20 gallon Q & A build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Correct you can't shut diy off. I used to run an air stone at night, but decided to stop. Didn't gas any fish and when I look at the DC in the morning it is still green.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Correct you can't shut diy off. I used to run an air stone at night, but decided to stop. Didn't gas any fish and when I look at the DC in the morning it is still green.

Cool thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well after trying 3 stores I found the star repens and am now getting ready to do my 1st water change on this tank and plant them. Also setting up the DIY co2.

Progress!!! You have ferts yes??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Progress!!! You have ferts yes??

Root tabs??? Or do I need something else? As of now I have leaf zone, Flourish, root tabs and DIY CO2 (if it works)

I found my star repens at PetS***t.

Fishobsessed7

Yep went to 3 of them Found them at the last one LOL They had no fish or plant shipments this week because of the sub zero weather.
Pictures
img_3166239_0_2c16513c03735031e0280cf74d24e112.jpg

img_3166239_1_e42cab261c8e8f8982639f466f767417.jpg

You will probably have to seal those bottles with hot glue to prevent leaks.i actually used white out and it works, have one bottle on my 10 gallon with no diffuser because it runs into the HOB filter.

You mean the lid? Because the tubing's are on screw in 1/4" fittings with gaskets. I work in the dental construction/equipment field so I deal with tubing's all the time.
img_3166261_0_aa800858562724b05f3efce274af1891.jpg

You should be good then, I just drilled a 1/4 inch hole and put the hose in there. Leaked unless hotglue was used.

You should be good then, I just drilled a 1/4 inch hole and put the hose in there. Leaked unless hotglue was used.

Cool. 2 questions. Do I need something else as far as ferts go for the star repens and what formula did you use for the co2?
Thanks

Recipe is 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp baking soda (optional), 1/2 tsp yeast, and 2L water.

Steps:
1. Fill bottle halfway with hot water
2. Add ingredients
3. Shake like the nitrate #2 test
4. Fill to desired water level
5. Screw on lid and enjoy

I use leafzone for macos and SeaChem Comprehensive for micro, also dose SeaChem iron for the red plants. Going to switch to PPS-PRO over the summer when I work again.

Recipe is 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp baking soda (optional), 1/2 tsp yeast, and 2L water.

Steps:
1. Fill bottle halfway with hot water
2. Add ingredients
3. Shake like the nitrate #2 test
4. Fill to desired water level
5. Screw on lid and enjoy

I use leafzone for macos and SeaChem Comprehensive for micro, also dose SeaChem iron for the red plants. Going to switch to PPS-PRO over the summer when I work again.

Thank you! I did 1/2 of the mixture you listed with out the baking soda because I am using a 1L bottle.

I don't notice a difference when I use the baking soda vs when I don't, probably won't use it anymore.

Well my first attempt seems to be a fail. I know the system is solid and leak free so either the yeast is bad or I did something wrong with the mix. Attempt 2 starts shortly.

Check for any leaks with soapy water. Put it on the cap and squeeze the bottle, if there is no leak the bubbles will come out in the tank if there is a leak you will see it.

What kind of yeast did you use?

Check for any leaks with soapy water. Put it on the cap and squeeze the bottle, if there is no leak the bubbles will come out in the tank if there is a leak you will see it.

I pressurized the system to 30 psi so no leaks. I think I use to hot of water.

What kind of yeast did you use?

img_3166634_0_d905ef0eb401dfe4f7993089684efdf5.jpg

I think I'm going to do what I do best and throw some money at the cheap fluval co2 kit. At least I will be able to turn it off at night and back on in the morning. Its $89 on amazon but the petco here has it on clearance for $39.
Looks like it uses the pellet gun co2 cartridge.

I think I'm going to do what I do best and throw some money at the cheap fluval co2 kit. At least I will be able to turn it off at night and back on in the morning. Its $89 on amazon but the petco here has it on clearance for $39.
Looks like it uses the pellet gun co2 cartridge.

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!! Noooooooooo Noooooooooo. Don't cheap out on me now mike.. that thing is a pita. Just do it right and get the aquatek paintball setup. Around $130 all in but no upgrade needed.

Back
Top Bottom