small bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple_rose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a small tank with a fighter fish in it. it doesnt have a pump/filter. there is alot of tiny bubbles, its like a gel that sits on top of the water. if anyone knows how to get rid of it id like to know!

yeah like that but not so much of it. i keep the tanks right next to each other, he can see my other fighter fish and they try to fight through the tank. could that have something to do with it? how can i get him to stop?

It's what the males do, build bubble nests. He'll stop when he's ready. If it bothers you, add a small air stone to disrupt the nest.

The males build the nests to get ready for spawning. If the male is healthy, he's going to do it, it's a natural instinct.

is it normal for a fighter fish to try and attack another one from a different tank? i have two tanks next to each other and they wont stop trying to fight through the glass. now one of them is trying to hurt my gold fish >.<

It's very normal.

They're called fighters for a reason. :)

The males will get upset seeing another male. Even seeing a female. They are highly territorial. If they see it, it's theirs.

Breeding them takes perfect timing because of this.

But yes, your male is being a normal male in every regard: bubble nest building, flaring at another male.

Normal.

Although goldfish aren't really a good tank mate for bettas. Goldies can be very messy fish.

Is your goldie a fancy? Long flowing fins? If so, the betta can see him as a potential threat. Long flowing fins make them think of other male bettas.

One thing about pet stores/ LFS, some will say anything to get the sale. Just because a betta doesn't have to have a heater (though it is preferred) some places will tell you goldies will be fine.

It boils down to the fish itself.

Some bettas can do fine with other fish, most don't.

I had a female, which is supposed to be the less aggressive sex, kill everything in her tank. Corys, snails, she shook neon tetras like a rag doll. Her male didn't bother anything.

Back
Top Bottom