Undergravel filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well all we can do is try with what we have for the moment, some fish make it and some don't , a ripped fin will heal if infection doesn't appear first, then you treat. As for a missing fin its likely he won't make it , cause he will have swimming issues , but we hope he is OK. That's why we buy more fish when this happens!!![emoji38] you just don't know what you buy until you bring it home, especially smaller and delicate fish and younger one too.

Clem

He didn't make it through the night :( Do you think he might have had a problem before he got sucked into the filter that could affect my other fish later on? I really don't want this to happen again.

He didn't make it through the night :( Do you think he might have had a problem before he got sucked into the filter that could affect my other fish later on? I really don't want this to happen again.

I don't think so because he would have been stuck to the filter on his side but it could be possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The problem with the net he's too constricted and won't have a chance to heal properly, you can always try this tomorrow with a small container.

Clem

I never thought of that I guess because my nets are really big but a container would work much better. Thanks

I'm not really sure how he was stuck to the filter because I was too busy trying to get him out.

He was likely dead or dying, it doesn't really matter his position on the filter. Neons are historically sensitive fish at first, once established in your tank though, they will be fine. I've typically when stocking neons bought a few extra in anticipation of losing a few. Not sure if they're sensitive to ph changes, tds changes or just poor at acclimating. I wouldn't be worried and I doubt it was your fault. They're just a fish that takes patience.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He was likely dead or dying, it doesn't really matter his position on the filter. Neons are historically sensitive fish at first, once established in your tank though, they will be fine. I've typically when stocking neons bought a few extra in anticipation of losing a few. Not sure if they're sensitive to ph changes, tds changes or just poor at acclimating. I wouldn't be worried and I doubt it was your fault. They're just a fish that takes patience.

Totally agree TMRC, I always buy a few more just for that reason![emoji38]

Clem

Okay, that makes sense! Thank you so much, next week I will be buying some more and I will let you know how it goes :)

Keep an eye out for any obvious signs of disease as well, small white dots or patchy fungus on the body, mouth or fins, redness around the gill plate, things like that, especially when buying fish. I examine each fish in a tank and spend several minutes at it before purchasing. If you notice any "flashing"(flicking their bodies against the substrate, ornaments or glass almost like trying to rub something off their body) let us know.
I'd chalk it up to fluke unless other signs appear. Did you ever test the water? Ammonia and nitrite being the key focus in a young tank.

I have been testing the water every day - no ammonia or nitrites, nitrates always below 20. No flashing or other signs of disease that I can see, or did see with the fish that died. Aside from his back fins having a small tear, there was no damage on the body.

All sounds well, when you introduce your next group I would go ahead and up the group to 6, neons feel security with their own kind and I bet with two in a tank by themselves they're probably a little scared.

I added four Neon Tetras and a Nerite snail and they all are doing very well! How are yours?

I added four Neon Tetras and a Nerite snail and they all are doing very well! How are yours?

That's awesome, any pics? Mine are doing well...for the most part, I lost another discus and decided I'm gonna have to wait until I have more time for them so they will be sold tomorrow.

View attachment 284192
You can see the Nerite snail in the bottom right corner and the neons are schooling in the left corner :)

And that's really sad! I'm sorry it didn't work out.

It's okay, you live and you learn. I will keep them again, probably just a breeding pair in a bare bottom tank

Back
Top Bottom