friend of mine, " Opinions are like rear ends.....everybody has one!" Why do I bring this up? While I am not in favor of people doing this "willy nilly" the OP has taken some steps, in depth, to try to make this experiment work. When called to provide proof, proof came in the form of pics. Whether you think it's right or wrong is really not your business to post. (IMO) I believe I read that the OP has been keeping fish over 25 years. How does that not qualify him to try this? Anyone who has not kept fish for at least this long really shouldn't be advising for or against this ( again, IMO) Some saw ratty fins. Every time I see a crowntail Betta I see ratty fins. How do you know that's not what you are looking at? The point is you asked for proof, you got it. Let it go. I see nothing on those fish that would say they are in danger of dying or that they are being beaten to death by the other fish in the tank. I applaude the OP's success, so far, with the * "that this is not a typical result and duplicating this experiment will more than likely lead to more failures than successes." And leave it at that. (y)

Good post.. I've been keeping fish 1/25th of that time.. i call this a Frankenstein scenario at best.. maybe they're not all dead?? While we're on the subject of show tanks? I wouldn't show that tank to anyone. . What's the point? ? It looks like a storm drain and the fish look near death.. what's the point? Furthermore.. why post it?? If you or mebbid pulled it off I'd stand and applaud because it would be class whether I like it or not. This tank reminds me of a flickering "GE bulb" and I'll get on my soapbox and say... i don't like it.. hashtag..# whack .

I agree. I personally don't think this will work long term. But hey, if it does, it does. I see a lot of people that have kept fish that shouldn't be kept together. And it never seems to work out long term.

Its his tank. Let him experiment how he wants. If it doesn't work out, as I said at the beginning of this thread (I think??), OP, have a back up plan.

Let me get this straight. You think only those who exceed the experience of the OP are qualified to weigh in? Disagree. This is a fish forum. Opinions are what this IS. Ridiculous to think, "I'm gonna start a thread, but those punks better not have an opinion about anything!" Pu-leeez.

Other than that I agree.

Good post.. I've been keeping fish 1/25th of that time.. i call this a Frankenstein scenario at best.. maybe they're not all dead?? While we're on the subject of show tanks? I wouldn't show that tank to anyone. . What's the point? ? It looks like a storm drain and the fish look near death.. what's the point? Furthermore.. why post it?? If you or mebbid pulled it off I'd stand and applaud because it would be class whether I like it or not. This tank reminds me of a flickering "GE bulb" and I'll get on my soapbox and say... i don't like it.. hashtag..# whack .

Right????

I'm done here. Never coming back again. Flickering GE bulb? How about Finnex Ray 2? I enjoy my tanks. That's the only satisfaction I need.

Moderators, close this thread. I'm done.

Let me get this straight. You think only those who exceed the experience of the OP are qualified to weigh in? Disagree. This is a fish forum. Opinions are what this IS. Ridiculous to think, "I'm gonna start a thread, but those punks better not have an opinion about anything!" Pu-leeez.

Other than that I agree.

Actually, what I meant ( and hopefully conveyed) was that people with less experience than the person in question should not try to be the "voice of reason" when there is a lot more experience backing, in this case, this experiment.

What I have learned in my now, 50 years of keeping and breeding tropical fish, is that many things go on in an aquarium that either defy common sense or don't follow "the rules." And more people today don;t know "the rules" than do I'm afraid. For example, Personally, I had a breeding pair of Oscars treat a small school of feeder goldfish as their fry instead of their food. I can only attribute this to the fact that I had recently taken a spawn away from them to artificially hatch them out. How many people can say this happened to them? It's not in any book I have read regarding fish keeping. So does that mean everyone should expect that result? Does that mean that smaller fish can be safely kept with Oscars? NO it doesn't. But it's now posted on this forum so why not? Because this was a one time thing under very specific circumstances. The fish ate the next batch of feeders I put in there BTW. Next, I'll bet many try to comment that I shouldn't have been feeding the fish feeder goldfish. Here's the thing with that, I was also breeding the goldfish to feed to my 13 breeding pairs of Oscars. So is it wrong to feed feeder goldfish? Not in this scenario. But then again, I go into my local Petsmart and see tanks of dying feeders so NO, I wouldn't be feeding them those fish. It's situational. And when those without all those years of experience haven't had the "oddball" or "unusual" happen to them, they are no longer , in my opinion, qualified to be that voice of dissention or reason.
Here's another point, many of today's fish are tank bred specimens that are far removed from their wild ancestors yet people try to keep them as if they were once wild. The problem with that is that as a farmed fish, they expect to be fed on a regular basis and are used to being in a tank opposed to free in the wild. Many of the varieties in today's shops, now with so many adaptations, wouldn;t last a minute in a wild river or pond with native natural fish. But without experience, how would you know what is and isn;t wild or farmed? Don't take that personally please.

Everybody is allowed an opinion. I'm not trying to squash your opinions. But my suggestion would be NOT to say " You can't" but instead say "I wouldn't, and here's why". If you can give the facts behind your opinion, it holds more weight. ;)

Lastly, the name of this site is " Aquarium Advice" not "Aquarium Opinion." It should be, based on the name, a site about offering advice based on facts not opinions based on feelings. That's why there is some tension I believe. There's a lot of opinions out there based on wrong information. We ( us old folks ;) ) know the wrong information because we were there when the right info was written. My knowledge came way before the internet ever existed. Add to that my 40 years in the tropical fish business, dealing with fish from all around the world, and I have a little more experience on the goings on with the trade than most. Does that make me qualified to comment? I think it does. Would I take the opinion of someone new to the hobby or just had 1 type of fish for a few years? Probably not. Why? Because their experience is too limited compared to mine. That doesn't make me better or them worse. Just more experienced vs less experienced. Can what they say influence others less knowledgeable? Yes it can and that's where the danger comes in. That's my point. (y)

I take this very personal as it seems directed toward me for having an opinion. You also had a few opinions on mine. It's ok to agree to disagree. I have and will continue to admit if I am not sure and don't have the knowledge of something. Some of you may believe these photos, I don't and where I'm from it's okay to say such. I feel most like a fool for speaking so highly of you in pm with someone. I was impressed because you did not judge or down people for having their own opinion on something. So I was leaving this thread but think I may leave AA altogether.

I take this very personal as it seems directed toward me for having an opinion. You also had a few opinions on mine. It's ok to agree to disagree. I have and will continue to admit if I am not sure and don't have the knowledge of something. Some of you may believe these photos, I don't and where I'm from it's okay to say such. I feel most like a fool for speaking so highly of you in pm with someone. I was impressed because you did not judge or down people for having their own opinion on something. So I was leaving this thread but think I may leave AA altogether.

Please see my previous comment.
I addressed your opinion because I think it comes from a lack of knowledge or experience with this particular fish. Having had thousands of them over the years, I can see this as a possibility which makes these photos good enough proof. So why don;t you believe them? :confused:

Please see my previous comment.

I addressed your opinion because I think it comes from a lack of knowledge or experience with this particular fish. Having had thousands of them over the years, I can see this as a possibility which makes these photos good enough proof. So why don;t you believe them? :confused:

My last 2 comments say I don't know much about these fish. I stated the simple things I do know. I have worked with many kinds of people, from rich to homeless, to building brand new homes and heading to prison. So I have heard many stories, some true some not, one thing I've learned is when and the signs to question if someone is being honest and sincere in what they are saying. There are things that don't seem to go with other parts of what is being said.
I for 1 don't believe a picture on the internet w/o feeling a mutual trust with the person. The internet allows us to do many things. Even create or modify pictures. I'm not saying the OP did. All I've said is I question their integrity.
Your right though I have no room zilch to give my opinion because I lack experience in fish keeping.
I did think the site was for all, I even started a thread a while back asking if people like myself, lack of experience or only having kept a couple different fish opposed to hundreds. The end result was yes share your experience, just simply state, in my situation ...... Or IMO ..... Etc

One thing I was wondering is if particular bettas would get on better? I can't imagine how as I assume all from the same starting stock but is the environment or the fish the main factor?

I've had two male platys chase each other over a 4ft tank. Just could not get along. I don't know if relevant but they were from the same batch and were the same colour. Minimal plants although there are some rocks, driftwood and whatnot.

I guess what I'm asking here is how important is it to break up lines of sight? How far can fish see for that matter. For something like this is it a matter of dense planting or are the fish going to find each other anyway?

Everyone is so sensitive, it's ok people.. just a fish tank.. no need to get all worked up with eachother. I've got a big stinky opinion and that's fine, ignore or embrace.. makes no difference to me. If op had been asking for help or advice I would have never posted this thread, i know very little about bettas, heck killed the only one I've b lever had.. but no, bragging begets bs and opinions.. here I am.. lcie. Stick around, i apologize for the rudeness, i get a little carried away sometimes, finnex ray 2 is a very nice light and I shouldn't have insulted it. I'm sorry man.

Back
Top Bottom