'Surprise' Extra Betta Sent - What to Do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a really easy tank divider you can make even if you have next to no skills and it is really cheap.
You take a piece of plastic canvas (it comes in different colors and has holes punched in it, this will let water flow to both sides of the tank.) Cost: $1.50
Buy those report covers that are just a plastic spine, and a clear sheet of see-through plastic Cost: $2-3
Cut plastic canvas to fit down the middle of your tank.
Remove the clear sheets of plastic from the report covers and slide the stiff plastic spines down the sides and bottom of the plastic canvas.
The stiff plastic spines help keep the canvas standing up. Bury the bottom spine in your substrate, maybe lean a decoration against each side to keep it upright, and you are done.

This is what I did for my 10 gallon for 2 male bettas. They worked out just fine, Just make sure to anchor it real good, because they like to dig sometimes. Its cheap too hobby lobby 1.02 with tax, and the binder clips.

Attachments

• divider1.jpg
    divider1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 125
Woohoo! Thanks you guys for those divider instructions. That tank looks nice, and the instructions look nice, easy and cheap!

Will they keep wanting to breed if kept in the same tank? Is that bad for their health?

The male won't care, he is programed to mate as many times as possible. But it will stress the female and in the end she could die.
Thanks. I was afraid of that.

So two tanks it is. I found a relatively inexpensive glass tank to buy, and I'll buy the same nano filter.

She won't have a light right away so no real plants for a while. Not buying the same expensive Cobalt electronic heater, just one costing around $20 or so. She won't have a light right away so no real plants for her for a while. Sorry for sex discrimination ;) but I wasn't expecting her so I didn't budget likewise. Thankfully I already have the extra substrate.

I had planned the nice setup as a splurge for myself but wasn't counting on and won't do two of them. One will live in a mansion and one in a just a nice heated cycled 5 plus gallon house with some toys. In the coming weeks I might get her the R2 Fish Trainer first I that was planning to get the male and buy him one later to make it up to her.

The plastic canvas is not see through if you buy the one with the little little holes or the black one. I used the black and they didn't even care. They never flared really at the barrier, they could tell something was there shadows, but not another betta. I had a feisty Black orchard crowntail betta and a old timer Betta who could careless. :lol:

They won't even know each other are there if you are worried about breeding

The plastic canvas is not see through if you buy the one with the little little holes or the black one. I used the black and they didn't even care. They never flared really at the barrier, they could tell something was there shadows, but not another betta. I had a feisty Black orchard crowntail betta and a old timer Betta who could careless. :lol:

They won't even know each other are there if you are worried about breeding
Oh, good! I will check out Hobby Lobby tomorrow.

You will probably want to add tall plants in the center anyway to sorta hide the divider, it shouldn't stress her out. Just keep the top of the divider high above the waterline as possible, they are excellent jumpers! :eek:

I do hope you gave him a bad rating and explaination of what he did and the extra charging. It won't help you but might help some other unspecting buyer.

If I can't get a separate tank, my first choice, I will definitely try the black divider and/or of plants between the Bettas.

As for the breeder, I thought about dinging him in the ratings but I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and forgive. He did offer the female, and I didn't decline her specifically when I got back to him about my selection of transshipper. I just assumed he would need an affirmative before adding an extra fish.

He sent the fish to the airport in a hurry before I paid so maybe he thought my singular fish was plural fish when I said send it. I hope it was miscommunication so I don't want to ding him. Or he played me for a fool. :oops: They are in the shipping pipeline but no longer with the breeder but not yet sent to the transshipper.

I wonder if I could send her back to the breeder? I guess I can ask him...

Great news! I was able to buy a new filter from my old tank's manufacturer for a total of $37! That includes a new pump, ceramic media, sponge, and shipping! Saved me over $73 from the cheapest setup I found to replace it. Gold mine in the garage! Woohoo!

I removed the old pump to replace it with Fluval Nano Filter for my last male halfmoon betta because the flow was too strong. That left a large gap in the back so I kept the filter tray to block it. One day the betta got stuck in there and died out of the water. :(

I'm hoping a young female betta will be able to withstand the current of a tank restored to factory specs. She won't be able to get into the tray this way.

I couldn't find the old filter assembly. I suspect it was thrown away with the first broken stand. But it cost relative peanuts to replace so I ain't hating!

Now I gotta go clean that bad boy! :huh:

To God be the glory!

Hopefully they are both healthy when you get them :) We'll want pics too!! :D

I will try. I'm probably the only grown woman whose mother has to help her post pics.:oops:

Here is a picture and video:http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_closed_item&fwbettashm1359472575 Let me know if it doesn't work.

The male is an opaque white halfmoon. Surprising because I used to go for the vivid ones. My bedroom is now a soft yellow so a red fish just doesn't cut it now.

Back
Top Bottom