So, my new 10 gallon goldfish tank, what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
1 black moor goldfish, 4 white cloud mountain minnows, and 8 ghost shrimp

Attachments

• image-793569062.jpg
    image-793569062.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 183
I'm assuming your gravel is the Top Fin "polished natural pebble" type from Petsmart, and you got your "tree root" decor piece there too? :cool: I have the exact same substrate in my 60 gallon, and had one of those "tree stump" pieces from Pet-not-so-Smart as well (not the exact one you have there)...

Here's the thing with 10 gallon tanks and goldfish -- that Moor is going to grow. I know from experience. We had a small female Moor just like yours that is now much larger, fatter and has changed colors from the velvety black on her scales to a vibrant orange/gold, keeping just black tips on her fins. Because of an emergency, we had to keep four fancy goldfish in a 10 gallon, and did so successfully for almost a year (they have since be rehomed to a 60 gallon Marineland tank) but this was ONLY because I did DAILY 50% water changes.

I commend you for keeping just the one goldfish in there for now because of the space constraints of a 10 gallon -- but goldfish don't belong in a tank of that size, trust me. Eventually, his/her growth will be stunted and it will cause all sorts of problems...do you have any plans on moving the Moor to a larger aquarium?

Take a close look at this pic of the way my tank stands today (in progress), and zoom in on the Moor, who is the dark gold/orange-y fish with the black tails...

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 253
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 2,095
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 128
Wow, this is a very cool tank, I just love the little bubblers on the back:) great tank!
No, unfortunately my parents won't allow me to buy a larger tank, even though I have my own money, is this 10 gallon really that horrible for the moor?

Wow, this is a very cool tank, I just love the little bubblers on the back:) great tank!
No, unfortunately my parents won't allow me to buy a larger tank, even though I have my own money, is this 10 gallon really that horrible for the moor?

Well a full grown moor would barely be able to turn around

Unfortunately, 10 gallons isn't enough for any goldfish. If you can't have a bigger tank, I'd suggest picking some different fish. Shame on the pet store for not telling you this!

Thank you, loach. :)

Actually, those "bubblers" are simply two of THESE, placed side by side in the back, being fed by a Top Fin air pump:

800443086414C.jpg

The tank is not even NEAR done; this was just an attempt at trying an "Asian/Zen" kind of theme for the goldfish...we need a TON of plants and a background, and I'm not sure how any of this is going to play out yet...

Thanks for the kind words, though! :thanks:(y)

Is it that they just don't want a big fish tank in the house? Can you at least upgrade to, say, a 46 gallon bowfront or something? Tell them it doesn't have to be a "large" tank like a 55, 60 or more gallon...

Unfortunately the 10g tank is way too small for a goldfish & unfortunately Petsmart employees & others do not pass this info onto the consumer. One goldfish shouldn't be in anything less than a 20g as a permanent home. I would take the Goldie back & get either some small schooling fish or a Betta. Also if you haven't already you'll want to read up on cycling a tank which is EXTREMELY important with a new tank. Do a bunch of research before you go back to the store so you know exactly what you're getting. Good luck.

Unfortunately the 10g tank is way too small for a goldfish & unfortunately Petsmart employees & others do not pass this info onto the consumer. One goldfish shouldn't be in anything less than a 20g as a permanent home. I would take the Goldie back & get either some small schooling fish or a Betta. Also if you haven't already you'll want to read up on cycling a tank which is EXTREMELY important with a new tank. Do a bunch of research before you go back to the store so you know exactly what you're getting. Good luck.

EDIT: Sorry I missed you had some smaller fish in the tank.

Unfortunately, 10 gallons isn't enough for any goldfish. If you can't have a bigger tank, I'd suggest picking some different fish. Shame on the pet store for not telling you this!

I agree with Dracor here about perhaps going with something different for a 10 gallon if you MUST keep it; try and rehome the Moor at either the store you bought him or try to find someone that can take care of him properly...

You can get some small tropicals like Neon Tetras for a 10 gallon, or perhaps some juvenile Guppies; someone else would be better equipped to recommend some tropical species for you...

EDIT: Ah, yes, I see Shelli caught it too -- you already have some Minnows in there...well, you can add, if you want, some smallish species with them like the aforementioned Neons, if they are compatible (it's been a LONG time since I kept tropicals)...

Hey Dracor -- on your comment regarding the store not telling him this about goldfish...did you really expect this? Let me tell you something: Chain stores like Pet-not-so-Smart or Petco will sell you a Great White Shark for your five-gallon tank if it meant taking your money and making a profit and/or getting a commission...:rolleyes:

Gold fish do get pretty big. I think you should get rid of the gold fish and some more shrimp and maybe some more minnows. I had ghost shrimp i got 12 for $ .99 and i had around 24. They were really cool and fun to watch. I wouldnt get them at petsmart though they overprice them like crazy. Oh and i know exactly how you feel about your parents not letting you get a bigger tank. Check out my sig.

Man, thanks for this info guys, you guys are awesome!
Man, it just makes me feel cruel now, I can't return the fish because I've had it too much time, and my parents won't let me give it away.
I told them that just a 20 gallon would do for the goldfish, and that the ten gallon I already have will house a small school of tiny fish like guppies, but they just won't let me get the 20 gallon.
I hate the pet stores now, they just want to make money, the don't have a heart for these poor animals:(

Interesting observation I have made: I see a good number of people on this site making references to "their parents" and "needing to go to school" and such with regard to maintaining/building a tank, and I am just curious...what is the average age of members on this forum?

I ask because with all these comments, I truly feel old.....:nono::bawl:

Well, I am fourteen, but I take care of a 55 gallon tank by myself, no help, I clean the goldfish 10 gallon tank ( shown here) twice a week, I also have a job. I take care of the two tanks, two guinea pigs, two tortoises, and two bearded dragons, and I am prepared to take care of 10 more animals if I could

Well, I am fourteen, but I take care of a 55 gallon tank by myself, no help, I clean the goldfish 10 gallon tank ( shown here) twice a week, I also have a job. I take care of the two tanks, two guinea pigs, two tortoises, and two bearded dragons, and I am prepared to take care of 10 more animals if I could

Wow...a fellow animal lover...good for you...(y)

Where is your 55 gallon? Is that in your house?

What are goldfish like I've never kept them (supprisingly I've been keeping fish since I was seven) my dad said that I can get another tank when I have the money... So close two more weeks... I'm 12

Yes, here is my 55 gallon tank if you want to take a look at it

Attachments

• image-1843576396.jpg
    image-1843576396.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image-1418003338.jpg
    image-1418003338.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2407461420.jpg
    image-2407461420.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 90
Back