Hopeful Zero Cycle Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That sounds so cool! I wish I had the money to order fish and inverts online. I'd say that's a decent price, especially since you don't usually see any of those sold in pet stores.

Hey thanks for reading!

Well, I've come to have little faith in my LFS + places like ebay/aquabid, so it leaves me with the good people here, who are a network throughout this country!

I guess I'd rather do it right, than do it wrong. Even if it is a little more expensive to do it right.

I did it wrong enough, and I feel bad :p.

The nano build is just so fun though :D. As soon as I have shrimp + more plants, I'll be making a 'Leftover nano' tank. Maybe even sell them lol!

I personally would avoid CPOs in smaller tanks. They will hunt RCS and small sleeping fish. Mine were fine with Neon sized fish but a club member of mine has RCS with missing legs from aggressive CPO.

Others say Shrimp are too fast for Crays, but I did NOT want to count on that.

Wow. Well then I'll avoid. She has such a great deal on micro crabs anyways, it wouldn't be a good happiness trade off to switch to CPOs

Coursair, what do you think about the stock list?

Also, would it be intelligent to cut down a little on costs by only getting 8 or so RCS, because I'm sure they will breed..

I'm not so sure about the adult sized RCS, it would be better if they were juvies as they don't get stressed out too much in a new tank. But everything else looks good!:)

Also, would it be intelligent to cut down a little on costs by only getting 8 or so RCS, because I'm sure they will breed..

Well technically you could get by with half that and still have exponential growth. But, as with anything, the more the merrier, there is still a chance for things to happen, maybe some won't breed, maybe some will die randomly, so it's best to just start with a good bit and go from there. If you have plans to resell or trade for store credits then you'll never be overrun.

I'm kinda in the train of thought where you should get the most bang for your shipping buck, since it costs the same amount to ship 5 shrimp as it does to ship 25.

Hm Austin, good point but I'm not sure if she will sell me juvies. It's worth asking though!

Jeta, good point. I'll get 10 and hopefully populate my tank up. I'll cull my stock into a 1 gal tank, and I'll sell them/give them to my lfs.

How many breeding cycles should I wait before introducing new DNA?

I use to breed snakes and honestly you never know how many generations the dealer has used the same stock, so in my noobish opinion (and I really don't know outside of snakes) I would introduce new stock ASAP. Get a few from people you trust and know aren't inbred hillbilly shrimpies!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Well I have no friends who do anything with fish near me.

My lfs sells ghost shrimp at like 1.50 a pop, I can't imagine cherries, not to mention their grade.

I'll take a chance on a generation, or just ask Rachel how many generations theyve gone.

I wouldn't worry about it. Shrimp can go several generations before having issues, and even when they do, the biggest concern is low birth counts and higher cull rates due to coloration loss.

It's something you can deal with when you have an issue with it, unless you just want to do it for kicks.

Hmm after mine get going we'll have to swap a few to keep our lines going! I have a lfs here that sells them for 1.50 each and they seem to have some decent colors.

Well I want to have a strong line I might be able to sell in the future :)

I will probably swap/buy with members like you and Sake! Thanks for the offer.

I had a Moss ball float today lol. That's about all I have to update for today.

I had a Moss ball float today lol. That's about all I have to update for today.

Isn't that the coolest thing when that Happens? I can't recall the exact process that causes this, but in Japan during competitions they manipulate the water parameters of tanks to cause it. Mine are like paper weights.:(

Hey I just got a fish for my low maintenance tank! I am going to post a new thread about my setup because I got some questions ok?

@GodFan, sure! You could always post questions here if you need, too.

And yeah. I was cleaning them and helping shape them, when I put them back down in different spots so they give my java carpet different sun exposure, the one floated up. It soon floated back down tho :( oh well lol!

Ha, I love those marimo balls. I have one in my ten gallon tank but I've never seen it float before... it's been sitting differently but I never got to see it happen unfortunately.

It catches so much stuff!

I can't wait 'til I have shrimp to clean it up.

I'm on Easter break, so my tank is still in my Dorm room. I left a light on in the room and positioned the tank so it got some natural light from the outside.

:\ I hope everything is OK.

When I first put my marimo ball in, my shrimp were ALL over it. It's their favorite thing, lol.

There's no fish in there, right? Everything should be fine.

Nope, just some snails. I'm more worried about the mosses. Oh well.

I've got a package coming from jetajockey with a ton of plants.

I'm going to hack off the two fake plants on my ceramic log, tie/glue on some column plants, float salinia, plant some clover, rearrange my carpet, plant some column plants then promptly order critters.
the only thing I might want after that is some Brazilian pennywort from maxwellag and I'm done with plants. :D yay.

I may dose ferts once a week to help my plants grow.

Have you ever considered stocking scuds? If you do fish is out of the question. But they will help create some biodiversity. And they will also help with tank maintenance as they are detrivores and will consume mulm. I recently introduced them to my project. And there is a very noticable difference as They help process the waste from snails and other decaying matter wiithin the tank.

Back
Top Bottom