Ironworker's 1'st 28 nano HQI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For your temp problem you could use one of those maxi12's as a return. My tank ran at 80 with a desktop fan and the front lid and back lid opened. I got a maxi and switched them. It stays at 77 all day. Sometimes 75, depending on the ambient temp. Still have the lids and fan the same, when it was all closed up it reached 83 often. Higher temps promote nuisance algae growth. It makes your fish less active as well.

For your temp problem you could use one of those maxi12's as a return. My tank ran at 80 with a desktop fan and the front lid and back lid opened. I got a maxi and switched them. It stays at 77 all day. Sometimes 75, depending on the ambient temp. Still have the lids and fan the same, when it was all closed up it reached 83 often. Higher temps promote nuisance algae growth. It makes your fish less active as well.
i dont get what you mean by take one of the maxi's and make it a return cause they are both returns ??? but i hope they run cooler than the stock ones and with that new fan i will be around 79 cause im at 80.6 right now with the ghetto camping fan on all day and last night it went down to 78.3 i think ...

By return I mean replace the factory pump with a maxijet but I see you bought it used so it may already be one. It's one of the easier ways to cool down a nano. Those all should cool it down. The main thing is stability. If it sits at 82 all the time that's not bad as long as it doesn't jump up or down a couple degrees or "swing". Different fish have different healthy temps. The catalina gobie needs like 70 degree water. The warmer the water the shorter its lifespan. Clownfish are versatile. Any temp within reason 78-82 should be good. Coral is the same but more on the stable part. Between my tank and a couple friends I've noticed better growth under cooler temps. IMO though

By return I mean replace the factory pump with a maxijet but I see you bought it used so it may already be one. It's one of the easier ways to cool down a nano. Those all should cool it down. The main thing is stability. If it sits at 82 all the time that's not bad as long as it doesn't jump up or down a couple degrees or "swing". Different fish have different healthy temps. The catalina gobie needs like 70 degree water. The warmer the water the shorter its lifespan. Clownfish are versatile. Any temp within reason 78-82 should be good. Coral is the same but more on the stable part. Between my tank and a couple friends I've noticed better growth under cooler temps. IMO though
the lady i bought it from didnt do anything to it.....left it stock ....she used it as a fowlr lol i dont know why she picked a hqi but whatever lol....

update 8-17-11

just bought two OC clowns and i received my CUC from reefcleaners ....OMG ....there was a lot of snails lol.......my anemone is eating good now ...i was afraid he wasnt happy but i spot feed him frozen brine shrimp out of a plastic 2 oz syring and he gobbled up a bunch :)

i think im going to buy rods food soon ??? some one told squid is good for my anemone ???

i keep hearing about table shrimp and mysis where do i get mysis and by table shrimp do u mean un-cooked shrimp u buy at the store ???

update....8-20-11

i checked my cal and it was 500 is this to much ???

and my alk was 214..... 12 drops ....is this to much ??

Table shrimp is the raw shrimp you buy at the local supermarket in the seafood section. :)

Heey everyone I got some presents yesterday ....my refractometer and my maxi"s but I tested my salinity and it was 1.029.

Could this be why my fish arnt eating and acting funnny ???

How do I get the salinty back down ??

Take salt water out and replace with freshwater to lower it. Get like a 32oz cup, then pull that much saltwater out and replace with fresh. Test again. I'd bring it down to 1.023 to 1.025.

You've had alot of swings in your tank... temp and salinity and such. They are prolly stressed out. Id feed food that's laced with garlic to help them.

Also... try different foods... might be pricy at first, but it'll be good for your tank. Personally I feed flake and every few days brine or mysis shrimp.

SAD UPDATE ;(

well i have some really bad news :( my very first OC clowns had ich or brook and i tried pulling them out and treat with formalin but they died before it arrived :( also i ordered some cool gsp from a fellow member in Florida but it didnt make the trip cause it was 105 in so cal that week so poor thing couldnt handle the heat.....

you know the funny thing is that the zoa's i bought from a guy off craigslist are doing perfect .....

so now im going fishless for 8 weeks to make sure that if it was ich/brook that it is dead before i put anthing in my tank .....im pretty sure im going to buy from liveaquaria also since they have the 30 day guarentee thing ....

why does this stuff happen to a new sw member lol i can see why people get frustrated and leave the hobby i mean come on your first fish purchase and this happens hahaha......ii gues theres nothing left to do but laugh at the situation ...,..

I had a 6 fish loss all at once about 2 months ago, and to be honest I cried like a baby while removing my first every salt fish, my b&w clowns who were the last to die.

Stuff like this just happens, sometimes you can pinpoint the cause and sometimes you just never will.

If you are dedicated you will continue on and try again. :)

Its a hard hobby and things die so just buck up and keep going.

I;m really sorry about your losses, like I said above, I totally understand and am very sorry .

carey said:
I had a 6 fish loss all at once about 2 months ago, and to be honest I cried like a baby while removing my first every salt fish, my b&w clowns who were the last to die.

Stuff like this just happens, sometimes you can pinpoint the cause and sometimes you just never will.

If you are dedicated you will continue on and try again. :)

Its a hard hobby and things die so just buck up and keep going.

I;m really sorry about your losses, like I said above, I totally understand and am very sorry .

I still miss my 2 clown gobbies and oc clown I lost half a year ago when I moved to my boyfriends house... I had them for three years and they were so great... :(

well my 8 weeks is up so i think all the ich is dead now sooooooo i went to the store yesterday and picked up 1 oc clown and a bi-color blenny :)

they seem to be perfect this morning so now i need your help to stock the rest of it i was thinking maybe a b&w clownfish and a 6 line warsse ??

do you think that would be fine ?? and will the oarnge clown and b&w clown pair up ??

ohhh ya i will post pics but i had to get photo shop because of the pheonix 14k bulb i have makes everything blue lol

Back
Top Bottom