Undergravel filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I seem to have lost one of my tetras ? He's still alive but I found him partway stuck in the filter and he was probably there for a while. Part of his fin is ripped and I put him in his own cup and he is laying on the bottom breathing but not doing anything else. What happened? Can I revive him?

I seem to have lost one of my tetras ? He's still alive but I found him partway stuck in the filter and he was probably there for a while. Part of his fin is ripped and I put him in his own cup and he is laying on the bottom breathing but not doing anything else. What happened? Can I revive him?

He was probably so small he tried to swim through the gaps in the filter and got stuck hence the ripped fin. He's probably super stressed but may have an enternal injury. As for right now it's hard to tell. My first thought was he was dying but they would be stuck to the filter on their side not suck in it. I've never had this happen so I really don't know what to do but my best guess rn is to let him calm down and relax a little.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453173984.080041.jpg
I've got him sitting in this 1 gallon tank right now. He is still breathing but he is not moving. The rip in his fin is tiny. I am checking water parameters at the moment to see if that was part of the problem.

Do you see any red where there shouldn't be red? Or does he seemed squished in some part? A small rip isn't bad at all.

Also, where I live, it's 10:30 at night, and I need to sleep. I obviously can't keep him in this tank because the temperature would drop drastically and it is not oxygenated. Should I just put him back in the regular tank and hope he is okay?

Also, where I live, it's 10:30 at night, and I need to sleep. I obviously can't keep him in this tank because the temperature would drop drastically and it is not oxygenated. Should I just put him back in the regular tank and hope he is okay?

Whats your room temp? Do you have an air pump and tubing? (10:30 here too)

I have a little air thingy that would work but I don't have an extra heater and my room temperature is very cold. It's maybe 68-72 degrees. My tank is kept at 76.

I've caught fish at the beach that go through the net and get stuck. Usually I have to let them go before they recover but one did recover and was fine, so I'm guessing stress

I have a little air thingy that would work but I don't have an extra heater and my room temperature is very cold. It's maybe 68-72 degrees. My tank is kept at 76.

Do you have a net? If you do you can prop it so the lid and side of the tank is holding it and the mesh would be underwater and you could put him in that so he would be in the tank but safe from the other fish who might start picking at him. Like this example (my betta is fine)

Attachments

• 1453174751762.jpg
    1453174751762.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 1453174773488.jpg
    1453174773488.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 41
  • 1453174791171.jpg
    1453174791171.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 1453174808579.jpg
    1453174808579.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 47
Oh yeah! I do have a net, that seems like a good idea.

It should work. Do that and see how he does and tell us how he is in the Mornin. I'm also pretty tired and I have to sleep. Goodnight and Goodluck.

Do you have a small plastic container, glad container or something? You could put some put in the tank and use some tape to hold it against the tank glass and secure it so it's in the water, make sure you make some small holes so that the water gets in but the fish doesn't, give that a try than the net?
It's kinda like a guppy live bearer container.[emoji12]

Clem

The problem with the net he's too constricted and won't have a chance to heal properly, you can always try this tomorrow with a small container.

Clem

Okay, I can probably hunt down a container tonight because I feel like he might not make it through the night :(

Okay, I have the Tupperware facing downward on the ground with the fish inside it. There are holes in it. Is there anything else I can do?

Back
Top Bottom