Hospital tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw at Walmart you can get a 10 gallon tank for 12.95. I thought I'd use that as a hospital tank in case needed. I am assuming I would have to buy a power filter and would I need anything else?

One of the best options is to purchase a secondary HOB filter and run it on your main tank. That way it becomes fully seeded and if you need to set up a QT or hospital tank, you can pull the empty QT out of the closet, fill it with water from your DT, throw the secondary filter on it, and have an emergency tank set up in about 10 minutes.

What's the DT?

Oh, so when we purchase new fish we don't have to QT them in that tank? Is the QT tank only used when fish get sick? I thought you put new fish in the QT tank for a few weeks to see if they get sick before putting them in the main tank?

What's the DT?

Oh, so when we purchase new fish we don't have to QT them in that tank? Is the QT tank only used when fish get sick? I thought you put new fish in the QT tank for a few weeks to see if they get sick before putting them in the main tank?

DT is display tank, as in your main aquarium.

There's different theories as far as stocking your tank for the first time. You can QT them while continuing to feed your DT ammo for a couple weeks to keep your bio-filter strong before adding them, or some people basically view their main tank as a quarantine if there are not already existing fish in there. To be honest, I think most people add their first batch of fish right into the main tank and have a QT on standby just in case. I added my first group of fish directly in, but for all new additions they get QT'd so they don't potentially infect my main tank and the healthy fish in it if the new purchases are sick.

Last edited:
I wish I had the patience to do that, eco. I can't wait...ever. I need the instant gratification. I like to buy my fish from places that already quarantine their fish before they sell to me.

I wish I had the patience to do that, eco. I can't wait...ever. I need the instant gratification. I like to buy my fish from places that already quarantine their fish before they sell to me.

Lol, I'm the same way :). I buy pretty much all my fish from Severum Mama, and her fish go directly into the DT after a quick drip acclimation...water and all. If I have to buy from a chain or LFS...they get a 2-3 week vacation in their own private little tank before they meet the rest of the group.

Where is this mama? Does she have a web site?

JimmyA said:
Where is this mama? Does she have a web site?

She's a member and moderator on this site. She does have a website, I think it's forsytheaquatics.com, but she also has an updated stock list in the classifieds section of the site. You can also send her or her husband HN1 (also a member) a PM regarding what they have available.

Back
Top Bottom