'Surprise' Extra Betta Sent - What to Do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GulfShrimplet

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just heard from my betta dealer in Thailand that he included the female mate for my male betta in my already shipped order. He charged me $20 extra for her plus the extra cost to ship her. I payed to preserve my reputation on Aquabid. I'll also have to pay the transshipper extra for her. I need advice regarding my options.

My budget is tight. And I have no place to house her. I had intended to spoil my betta with a large tank for a betta (8g), http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewi...400371&gclid=CNDUguzDh7UCFfSmPAodSksASgplants and even fish toys. It's taken me three months to afford this setup and fish from Thailand (I like them young so I'll have more time with them, healthy, and pretty). I cannot afford to replicate this setup for another fish, and I'll feel bad spoiling one and leaving the other with a small unheated uncycled unplanted tank.

1) Try to resell her and have her sent from transshipper if she'll allow it.
2) Try to sell her and send her after she arrives at my home.
3) Keep her in a small somewhat heated uncycled tank. Our house is often cold in the winter(60F or so).
4) Rig a divider to fit this 12'' x 12'' x 14''T tank. Will have to be custom not to mention unsightly.
5) Keep her in cheap 5g or 10g tank with cheap(er) equipment. I really don't have the cash for this especially after paying extra for that surprise.

6) Do y'all have any ideas.

Thank you!

Terri

Weird. What so he told you after you paid for the male that hed sent a female aswell and then asked for more money? Id of told him where to go.

Wow! Sounds like the Betta dealer took some liberties. Do you have a local Craigslist? Maybe post her in the classifieds on here and ask for local pickup? In the mean time I would house her however you can afford. I'm sorry that happened to you, kinda sucks that you got stuck paying for a fish you didn;t even order! WHere are you located? Maybe a member nearby can help you out?

Yes. I thought about your response but I didn't want to risk being banned from Aquabid for nonpayment.

Now that I calmed down, I do think you are right because I could have responded with the info that the seller sent a fish we didn't agree on.

Silly me!

Brennae, that's a great idea. I haven't bought/sold anything on Craigslist so I didn't think about it.

I'm in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Well you're far from me up here near Chicago or I would lend you some housing for the fish. I have bought and sold quite a bit off Craigslist. Just make sure you meet in a public place or take someone with you. I've only allowed one buyer to the house to buy a 55g tank but I had a guy friend help me carry it to the drive and I didn;t let the people in the house. I see lots of fish post on Chicago craigslist. I'm sure you will be able to unload this extra.

You're so sweet. Yes Chicago is pretty far from here.

What do you think of a betta barracks type insert in the main tank? Will they keep trying to breed? Would that be unhealthy for the fish?

I think a lot of people divide Betta tanks to house more fish. I also think your problem would be the fish flaring to each other in an aggressive way but to my knowledge that won't harm the fish any. I guess if you want to try to breed them at some point this would be a good setup. I have read that the Bettas really beat each other up during breeding. WHen I was quite young I stupidly put two Bettas in a bowl and they bred and didn't hurt each other but I would never try that now that I know better.

I have an 8g tank I badly rigged for my last betta. I took out the filtration system and added a slow one. It's what killed the fish. He got into the tray left by the old system and got stuck out of water.

I hear that female Bettas are stronger swimmers than males but I'm thinking she'll be a halfmoon too. I'll try to see if she can withstand the flow of the original filtration. I don't want to lose another in that tray otherwise.

I'm going into the garage tomorrow to see if that tank has accessories such as the original filtration, heater, etc.

It has a stand. I think it'll be perfect for the kitchen, giving me something to do while I'm cooking. Plus, it's too noisy for my bedroom.

I'll have to see. Otherwise, I'm still open to a resale.

My female is definitely a stronger swimmer. She is actually more aggressive too! I wonder if you can rig something up so they don't get trapped? Extra pieces of plastic or something? If anything you can check Craigs for a used small tank. I see them listed all the time for cheap. You should be able to get a 10g for $5 to $10 dollars with or without equipment.

Wow, that's really horrible he did that to you! You could always go to wally world and buy one of those plastic storage tubs and put her in there if you have an extra heater and filter. You could get a 40 gal or so for $10 or just a 10 gal one. Even if it doesn't have a heater I am sure it is much better than what 99% of other bettas are kept in..

I would rig up a divider that they can't see through, the save up for the little tank you want. The do have great little tanks at Wally World, which my the time you build a divider, you could do this for just a few bucks more. I understand that money is tight.

As far as the seller, I would write him a note and isn't there a problem solver at Craigs list? Never used it. Sure isn't fair!

Thank you guys! I'm going to look into all the options. I never thought of just a plastic tub and I'll look into making my own divider. I'm not handy that way so the thought of making one intimidates me.

If these options don't work out I'll post her in the classifieds or on Craigslist, which was a bust for finding aquariums in my area. Like 4 for offer and one guy actually begging for used ones. Unbelievable!

I just heard from my betta dealer in Thailand that he included the female mate for my male betta in my already shipped order. He charged me $20 extra for her plus the extra cost to ship her. I payed to preserve my reputation on Aquabid. I'll also have to pay the transshipper extra for her. I need advice regarding my options.

My budget is tight. And I have no place to house her. I had intended to spoil my betta with a large tank for a betta (8g), http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=EH6400371&child=EH6400371&utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=EH6400371&gclid=CNDUguzDh7UCFfSmPAodSksASgplants and even fish toys. It's taken me three months to afford this setup and fish from Thailand (I like them young so I'll have more time with them, healthy, and pretty). I cannot afford to replicate this setup for another fish, and I'll feel bad spoiling one and leaving the other with a small unheated uncycled unplanted tank.

1) Try to resell her and have her sent from transshipper if she'll allow it.
2) Try to sell her and send her after she arrives at my home.
3) Keep her in a small somewhat heated uncycled tank. Our house is often cold in the winter(60F or so).
4) Rig a divider to fit this 12'' x 12'' x 14''T tank. Will have to be custom not to mention unsightly.
5) Keep her in cheap 5g or 10g tank with cheap(er) equipment. I really don't have the cash for this especially after paying extra for that surprise.

6) Do y'all have any ideas.

Thank you!

Terri

Heres what I would do if I was really a betta fanatic. I would buy a tank from petsmart. Like a 10 gallon tank only. Then buy (or diy) a sponge filter. Less than 10 bucks minus the air pump. Then buy the heater. Take plants clippings out of your current setup to plant the new tank. This all depends on your budget though of course.

Heres what I would do if I was really a betta fanatic. I would buy a tank from petsmart. Like a 10 gallon tank only. Then buy (or diy) a sponge filter. Less than 10 bucks minus the air pump. Then buy the heater. Take plants clippings out of your current setup to plant the new tank. This all depends on your budget though of course.
Tanks from Petsmart were originally out of my budget for what I wanted (5g or more so it could be heated and cycled). They were about $40 plus just for the tank without heater or filter. At the moment just buying the heater and filter was too expensive. It's taken me almost three months to afford the first setup.

The panic was over finding a place for a betta sent yesterday. They didn't make that shipment so they won't be sent until the end of January. That gives me some room to find and afford a tank with my February check.

Who knows, I might actually breed them. I'd saved to buy an extra nice clean white halfmoon male so this fish is nice quality.

It seems to working out fine. God is indeed awesome!!!

Tanks from Petsmart were originally out of my budget for what I wanted (5g or more so it could be heated and cycled). They were about $40 plus just for the tank without heater or filter. At the moment just buying the heater and filter was too expensive. It's taken me almost three months to afford the first setup.

The panic was over finding a place for a betta sent yesterday. They didn't make that shipment so they won't be sent until the end of January. That gives me some room to find and afford a tank with my February check.

Who knows, I might actually breed them. I'd saved to buy an extra nice clean white halfmoon male so this fish is nice quality.

It seems to working out fine. God is indeed awesome!!!

Sweet deal!

I have an 8g tank I badly rigged for my last betta. I took out the filtration system and added a slow one. It's what killed the fish. He got into the tray left by the old system and got stuck out of water."

Maybe fill the tray on the one where it got stuck with filter floss or styrofoam or biobeads just something no toxic to fill space it cant land and get stuck in. Fish seem to get stuck in the weirdest places. You paid alot and won't likely get your money back.

Do you have a community tank, females can go in there.

Can I be the bearer of good news?

:) Hey there, REALLY horrible that the breeder charged you :nono:, but here is where I can brighten it up a little :cool: Male and female pairs can be kept together, all that's needed is lots of soft plants, silk flowers or live plants and cavernous lava rock and driftwood... I keep 3 females and a male with schoolers in a 40g..... The only thing really is to keep an eye out for aggressive fin nipping- a couple hollow decorations for them to call their own and their own leaf to sleep on and you shouldn't have a problem!!
(y):dance:

I have an 8g tank I badly rigged for my last betta. I took out the filtration system and added a slow one. It's what killed the fish. He got into the tray left by the old system and got stuck out of water."

Maybe fill the tray on the one where it got stuck with filter floss or styrofoam or biobeads just something no toxic to fill space it cant land and get stuck in. Fish seem to get stuck in the weirdest places. You paid alot and won't likely get your money back.

Do you have a community tank, females can go in there.
Good idea for the old tank.

I did briefly, inadvertently, have a sorority betta tank. I say that because I seem to be a magnet for sellers sending me extra female fish. Ten years ago I order a male from an American dealer. I opened the package to find 10 (!) additional female fish. I had a spare 15g tank at the breeders suggestion I put them all in it. They did not get along, especially one female who was determined to attack the others. His response? ''Red Bettas are aggressive.'' So he sent her to me with nine sisters! Just to clean out his stock. I ended up buying pint bowls at Wallyworld to put each in her own. Colleagues dropped by and took them home for their grand kids. Whew!

I didn't expect a pro breeder from Thailand to do the same and charge me extra to inconvenience me.

I'd planned to have two tanks in my bedroom. I planned to turn the cycled and mature Eheim Aquastyle into a shrimp tank and give the betta a new ADA planted tank later. Now I'll have three or maybe put a betta in the kitchen. Decisions, decisions!

Now I need to pre-cycle two tanks! Need more Dr. Tim's One and Only. Already have their ammonia. Hope they will cycle immediately or in days. Strangely, I ordered black Eco-ComPlete I decided not to use in favor of Fluval Shrimp Stratum so I could later turn that tank into a Blue Pearl or Snowball shrimp tank when I moved the betta to a planted ADA tank. Therefore I have on hand substrate that states that it will instantly cycle a tank. I planned to give it alway so I guess I kept it for a reason.

I mean that God is good in providing time for me to afford a new tank. Still wondering why about the female fish. Time will tell.

:) Hey there, REALLY horrible that the breeder charged you :nono:, but here is where I can brighten it up a little :cool: Male and female pairs can be kept together, all that's needed is lots of soft plants, silk flowers or live plants and cavernous lava rock and driftwood... I keep 3 females and a male with schoolers in a 40g..... The only thing really is to keep an eye out for aggressive fin nipping- a couple hollow decorations for them to call their own and their own leaf to sleep on and you shouldn't have a problem!!
(y):dance:
Good to know! I was afraid they would keep trying to breed or if divided, the female would harm her health by producing eggs all the time (I don't know if that's possible:blink:!).

My tank is only 8g. Will that make a difference?

Back
Top Bottom