First Tank :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DazF

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I have recently set up my first ever aquarium and I am already in love :) after always being an admirer of fish I cannot wait to get fully up and running!

Currently I only have a 28l tank setup for tropical fish with a filter and the heater set to 25 degrees.

At the minute I have just one platy who has been in for just under a week. I am looking to purchase some more fish this week but am unsure how many i should add at one time as it is a small tank and I wouldn't want to make any drastic changes...

I was thinking about adding a couple of zebra danios... Would this be ok?

Welcome to AA Daz.
Lots of good people and helpful information in this forum. Read & research. As a new aquarist, read up on cycling your new tank and the nitrogen cycle. Now it won't be long and you'll want more tanks. LOL. We call it MTS(multiple tanks syndrome). Good luck, OS.

Thanks Old Scales! :)

Yeah I have read up as much as i can fit in my brain at one time!

I started my tank a few weeks ago, let it filter for 3 days before adding a molly fish. Unfortunately the little guy died after 2 days :( I took a water sample to my local aquatic centre and they tested the water and said it was fine (no sure why he didnt make it..) so they advised me to try again with a platy as it was more suited to the size of my tank...

The platy has been in for 6 days now and seems to be fine (although he doesnt seem to eat very much) he isnt very active either but i have put this down to the fact he is on his own...

In the long term i would like 3 platys, 2 danios and a betta fish. Would love more but am very limited to what i can get due to the size of my tank

Any tips for which order and when I should add them? Maybe the 2nd platy 1st so that the first one has some company?

Hey batgirl,

I had read that but the guy in the shop said they should be fine? What would you recommend instead?

Thanks guys appreciate the help :)

Your best friend for monitoring safe water conditions for your fish is an API Master Test Kit. I saw them for $19.99 on Amazon this morning. Test strips are just not accurate enough. Also, take what the guys at the fish shops with a grain of salt. Most will tell you anything to sell you stuff or don't know what they are talking about. OS.

Would panda corys be ok do you think?
I was also interested in gobys
Don't want to get something that would not get on with my betta when i get it...

My nan is a big fish keeper and has a pond with about 30 koi! So she lent me her testing kit which i think is quite good.

I think panda corys would be fine but I think all gobys get to big. I would be more worried about the platys not getting along with the betta.

Really? I was advised that platys are ok as they are quite small and peaceful.. That throws a spanner in the works!

It depends on the betta he might think of them as a threat because of there bright colors or he might be just fine with them

Maybe then I should add the betta first while I just have the 1 platy and see how they get on? Then if its ok add another platy and the corys?

Maybe then I should add the betta first while I just have the 1 platy and see how they get on? Then if its ok add another platy and the corys?

I highly advise you be careful and keep a close eye on your fish if you do mix a beta with the platy. I have 7 platys that are all in a 30 gallon tank. 3 of those 7 platys use to be in a 20 gal long with my male beta and they tore his tail fin up. He's now alone and going through treatment for his tail I was lucky enough to catch them before their tears turned into fin rot. Platys also get kind of big 2-3 inches.
Platys are super awesome to watch If you have more than 1 they swim all over the tank. If you don't want babies I suggest you make sure you get all females! They literally breed like rabbits
If you do get a beta and they don't mix well just make sure to have a home handy for the beta

Hi jujubee, thanks for the heads up.

Really not sure what to do now was really looking forward to getting a betta but maybe thats a bad choice...

As said previously some guys at shops aren't worth listening too, sadly they just want to sell you there wares. As the shop what their returns policy is, if they recommend the betta and it doesn't work take it straight back.

Maybe I will do that then... Might have to buy a small tank just incase! Will let you know how i get on thanks again everyone for now I will leave you with a pic of bubbles the platy :)

(Its difficult to get one when he's always hiding!) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389645942.441658.jpg

Good luck! And don't be discouraged just because it doesn't work for one doesn't mean it can't work for another, I hope you are able to keep a beta with you platy :)

I think panda corys would be fine but I think all gobys get to big. I would be more worried about the platys not getting along with the betta.

I have some red spot gobies and they are only 2" they do not grow very big

From what i've read bumble bee gobys are quite small too? Might have to invest in a bigger tank... (Just dont wanna upset my fiance as she bought the tank for xmas!)
Will let you know what i decide at the store later :)

From what i've read bumble bee gobys are quite small too? Might have to invest in a bigger tank... (Just dont wanna upset my fiance as she bought the tank for xmas!)
Will let you know what i decide at the store later :)

Yes those gobies are small but from what I seen at my fish store they are not very hardy. Seems like there was always a death in the tank

Back
Top Bottom