'Surprise' Extra Betta Sent - What to Do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The bettas are here! They arrived about 45 minutes ago.

I almost lost the female - I put them in separate uncovered cups while I transferred water from the tanks into their shipping water.

While I was in one room with the male, she jumped from her cup on the counter to under the kitchen table. I took me some frantic minutes to find her as she was three feet away (!) and white on a white floor.

Pray for her. She has kitchen chemicals on her. I should have washed her off before she went into her tank but it's probably too late now.

Just put extra prime and then change the water out after maybe half hour after she has time to swish around a little. you can safely dose 5x prime. otherwise stresscoat then change the water.

She should be fine, I had an amano shrimp jump into chemicals, still alive and thriving.

Post some pictures of them when they are in their new tanks!

The bettas are here! They arrived about 45 minutes ago.

I almost lost the female - I put them in separate uncovered cups while I transferred water from the tanks into their shipping water.

While I was in one room with the male, she jumped from her cup on the counter to under the kitchen table. I took me some frantic minutes to find her as she was three feet away (!) and white on a white floor.

Pray for her. She has kitchen chemicals on her. I should have washed her off before she went into her tank but it's probably too late now.

OMG, what a dramatic entrance she has made!! Hope all ok, looking forward to pics.

So far they are okay. The male is happily swimming around. And deciding to perch on the heater. I can't wait for their 'plants' to get here from Petco today. It taking them long enough.

The female is hanging in the corner by the filter intake. The filter is not on. I did put Prime in the tank - thanks guys. The pet store clerk says theirs fall on the floor all the time with no lingering problems. I'm just praying they'll both live long, healthy, and happy lives with us.

She is pure white too!

I will post pics as soon as the tanks clear. Wasn't feeling well last few days so didn't get stuff into them until last night (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!).

I will attempt to take pics tomorrow morning if the tanks are clear by then. Hopefully, I'll have chosen names to go with their personalities by then too.

Thanks so much for everyone's help and interest.

Neat!! Last name entry: jasmina and porthos

Ima dork "Porthos, honest and slightly gullible, is the extrovert of the group, enjoying wine, women and song. Though he is often seen as the comic relief, he is also extremely dedicated and loyal toward his friends and fellow Musketeers. His eating abilities even impress King Louis XIV during a banquet at Versailles. As the story advances, he looks more and more of a giant, and his death is that of a titan." -Wikipedia

when I was a child, we had a betta in a bowl (don't shoot me, I didn't know then what i know now). Anyway, I was cleaning the bowl, and I thought the betta went down the sink. I was very sad, many tears, etc. About three hours later, my mom was going to make dinner, and thought she saw a piece of beef lying beside the sink. It was my red betta! We put him back in the bowl, and he (somewhat) happily swam round and round for another 2 years.
I must have dropped him when i was cleaning the bowl, and he lived out of water for three hours, they are much hardier than we usually give them credit for. Hopefully your little gal does the same.

I spent a few years working at a lfs and I maintain a fishroom now... I have had many many fish jump from my net and most survive. Most fish are a lot more resilient than you would expect. Also, don't feel like you are the only one that ever dropped your fish. You aren't. ;)

I am guilty of dropped fish, I dropped my molly and she is swimming fine and still kicking. I suggest the stress coat by API. I gave her some in her tank and everyone perked up. I have also dropped one of my CPDS. Put him in the tank and he went and schooled with the rest. We have all done it.

Oh your keeping us hooked in suspence!! ;-) Hope she is ok.
I'm sorry. I didn't wake up until noon my time, and then I got busy talking to a friend.

I thought I crushed her in the lid's hinge last night .She stopped moving after that, and a few times I thought she was dead but I left here just in case she recovered. I was scared, felt guilty, and prayed about her last night. This afternoon she keeps her head in a downward posture but she can swim when she feels like it. They are both extremely lazy or just not used to their new homes yet.

I need to get rid of her tank. The previous betta died after getting into the fllet tray. I'd hoped I 'd solved that problem but I guess not. :banghead: Sadly, I could have bought her a new tank for what it cost to restore that older tank's filtration to stock and block off the part which killed the previous betta.

The boy swims and does sometimes initiate interaction with me. The girl, never but I guess I can't blame her. I'm just leaving her in peace for the time being.

The girl's tank is clear now. The boy's better but not yet clear. I'll take pics as soon as they clear and the girl lets me near her. The girl did let me put a plant in her tank. The boy hid from his plant and faux log so I had to take them out. He likes to rest on the heater or filter spray bar He doesn't like the filtration yet but he's getting some tomorrow. I must have a cycled tank!

I hope to get them real plants and logs soon. I would have put the decorations in first but it took forever for them to get here - around 9:00pm! I was so annoyed and stress by then, especially since I had an earlier UPS arrival. I just assumed they weren't coming. And when they got here, the were MUCH smaller than I imagined. The bettas still have to make long trip for air since the items are so small. :nono:

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I didn't wake up until noon my time, and then I got busy talking to a friend.

I thought I crushed her in the lid's hinge last night .She stopped moving after that, and a few times I thought she was dead but I left here just in case she recovered. I was scared, felt guilty, and prayed about her last night. This afternoon she keeps her head in a downward posture but she can swim when she feels like it. They are both extremely lazy or just not used to their new homes yet.

I need to get rid of her tank. The previous betta died after getting into the fllet tray. I'd hoped I 'd solved that problem but I guess not. :banghead: Sadly, I could have bought her a new tank for what it cost to restore that older tank's filtration to stock and block off the part which killed the previous betta.

The boy swims and does sometimes initiate interaction with me. The girl, never but I guess I can't blame her. I'm just leaving her in peace for the time being.

The girl's tank is clear now. The boy's better but not yet clear. I'll take pics as soon as they clear and the girl lets me near her. The girl did let me put a plant in her tank. The boy hid from his plant and faux log so I had to take them out. He likes to rest on the heater or filter spray bar He doesn't like the filtration yet but he's getting some tomorrow. I must have a cycled tank!

I hope to get them real plants and logs soon. I would have put the decorations in first but it took forever for them to get here - around 9:00pm! I was so annoyed and stress by then, especially since I had an earlier UPS arrival. I just assumed they weren't coming. And when they got here, the were MUCH smaller than I imagined. The bettas still have to make long trip for air since the items are so small. :nono:

Sounds stressful, am sure they will be worth it tho!! Hope all goes more smoothly from now on, looking forward to pics when they are settled :)

Back
Top Bottom