The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey George niner niner.
You ever hear of great chicagoland cichlid association? The gcca? If you want some apistos look on their classified section or they will be having a swap meet in February on a Sunday. A good benefit is lots of local breeders with good hardy fish that are adjusted to our hard water. :)

Rozdab said:
Hey George niner niner.
You ever hear of great chicagoland cichlid association? The gcca? If you want some apistos look on their classified section or they will be having a swap meet in February on a Sunday. A good benefit is lots of local breeders with good hardy fish that are adjusted to our hard water. :)

I should look it up! Thanks for the tip :)

skywhitney said:
How're your numbers looking? You done cycling yet?

Nope lol. But it should be soon lol, I've been saying that for weeks now. My ph crashed and set things back a bit. ammo has been dropping zero lately, just waiting in nitrites. I'll let you know what happens when I test in about three hours tonight.

Nope lol. But it should be soon lol, I've been saying that for weeks now. My ph crashed and set things back a bit. ammo has been dropping zero lately, just waiting in nitrites. I'll let you know what happens when I test in about three hours tonight.

Sounds good. Good Luck!

Okie dokie. Just checked the water, nothing new that you haven't heard for the past few weeks. Ammo is 0. Nitrites are 5. Story of my life lol. Today is day 39 I think, it shouldn't be long :)

George9 said:
Okie dokie. Just checked the water, nothing new that you haven't heard for the past few weeks. Ammo is 0. Nitrites are 5. Story of my life lol. Today is day 39 I think, it shouldn't be long :)

Wow this is one long cycle!!!

Gboy66 said:
Wow this is one long cycle!!!

Haha, yeah. But you gotta do it, so I just suck it up lol.

Anyway, im thinking about ordering some flourish for the plants that aren't heavy root feeders. Some of then still are hanging in by a thread lol. Anyone know if it kills certian types of plants like excel?

Anyway, im thinking about ordering some flourish for the plants that aren't heavy root feeders. Some of then still are hanging in by a thread lol. Anyone know if it kills certian types of plants like excel?

So far I haven't had any bad experiences with it. I've used it with:
  • Anacharis
  • Anubias nana
  • Dwarf Sag
  • Java Fern
  • Java Moss
  • Christmas Moss
  • Amazon Sword
  • Wisteria

skywhitney said:
So far I haven't had any bad experiences with it. I've used it with:

[*]Anacharis
[*]Anubias nana
[*]Dwarf Sag
[*]Java Fern
[*]Java Moss
[*]Christmas Moss
[*]Amazon Sword
[*]Wisteria

Do you think it works pretty well?

skywhitney said:
I do, I dose twice a week and it seems to work great.

Sounds good. I ordered some up. :)

Good news tonight- ammo was zero and nitrites were jus about zero! Hooray! Now if they will just stay zero for a few more days..... How many more days should I continue to dose before I add fish now?

George9 said:
How many more days should I continue to dose before I add fish now?

Maybe not dose at all anymore and just let everything settle? I'm by no means a reliable source when it comes to cycling as I don't really have any experience doing it the proper way before though so input from others is warranted.

George9 said:
Sounds good. I ordered some up. :)

Good news tonight- ammo was zero and nitrites were jus about zero! Hooray! Now if they will just stay zero for a few more days..... How many more days should I continue to dose before I add fish now?

You want them to all drop within a day/day and a half. Once that happens your good to go

I would dose it for a few more days to make sure it holds. :)
@skywhitney, just so you know, while cycling you have to keep dosing the ammo and watching it drop to make sure all the bacteria are in place. They need to feed on the ammo so you don't want to quit dosing because they will have nothing to eat. :)

absolutangel04 said:
I would dose it for a few more days to make sure it holds. :)
@skywhitney, just so you know, while cycling you have to keep dosing the ammo and watching it drop to make sure all the bacteria are in place. They need to feed on the ammo so you don't want to quit dosing because they will have nothing to eat. :)

Makes sense to me :)

Alright! Thanks everyone! Maybe I'll finally get some fish this week. Stay tuned...

Ammo was .50 PPM and nitrites were 0 tonight. Of course the tank couldn't have cycled lol. Why is this happening to me!?!?

Good news- ammo was 0 an nitrites were 0. My ph is finally holding Steady-it didn't tank halfway through the day! I expect to get fish on saturday and put the fish from my 10 g on Thursday or wednesday. If all continues to go well.......

George9 said:
Good news- ammo was 0 an nitrites were 0. My ph is finally holding Steady-it didn't tank halfway through the day! I expect to get fish on saturday and put the fish from my 10 g on Thursday or wednesday. If all continues to go well.......

Awesome! Crossing my fingers it holds steady for ya!

Back
Top Bottom