starting a 150 gallon predator tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marktheshark

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have decided to convert my 150 gallon from a community tank to a predatory tank. I want to know how much filtration I would need, what kind of fish I can get, should it be planted, and any suggestions that anyone has.

What kind of fish are you talking sbout? There are plenty of predatory fish but they range from 4"-30". Need more info.

Im looking for larger predatory fish, I'm hoping to house more then one and have multiple species.

Like what? Payara? Piranhas? Wolf fish?

I have an open mind and want to see what people think I should do.... but a wolf fish would be awsome, but I'm not sure if I keep any other fish with it.

Ya you can very cautiously. Or you could get one vampire tetra and a couple red belly piranhas.

I want to stay away from piranhas but what tank mates would you suggest for a wolf fish or a vampire tetra

Well the wolf i would suggsst some larger cichlids. Same with the vampire but you do not want them to be fighting becuae the vampire will shred them. Umm an arow for the top but will eventually get to big for your tank.

Well the wolf i would suggsst some larger cichlids. Same with the vampire but you do not want them to be fighting becuae the vampire will shred them. Umm an arow for the top but will eventually get to big for your tank.

Ok, do you think a clown knife or a ghost black knife would be ok with either of them?

Well that depends, what do you think you stock will be?

Not sure yet, but right now I have 800 gph of filtration. Should that be ok if I don't overstock the tank? And should I plant the tank?

What filters are they? I have a xp l and a cascade 1000 on my 150 and im saving up to switch the cascade to a xp xl.

Edit: the xp are filstar canisters

What filters are they? I have a xp l and a cascade 1000 on my 150 and im saving up to switch the cascade to a xp xl.

Edit: the xp are filstar canisters

They are canister filters that are knock offs by sun sun but they work really well! They have a built in 9 watt uv light.

Well i would say that because you are looking at predatory fish get a fx5 and a smaller canister or three mid range canister rated for 125-200 gallons

Back
Top Bottom