I had to euthanize my 1st fish today, and I feel awful.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Matrix is good media, I have 2 aquaclears a 110 and a 70, the baskets never raise on mine I clean them alternating every 2-3 weeks to a month, there are many good media brands out there but you don't want to just change media I would just add it to the existing you have in the canister if you decide to get matrix don't take the old out you will crash your cycle.

To clarify, I am running the Matrix since the switch to the canister. I took the cycled bio rings from the HOB and put them in the canister, added some larger rings that came with the unit, added some BIO balls I bought, mixed in some Matrix, rubbed and squeezed the residue from the HOB sponge onto the canister’s sponge, added new floss and put the carbon that came with it into a mesh bag and added that (but that has since been removed).
I think I bought too much Matrix as I got half a container left, and you don’t really replace it.
The lifting on the basket on the HOB was a concern for me. It stopped locking into place long term. It was annoying and I wanted some filtration that took less babysitting for me, and I wanted to be in a position to go away for a week without any worry. That and the rattling of the lid after time drove us bananas. We are in a smaller condo so we were looking for something as a quiet as possible as well. On a positive note, the HOB did its job and did cycle with the help of 2 dwarf gouramis faithfully.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom