So, my new 10 gallon goldfish tank, what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would put the gold fish in the 55 gallon, get 6 more minnows and some more shrimp. Maybe even some red cherry shrimp. Just remember research every fish or invertebrate before buying!!!

So shrimp, minnows, how about guppies, and loaches are not agressive, they only grow to 4 inches

Well loaches can get pretty big and i would not put anything bigger then 2-3" in a 10 gallon. If you get guppies make sure you only get males or you will have a mess of guppies. Try not to overstock the tank or you will have some serious water quality problems.

I agree that the goldfish needs a bigger home, but I think the 10 gallon will be large enough for that small of a moor for a time. That black moor could do way worse than a 10 gallon. I can't even begin to count the times I've seen a mother leave the petstore with a 1 gallon mini bow and 3 fancy goldfish. If it were me and I had that current setup I would change half of the water every other day. I would try to convince your parents to let you get a larger tank. A tank to take care of is another thing to take care of, the size is irrelevant.

I agree that the goldfish needs a bigger home, but I think the 10 gallon will be large enough for that small of a moor for a time. That black moor could do way worse than a 10 gallon. I can't even begin to count the times I've seen a mother leave the petstore with a 1 gallon mini bow and 3 fancy goldfish. If it were me and I had that current setup I would change half of the water every other day. I would try to convince your parents to let you get a larger tank. A tank to take care of is another thing to take care of, the size is irrelevant.

True, on most of your points, and YES -- it breaks my heart that so many people leave a pet store with a bowl and a couple of goldfish or a one-gallon because they feel it will "suffice" based on what the imbecilic, juvenile salesperson told them; and I have kept FOUR fancies alive, thriving and healthy in a 10 gallon for almost a year, but, as you pointed out, it required a ton of maintenance...I did a 50% water change DAILY, but it wasn't that bad because it was only five gallons coming out...

Still, at the end of the day, these fancy goldfish need bigger homes to thrive; I got my four guys into the 60 gallon as soon as I had it set up...eventually (and I don't know how much time his particular Moor is going to require), that Black Moor is going to stretch and grow, and we don't want his/her growth stunted...

Still, at the end of the day, these fancy goldfish need bigger homes to thrive; I got my four guys into the 60 gallon as soon as I had it set up...eventually (and I don't know how much time his particular Moor is going to require), that Black Moor is going to stretch and grow, and we don't want his/her growth stunted...

Yeah, I defintely agree with you. I just hate to see him get rid of a fish he can care for well if he just needs a little more time to get a better tank. By the way, I'm glad your 60 gallon tank worked out for your goldfish.

Edit: Glad to hear that! Go for the 20 long if you can versus the high.

Yeah, I defintely agree with you. I just hate to see him get rid of a fish he can care for well if he just needs a little more time to get a better tank. By the way, I'm glad your 60 gallon tank worked out for your goldfish.

Edit: Glad to hear that!

Thanks, Laser! (y)

It's NOWHERE near done and complete so far as layout and design/scaping, but here are some shots of what it pretty much looks like now; let me know what you think!

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 55
Nice, here you go

Attachments

• image-750695032.jpg
    image-750695032.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image-1845778685.jpg
    image-1845778685.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 47
  • image-2053308195.jpg
    image-2053308195.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 52
  • image-96403707.jpg
    image-96403707.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 49
  • image-1078757700.jpg
    image-1078757700.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 55
Man, I just love your "black" moor, with that beautiful orange body color and black tipped tail, I still thinks those bubbles are awesome!

Man, I just love your "black" moor, with that beautiful orange body color and black tipped tail, I still thinks those bubbles are awesome!

Thanks, Loach! Your Moor will most likely turn this orange/gold color as well, if he/she stays healthy and grows....

So be prepared! (y)

I'll see if I can get some close-up shots of "Ebony," our Black/Gold Moor, so you can see her in all her beauty...;)

So, if my moor is healthy, it will turn that color, or if it stays black it will mean it is still heathy? Man, now I want it to turn your color:)

So, if my moor is healthy, it will turn that color, or if it stays black it will mean it is still heathy? Man, now I want it to turn your color:)

Yes; I believe the changing of the color, actually, doesn't have anything specifically to do with their "health" per se, so let me take back what I originally said -- your Moor will likely change to the gold/orange with some black, but there is a biological explanation for why this happens with them that one of our moderators, "JLK," can explain in greater detail for you...

You can contact her privately via PM or perhaps she will bounce into this thread...

Funny you mention that you want your Moor to change to the gold/orange; my wife really wanted a Moor that would remain that velvety black in color, growing to get those long, flowing fantails...she was actually a little disappointed when Ebony changed colors, though she still loves her...lol...

From what I have read, these "all black" Moor varities, when adult and commanding in size, are kind of rare to find, and most of the time you have to go through a breeder -- when we have enough money, I am going to track down a fancy goldie breeder and order an adult, beautiful Black Moor that's jet black with the velvety scales and flowing fins....(y):dance:

Well, it would be nice to keep a pure black and an orange black "hybrid moor" but again, I am going through enough troubles buying that 20 gallon, let alone 2 goldfish need 40 gallons minimum if I am correct, but that golden color, I am just fascinated by it, I have never seen a golden moor before, awesome!

Back
Top Bottom