White spots on fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namllots

Aquarium Advice Regular
Black neon tetra. I can't get a good pic but I just noticed the white spots. Anyone know if I should worry?

Just did a test and these are the results.

PH 7.6
ammonia .25
Nitrite and Nitrate 0

Ok , tell me everyyythingggg about your tank! Except decorations, not interested in sponge bob pineapples;) no seriously though, more details=more help!

35 gallon tank with a range of planting. 1 guarani,
4 corydoras
11 tetras
9 platys
1 betta
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391383849.010038.jpg

White spots could be ich. Temperature could be a bit higher 78f and is your tank cycled?

Ok, I just bought this fish yesterday from petco. Should I quarantine him?

Ok, I just bought this fish yesterday from petco. Should I quarantine him?

Tough to answer. You already introduced a fish with a decease into your tank, if you already have a quarantine tank accessible, you have nothing to lose by placing him there but since you already mixed him with the other fish you should treat the others as well.
The good news... If it is ich, all you need to do is raise the temp to around 80 and do lots of water changes for a couple of weeks. Ich is very easy to treat with heat and clean water.
Good luck!

Awesome! Thank you so much for the feedback. I just raised the temp and will do water change starting tomorrow. Preparing the water now.

Will do! How long do you think before I'll notice a difference?

I'm thinking a week or two. Just keep the temp around 80 and do partial water changes on a daily or every other day basis. I would leave the temp up there for an additional week or two.
You also mentioned you keep the temp at 72, that sounds a bit low, I would suggest 76-78.

Not looking good at all. Petco gave me antibiotics for fungus but they are slowly dying off. This is so very sad. I have a betta in that tank who's tail fins are white and brittle. I don't understand this. I don't see anyone getting better.

I'm going to do a 50% water change tomorrow. :(. So upsetting.

So, if your fish do have ick (also called whitespot) the fungus/antibiotic meds are not going to help at all, and may put extra stress on them. Whitespot is a parasite. My advice is stop doing meds, raise your temp (I've done all the way to 88F) and do WC every day if you can or every other day. Make sure you also vacuum the gravel. The WC and vacuum are going to remove the parasites from your tank and are going to be the best bet for removing the parasite. I would also read up on the disease to make sure it's actually what you're dealing with.
Freshwater Ich? Yuck! - Aquarium Advice

So, if your fish do have ick (also called whitespot) the fungus/antibiotic meds are not going to help at all, and may put extra stress on them. Whitespot is a parasite. My advice is stop doing meds, raise your temp (I've done all the way to 88F) and do WC every day if you can or every other day. Make sure you also vacuum the gravel. The WC and vacuum are going to remove the parasites from your tank and are going to be the best bet for removing the parasite. I would also read up on the disease to make sure it's actually what you're dealing with.
Freshwater Ich? Yuck! - Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I no longer see the white spots. Now what I see is the tail fin on a different fish looks like it's lost color and rotting off. Not sure how else to describe it.

could be fin rot? Best treatment there (so I've heard) is making sure your water is constantly PRISTINE! It will heal up on it's own.

Back
Top Bottom