New tanks for my bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Live plants with that red gravel likely won't look too good, IMHO. But if it appeals to you, that's all that matters.

You could def do snails!!! One of my bettas loves to have company but my other doesn't so it all really does depend on your guys;) one of mine also does real well with the ghost shrimp or larger shrimp. I couldn't do any of the smaller like the rcs as they would occasionally be snacks for each:0 tanks look great by the way!! And +1 on the loaches. I have four in my 55 but I always see them!! They love to play in my bubbles!!

hcourts said:
You could def do snails!!! One of my bettas loves to have company but my other doesn't so it all really does depend on your guys;) one of mine also does real well with the ghost shrimp or larger shrimp. I couldn't do any of the smaller like the rcs as they would occasionally be snacks for each:0 tanks look great by the way!! And +1 on the loaches. I have four in my 55 but I always see them!! They love to play in my bubbles!!

I have 4 khulis too and I always see them there never under the substrate they will hide in the plants and hidy holes but are always sniffing around for food they are awesome!

The red gravel is just sprinkled on top of the sand i don't think it will look bad, guess ill find out when I get some plants hahahaha. Thank ya I think they are way more happy now. :) I can't wait to get them some tank buddies

Hi, have you considered an apple snail or mystery snail? No issues with breeding.

I have one, Kipling, in with my sexy guy, Augustus, and he/she is fascinating to watch zoom around the tank in the evening, I feed a quarter of an algae disc every evening to supplement the bits and pieces in the tank.

And a chunk of cuttlefish bone for calcium.

I have two mystery snails in my 20g love those guys. They are so much more active then I ever thought they would be. Oh yes all my fish love those algae wafers they go nuts over them! I am really wanting to get some blue ramshorns thou I've been dying for one since I saw one on here. Lol

looking good so far should chuck a java fern or hair grass in

My Betta likes to rest on foliage near the surface. I got a plastic leaf on a suction cup at first (labeled a Betta hammock) which he used to rest on, but now I float Brazilian pennywort and he can swim through it and take naps in it. Mine never uses his cave but my apple snail goes to sleep in there instead!

I have 3 types of snails, the apple snail I mentioned, a ramshorn and a tiger olive nerite. I had an assassin snail for a week but he was acting strange from the beginning and died without ever moving very far.

I think the apple snail is the most active and his body is very graceful when he coasts around the tank. He is the fastest and will jump off plants and sail to the bottom. He poops like a maniac and I almost want to rehome him for that but in my 29 gallon Betta only tank I can let it slide. The nerite is the lease active and I don't know if they poop a lot. The ramshorn is cute, he does funny stuff too like float through the water and he is the easiest to observe because he stays out in the open. Also a constant pooper but not quite the volume as the apple snail.

image-3558641969.jpg

Piggy-back ride!!

Mine like to rest in plants too. Although one of mine has a betta log and he LOVES it!! He won't let any of the other fish near it!!! My other one prefers resting on an Anubis(sp?) plants. It's low light and would look great in your tanks!!

Lol for the snail pic. I have a gold mystery snail. He sure is an active one. He boot scoots it all around my tank. I would like to get more.

My female betta loves her new buddy, a yellow mystery snail from my ten gal, but thinks he is there to provide her with more food. Lol
The other thing is she hates the broad leaved plastic plant(only until I go to the LFS for live ones) that I stuck in there in place of a betta hammock or floating log. Bad betta! Lol
Your tanks look good, BTW! I like the matching decor. Do you have a blue betta for the other tank?

Sushi- Oh yes they have seemed to love swimming around and being able to stretch out their fins. I actually get to watch them swim around now and see them. Before they were in their vases and they didnt move too much and the vase didnt have a light over it so it did really attract your eye. Now i have them in the kitchen and living room both a joy to watch.
Lamby- Oh yes i plan to! I wanted to grab some yesterday but my LFS live plants werent looking too great.
Marsh- First of all LOVE the pic haha too hilarious. I had seen that betta hammock leaf and was wondering if they actually liked it or not. Maybe i should have grabbed them one. I have a yellow and black snails that look just like your yellow one and they are super active as well. I get a kick out of watching them go everywhere. I just ordered me 3 blue ramshorns thou.
Hcourts- I really like the plant you are talking about and i totally plan on getting some for the betta tanks. I have one in my 20g and ive been pretty happy with it.
Emerald- Haha thats too funny. I want to add a log or some type of rock in the tanks for more hiding spots and what not. Just havent seen anything that has caught my eye yet. Yes i do have a blue betta in the blue tank. xD He was meant to go in my bathroom to match the color theme i have going on in there but his tank is too big now so he is in the living room. There are some pretty blue rocks i was thinking of adding to the bottom of his tank but im not sure yet. But yes i am trying to color cordnate as much as i can. xD The red betta is in my kitchen i have red appliances and what not so he looks really awesome on my counter. Thank you for the compliment on the tanks. ><

Anyone know anything about crayfish? Whether they would bother the betta if i added one, or whether even a 5g is too small for them? I came across a bright blue crayfish and i think he would look awesome in my blue betta tank. But not going to risk it if he will be trying to attack the betta. I read that they do fine with aggressive fish thou?

When the betta goes to rest on the bottom at night the crayfish will most likely go in and kill and eat it

I want to add live plants. I planned on getting some today but both lfs I went to the plants looks terrible. :/

If you're having trouble finding plants locally I've gotten some very nice plants on-line from this website:
AquariumPlants.com (I recommend their hardy low-light section!)

This site was recommended to me by someone from the planted tank forums. I love my anubis plants, they're low light hardy and just tie on to decor (rocks, driftwood, whatever) so you don't have to worry about planting them down in the substrate. Mine have been growing since I got them 6 months ago with no help from me (I just recently purchased fertilizer and I have a low light set-up!).

Love the nano betta tanks though! I really want to do one sometime but I think I'm going to have to wait on it. I've had my 29g less than a year and I don't think my hubby would be too happy with me purchasing a new tank anytime soon... :oops:

Emerald- yea I was kinda thinkin that. Oh well.

Txaggie- haha I live in Texas by the way! I will totally check out that site thank you so much. :) yea I know my boyfriend is getting tired of my fish hobby already haha well he likes it, he just doesn't like how much I talk about it Lolol at the end of the day they are "just fish" to him.

Lilmack07 said:
Emerald- yea I was kinda thinkin that. Oh well.

Txaggie- haha I live in Texas by the way! I will totally check out that site thank you so much. :) yea I know my boyfriend is getting tired of my fish hobby already haha well he likes it, he just doesn't like how much I talk about it Lolol at the end of the day they are "just fish" to him.

Lol im the same my bf is like theres something new with your tanks everyday! Ive been trying to cut back on my talk about them with him i can tell hes thinking pleaseee no more fish talk! My 3 year old son tells me "no more fish mum, you have enough" haha

_skyla_ said:
Lol im the same my bf is like theres something new with your tanks everyday! Ive been trying to cut back on my talk about them with him i can tell hes thinking pleaseee no more fish talk! My 3 year old son tells me "no more fish mum, you have enough" haha

Haha that's too cute!!!

Got 3 blue ramshorns in today! They are sooooo tiny right now. I got three sizes small smaller and smallest lol I am excited to watch them grow. For now I have them all the the blue Bettas tank. When they get bigger I will separate them.

Attachments

• image-3157557818.jpg
    image-3157557818.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 79
  • image-2502459121.jpg
    image-2502459121.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom