Newbie in need of help! New tank, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes there is a high range test. If uou have a master test kit it should have a high range ph test in it.
That's where I was going with that, i was wondering if it had been used as well, I had a similar issue with high low end and low high end tests.

That's where I was going with that, i was wondering if it had been used as well, I had a similar issue with high low end and low high end tests.

If the Ph is reading on the low range Ph card theres really no reason to use the high range test. If it is maxed out on the low range test then use the high range test.
For example if you are reading a Ph of 7.6 on the low range card I would recommend useing the high range test because your Ph could be a little higher than the low range can read.

If the Ph is reading on the low range Ph card theres really no reason to use the high range test. If it is maxed out on the low range test then use the high range test.
For example if you are reading a Ph of 7.6 on the low range card I would recommend useing the high range test because your Ph could be a little higher than the low range can read.

When Ph is at the edge of high or low range it can be confusing.

Morning guys.
Didn't get chance to test last night only got home at midnight.

Ph - 7.0
High range ph - showing a pale yellow colour that isn't on the chart. Guessing that's because the ph has dropped back into the normal range
Ammonia - 0.25 ppm
Nitrites - 0ppm

No more deaths today. These test results are pre water change. Gonna do another one now before I go to work and test again

Looking pretty good there! Wc should knock that ammonia down, hopefully see some nitrites soon and you'll be in the home stretch:)

5 Orandas are turning black...Please HELP!!

I have 5 gold orandas in a 300L tank and now they are all turning black. It started with their fins and now is moving all over their bodies.
Ammonia and nitrates levels are normal.

I have done a 25-50% water change, and it seems to be getting worse. The tap water seems to have high pH (alkaline is 7.8) and that's when I noticed the burns, I added pH down and it is now neutral.

I have 1 black moor who is extremely healthy, but now is slowly turning grey-ish.

They are eating just fine...but it's freaking me out!!! HELP!!!

I have 5 gold orandas in a 300L tank and now they are all turning black. It started with their fins and now is moving all over their bodies. Ammonia and nitrates levels are normal. I have done a 25-50% water change, and it seems to be getting worse. The tap water seems to have high pH (alkaline is 7.8) and that's when I noticed the burns, I added pH down and it is now neutral. I have 1 black moor who is extremely healthy, but now is slowly turning grey-ish. They are eating just fine...but it's freaking me out!!! HELP!!!
Might want to start a new thread, get one of the big guns attention??also I wouldn't add anything to your tank until you know what the problem is, especially chemical ph adjusters. Did you use tap water treatment?

I have 5 gold orandas in a 300L tank and now they are all turning black. It started with their fins and now is moving all over their bodies.
Ammonia and nitrates levels are normal.

I have done a 25-50% water change, and it seems to be getting worse. The tap water seems to have high pH (alkaline is 7.8) and that's when I noticed the burns, I added pH down and it is now neutral.

I have 1 black moor who is extremely healthy, but now is slowly turning grey-ish.

They are eating just fine...but it's freaking me out!!! HELP!!!

I would definitely start a new thread on this topic as to not throw the OPs thread off track.

Doesn't sound like you're a newbie in need of help anymore! Going alright over there?

Touch wood everything is going great at the moment. Keeping up with the water changes is a little tricky as I'm working weird shifts at work lately and I always seem to be either working or sleeping lol. But I'm getting there. Ph is at a good level and ammonia is gradually decreasing.

So all in all. Things are looking good

:D

Oh hello, my discussion was moved elsewhere... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/5-orandas-turning-black-289615-4.html

Haven't really got to the bottom of the issue :(
People are being super nice about this, but honestly you need to stop bringing up your problem in this thread. This thread belongs to someone else and is intended to discuss the original poster's issue. There are only a few regular posters in this thread at this point so you are not getting a large audience for your problem. The most help can be gained by what you have already done, by posting in the main area.

I am so sorry if I come off mean, I don't mean to, I'm just trying to gently and politely redirect you so that you can get the most help! This is a very friendly forum and people are EAGER to help :) But that is what making one's own thread is for (which you did!). Just keep it up in the thread that you made about your orandas.

Just a quick one guys. I've been doing water changes every day for around 3 weeks now. I'm going to my parents house for Christmas and might be staying 2/3 days.
Is it gonna shock the tank if it suddenly goes 3 days without a water change as the fish are so used to daily water changes?

Just a quick one guys. I've been doing water changes every day for around 3 weeks now. I'm going to my parents house for Christmas and might be staying 2/3 days.
Is it gonna shock the tank if it suddenly goes 3 days without a water change as the fish are so used to daily water changes?

You are still in a cycle it is going to raise the ammonia alot and could possibly kill your stock.

Oh god!
Didn't realise it could be that bad. Better schedule a trip home during the Christmas break then

Thanks for the heads up

Back
Top Bottom