Hybrids/Crossbreeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. i looked at pictures of pearlscale goldies. I think I might have nightmares. Sorry, but IMO, I don't see how that fish can have a good quality of life. The sites I saw said it was prone to swim bladder issues and bloat.

I have a pearlscale platinum angel, it has reflective scales.

DSC_0357 by jetajockey, on Flickr
THose are beautiful! OK, I get it. The pearlscale is a naturally occuring mutation where the the top of the scale is thicker. The pearlscale goldy is a man-made variety that incorporates that natural mutation as well as other mutations to an extreme degree to create a.... umm... new goldfish concoction. IMO.

I cant stand all the stupid looking goldies! It is mean IMO! The extemely fat ones or the ones with bags on their eyes! Its awful!

The extreme bloated look on that image search is what did it for me, they look like they have dropsy or something.
I agree. The website I was reading (which sold them) said the goal was to have them as spherical as possible. There is also a variety with a single or double bubble hood.

They have to be the ugliest fish I've ever seen. that can't be healthy for fish to be that deformed. It resembles the elephant man.
We should do one of the surveys on, how many people would buy something like that and how many wouldn't touch it.

I feel like they made that pearlscale goldfish with the intentions of pissing me off, or to try and hurt my feelings. I used to hate the blood parrots more then any other fish in the world.

Now I have a new thing to add to my most hated things in the world...

1. Tolls (bridge or tunnel).
2. EDITED
3. The new york jets.
4. These worthless pearlscale goldfish.
5. Blood parrots (oh yeah.. There still there.)

Last edited by a moderator:
back when fish first started developing differences and turning into different species, they hybridized to get the characteristics before sticking to their own species.
but the horrific thing is how man has tried to control evoltution by hybridising, in the instance of blood parrots, where now health problems are very bad and mortality is higher than nature would have granted.

Aski247 said:
I feel like they made that pearlscale goldfish with the intentions of pissing me off, or to try and hurt my feelings. I used to hate the blood parrots more then any other fish in the world.

Now I have a new thing to add to my most hated things in the world...

1. Tolls (bridge or tunnel).
2. Edited
3. The new york jets.
4. These worthless pearlscale goldfish.
5. Blood parrots (oh yeah.. There still there.)

HATE is such a powerful word! How can you hate fish??? What did they do to you?? Dislike might be a better choice of a word! It's not the blood parrots or pearl scale goldfishs' fault that they were hybridized!!! It's our fault, were the ones that made them what they are! And I know its a matter of opinion but I have BPs and I happen to like them, and have had no problems with them whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tigroscr said:
HATE is such a powerful word! How can you hate fish??? What did they do to you?? Dislike might be a better choice of a word! It's not the blood parrots or pearl scale goldfishs' fault that they were hybridized!!! It's our fault, were the ones that made them what they are! And I know its a matter of opinion but I have BPs and I happen to like them, and have had no problems with them whatsoever.

I'm sorry I understand you have a bp and love them. But I truly do hate them. Every time I see one I wanna grab it out the tank and chuck it at the person who owns them. I'm sorry there is just something about them that really really tweaks a nerve and I can't explain it, besides the fact I'm "a hybrid hater".

umm harsh much i want to hug all them not throw them :p
i wanted (and am saving up for) a big parrot and managuense tank. the parrots cos i feel sorry for them and want to show them a happy life, the managuense because darn gorgeous they are.

what other big fish hybrids are out there?

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
umm harsh much i want to hug all them not throw them :p
i wanted (and am saving up for) a big parrot and managuense tank. the parrots cos i feel sorry for them and want to show them a happy life, the managuense because darn gorgeous they are.

what other big fish hybrids are out there?

My thoughts entirely, HARSH!! This person seems very angry!! Wants to take it out on poor fish!! :-( I'm like you I think you should show all your fish a happy life!! I've had my BP about 5 years now and I got him before I really knew he was a hybrid!! Just because I found out later he was a hybrid doesn't mean I'm going to give up on him and totally disown him or throw him out of the tank, I would not throw any fish!! How cruel! live and let live!!

back when fish first started developing differences and turning into different species, they hybridized to get the characteristics before sticking to their own species.
but the horrific thing is how man has tried to control evoltution by hybridising, in the instance of blood parrots, where now health problems are very bad and mortality is higher than nature would have granted.

This isn't how it works. Yes, fish can and do hybridize in the wild, but this is not the mechanism for new species' development.

Mutations occur naturally within populations. Some are harmful, and those individuals that express that trait will die. Some are beneficial, and those individuals that express that trait are more successful than others, and in turn, reproduce and pass on the desirable trait. Over a great period of time, the successful mutation is passed on and on.

New species can develop when populations are isolated from one another. Environment selects what traits are successful and what traits aren't. When these populations are isolated from one another for a long enough period of time, they become distinct species.

This isn't how it works. Yes, fish can and do hybridize in the wild, but this is not the mechanism for new species' development.

Mutations occur naturally within populations. Some are harmful, and those individuals that express that trait will die. Some are beneficial, and those individuals that express that trait are more successful than others, and in turn, reproduce and pass on the desirable trait. Over a great period of time, the successful mutation is passed on and on.

New species can develop when populations are isolated from one another. Environment selects what traits are successful and what traits aren't. When these populations are isolated from one another for a long enough period of time, they become distinct species.
I agree. Well worded. Furthermore, its not really hybridization if there are so few fishish creatures to even be considered different species. Evolution and adaption is driven by mutations within a species much more heavily than by hybridization.

Back
Top Bottom