20 gallon Q & A build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes GBR can live for 4+ years, I should have been a little more clear, sorry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive heard so many contradictions to their life span that's surprising to hear 4 years.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It's all relative..not that'd I'd really know but my research has led me to undeniable "theories" thus far. Basically... good stock+well kept/maintained tank= happy ram. Take away one or the other and it's a gamble..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I can 100% guarantee that they can live at least 18 days. LOL

That's slightly longer than I had the furcata rainbows. Pretty sure it was a CO2 thing. Was not really a spike but IMO they are more sensitive than the tetras.

Yeah but see there's one problem there. He's not allowing that root system! ? I've came home every day for 4 weeks to 75% of my Repens floating.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have no loaches but the MTS are doing a good job of uprooting the stars. I just replanted a bunch the other day and just now there are 8 or 9 floating around the tank. Usually I remove the bottom most pair of leaves but this time I did not. I think I will trim the lower leaves halfway to allow them to get a better hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was trying to plant things in the Eco Complete in my 10 gal... Never again! It's so light and difficult to work in. Even established plants come out easy.

Rescape looks pretty good! Plenty of room for things to grow in.

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

I was trying to plant things in the Eco Complete in my 10 gal... Never again! It's so light and difficult to work in. Even established plants come out easy.

Rescape looks pretty good! Plenty of room for things to grow in.

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Thanks Rad that's what I'm hoping for. The ecco don't seem too bad but I wonder if it was mixed with some gravel if it would hold better.

Thanks Rad that's what I'm hoping for. The ecco don't seem too bad but I wonder if it was mixed with some gravel if it would hold better.

I think something like black sand would probably help hold better.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just finished reading this whole thread. You're probably 3 weeks ahead Of me but doing the exact same thing. Following try his thread hoping more Info will come up. Keep up the good work man. I got the plus instead of plus pro, I guess we'll see what happens.

Should I be pulling these groupings out of the substrate and separating the individual stems with their root and replanting or is that a bad idea?
img_3195967_0_f7a14f381eefe4ab0893d63c9d60af6b.jpg

img_3195967_1_79701f647dc07cce24a5b331c1489b61.jpg

Should I be pulling these groupings out of the substrate and separating the individual stems with their root and replanting or is that a bad idea?
]

Just trim one or two stems from each group and replant those. The trimmed plants will sprout new growth.

Just trim one or two stems from each group and replant those. The trimmed plants will sprout new growth.

Thanks Fresh2o So its bad to disrupt the root system? Can I burry the lowest 2 leaves in the ecco to keep the clipping down until it grows roots?

It's fine, just slowly yank them and try to coax the roots free as opposed to snapping them off. You can plant them deeper just leaving the tops exposed to promote solid root growth.

It's fine, just slowly yank them and try to coax the roots free as opposed to snapping them off. You can plant them deeper just leaving the tops exposed to promote solid root growth.

Thanks Brookster. I was thinking it would be better to keep roots with each stem. Then also trim the tall ones and plant the trimmings also.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Brookster. I was thinking it would be better to keep roots with each stem. Then also trim the tall ones and plant the trimmings also.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I treat it like a hedge; keep trimming off the top and replanting. But at some point it's best to uproot it all, pick out the good growth and start again. The ones that get continually trimmed eventually get lots of branches and roots and fewer leaves. But this maybe six months to a year down the road depending on the plant growth.

Well I did standard maintenance and trimmed some of the stars and replanted the tops. Added more DHG to hopefully speed the carpet going. Scraped all the algae off the glass. My co2 regulator is on hold again till the 15 due to some unexpected expenses.

I'm starting to think the Ludwigia repens were a bad choice. They grow like crazy and shade anything near them. I trim them and in less than a week they are back at the top. May have to find something else for a background plant.

img_3198880_0_fbd62b6952c5f07707e0db885783ee32.jpg

I'm starting to think the Ludwigia repens were a bad choice. They grow like crazy and shade anything near them. I trim them and in less than a week they are back at the top. May have to find something else for a background plant.

img_3198887_0_fbd62b6952c5f07707e0db885783ee32.jpg

Since they take well to trimming, you can "stagger" trim them low in the front and taller in the back. Won't solve the growth rate issue but will take advantage of rapid regrowth (for presentation purposes). I had the same thing happen with Pogostemon erectus. I moved it to a corner and it looks better and impacts other plants less.

Back
Top Bottom