Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: I have free swimmers YAY!! Lol also is it ok to still do my 30% wc?

Yes, as long as the new water matches the old water in regards to temp, pH and 0 values for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.
I'm more of a smaller amount more often kinda guy opposed to larger amounts less often. If your fry react poorly, you'll need to adjust your water changing amounts.

First comes eggs, then comes wigglers then come feeding all them little buggers. :lol: Make sure you are prepared :whistle:

Hello folks new member here..***waves***. I have a couple of questions about brine shrimp and feeding fry that I haven't seen answered yet. 1- when hatching out BS how long can they live in the hatchery before loosing nutritional value for fry (or just plain dying) 2- Do fry need to be fed within minutes of becoming free swimming or is there a bit of a "grace" period in which they will be safe. 3- how long (give or take) before fry are big enough to graduate to a less labour intensive menu?

well i have let mine set in there all day but as they grow wich is fast, they lose there nutritional value and its harder for the fry to eat them as they get bigger.in my opinion i feed as soon as posible or make smaller amountsi try to feed mine 5 to 7 days after hatched . agian as soon as posible after free swimming or as soon as they have used up there little yoke sack under them. and theres no such thing as not so labor entensive when it comes to breeding.. we do whats best for the fry and fish. i actualy feed mine bbs for about a month and then i filter in some very finely crushed flake food.you could always suplement with frozen bbs if needed wich is what i do but im old and lazy. lol andy will have a more experienced explanation for u .but every one learns what works for them selfs after some time and practice

Hello folks new member here..***waves***. I have a couple of questions about brine shrimp and feeding fry that I haven't seen answered yet. 1- when hatching out BS how long can they live in the hatchery before loosing nutritional value for fry (or just plain dying) 2- Do fry need to be fed within minutes of becoming free swimming or is there a bit of a "grace" period in which they will be safe. 3- how long (give or take) before fry are big enough to graduate to a less labour intensive menu?

Ok, my 2 cents :D:
Brine shrimp, when they first hatch out, reportedly have a yolk sac of their own that they absorb relatively quickly so the suggested amount of time to make the most of this "extra" nutrition is about 6 hours after hatching. I have, and I'm sure Bob and Ray and the other breeders on this site do too, a method of hatching out brine that is pretty calculated so I know I am feeding shrimp that have hatched less than that 6 hours prior to use. HOWEVER, if you use older brine shrimp, they are still good just not AS nutritious as the newly hatched (or as small, which might be an issue for smaller fry.) Having said all that, I have left the baby brine in a bowl with some floating algae and had them grow up to adult size so given the right parameters and food, the shrimp can live out a lifetime in your hatchery. Adult shrimp are only as nutritious as the food they have been fed. ;)

As for when to feed the fry: You have to remember, the fry just got done absorbing their own highly nutritious yolk sac just prior to becoming free swimming. So do they need to be fed immediately? Not really. I like to get some food into them within that first day of their free swimming. If they don't eat, it's no biggey as they had been fed with the yok sac. ( Think of it this way, if you ate a highly nutritious meal then fasted for 24 hours, would you starve to death? I doubt it. ;)) You just need to clean out the dead shrimp so as not to mess up the water quality.

As for how long to an easier schedule: As Bob said, there is no easy schedule with breeding. lol It all depends on your fish and how they grow. If they have enough space and clean water and food, they can grow more quickly and switched to a larger food type. If they are crowded and poorly cared for, they will not grow as big as fast and will require more time to get to that point. So it's up to you and your situation as to timing.

I hope some of this helped (y)

Thanks for the info guys! I understand everything requires labour, I should have asked how long should I expect to be hatching BS for the fry before they are big enough to eat commercially available food. Happy fishing ......umm...... Well you know what I mean :)

Thanks for the info guys! I understand everything requires labour, I should have asked how long should I expect to be hatching BS for the fry before they are big enough to eat commercially available food. Happy fishing ......umm...... Well you know what I mean :)

Understood ;)
To answer your question of "How Long....?" I refer you back to :
It all depends on your fish and how they grow. If they have enough space and clean water and food, they can grow more quickly and switched to a larger food type. If they are crowded and poorly cared for, they will not grow as big as fast and will require more time to get to that point. So it's up to you and your situation as to timing. :whistle:

Good luck with your breeding (y)

Right I'm about to move the fry to there own 100lt tank for a few weeks then split them up into 2 250lts tanks, only problem is the fry are 2 small to catch in my net lol best way of transferring them ?

Right I'm about to move the fry to there own 100lt tank for a few weeks then split them up into 2 250lts tanks, only problem is the fry are 2 small to catch in my net lol best way of transferring them ?

I use 1/4" diameter (ID) clear plastic hose and siphon the fry into a bucket for moving. You want a smaller diameter hose so the siphoning is slow but you don't want too small or the fry will get mangled in the hose.

Hope this helps (y)

If i have only 1 male and want 2 slow the pairs breeding i should let then parent right?? But how long could i leave the fry with them before i need 2 divide them out???

Ok!! Would the plastic craft mesh work 2 divide a 55 for the pair and fry???

Only if the fry are bigger than the mesh holes. You do , however, run into the problem of the fry's food swimming to the other side of the tank where they cant get it. It's better to have the fry in a tank by themselves so there are no issues (y)

The hunt is coming soon. :D I set up 2-30 gals today for new arrivals and leave for my expedition this coming Wed ;) Here fishy, fishy, fishy. :fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

go andy go!!!!!!! looking forward to pics. i just pulled black eggs and blue ones last night.

So... since i want the pair in the 55, and will only have a 20g free for fry so could i divide off the 55, 1/3 for the pair, 2/3 for the other 3 girls?? I was gonna put the girls in the 20g but if the fry need their own tank... im also gonna let the parents raise the fry as long as possible before moving them as its just a side project and only for store cred right now... may ship some later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom