Signs of a sick cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi:

I got two bronze cories on Saturday.

One of them is lethargic and stays in one place. The other cory continuously cleans the gravel and has a big appetite.

I think tank parameters are okay since one is very happy.

Any suggestions on what to do? What are the signs of a sick cory?

How long should I wait to see if this "sick" cory will perk up? Should I start treating it? With what?

No other fish in the tank. Cycled tank 3 weeks before adding the cories

Thanks.

Honestly all you can do is watch your tank parametres (Maybe do a water change with cold water depending on your other fish) and hope for the best.

Sadly in my experience strange acting cories tend to be dead cories shortly after.

Reactions: LAK
Thanks Cynic. Will do water change. Hopefully that'll help.

No other fish in tank except for the 2 cories.

Cold water changes with Cory Cats is for breeding purposes. Is the cat still eating? I know you said that your water levels were normal but would you post them? Some species of Cories can be picky about water parameters and can be subject to sickness if the tank is not well established.

A healthy Cory will rummage through the tank looking for food whenever it is dropped into the tank, whether it actually eats it or not. If he's not doing that, he's not feeling well.

David

The "sick looking" cory perked up today and is rummaging for food and extremely active, like his partner. I'm so relieved. They really are so cute. I'm already attached. :)

Great news :)

While there's nothing sadder than a sick cory there's nothing happier than a happy cory :)

Bit late to jump in I know but when I got mine they were very shy for the 1st few days and were doing exactly what yours were.

Now they're great and zip around everywhere. Very cool to watch :)

Back
Top Bottom