5 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fyi goldfish pellets aren't the best idea for a betta, goldfish need more vegetable based foods and bettas need more meat based as they eat mostly things like mosquito larvae in the wild. As soon as you can i would suggest getting him some betta food and maybe bloodworms if you can.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bulk or your standard goldfish pellets are of low quality at best and a decent food for any fish is recommended. But just because its labelled betta,cichlid,tetra ect food doesnt make it good, i would look at new life spectrum, hikari or omega foods that are known to be created from better ingredients.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ideally foods labeled for a specific type of fish are formulated to meet the dietary needs of those fish regardless of ingredient quality.

Foods arnt made equal by any means and ingredients are everything.
Just look at the ingredients for new life spectrums BETTA formula:

Whole Antarctic krill meal, whole herring meal, whole wheat flour, algae meal, garlic, soybean isolate, beta carotene,*spirulina, vegetable and fruit extract (spinach, red and green cabbage, pea, broccoli, zucchini, tomato, red bell pepper, kiwi, apricot, pear, mango, apple, papaya, peach), vitamin a acetate, DL alphatocophero (E), d-activated animal sterol (D3), vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydro-chloride, calcium pantothenate, L-ascorby-2-polyphosphate (stable C), choline chloride, copper proteinate, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, cobalt sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate.

Which is very simular to their community pellet. I would rather use a nls pellet to a low quality betta branded food is my point.

Last edited:
Your not understanding what I am saying. I happen to use omega one and when I had a betta I used the betta formula. But its like cat food and dog food. Higher quality ingredients are better yes but what im saying is a cheap bag of dog food is still going to contain the basic nutritional requirements for a dog. Whereas an expensive dog food with high quality ingredients is not going to meet the basic nutritional needs of a cat (cats need higher protein and more taurine).

So while you can have the highest quality flake food it may not meet the basic needs of every type of fish. Some fish need more protein, fiber, veggies, meat, etc

I understood you Ashley and my first post wasnt in anyway posted to contradict yours. As for the right foods my dog actually used to eat cat food because of a recommendation it would be better for her from my vet.

Well guys, today, CHAOS!

So I come home, and my mom had this furious face on her, and at that moment I though, man, what did I do now
Well, this is what happened, I walk in my room, and to my surprise my 5 gallon tank is half empty, I thought, did my mom try to change the water?
Than I turn around and my mom is right behind me, and she says, your filter did this, it started to spew the water, and when I can here half the water was in the desk
Well, about 2.5 gallons of water spilled in my room, miraculously it didn't touch my chords,
Well what happened! My filter was not tilted what so ever, it was In its right position, I kind if thought if a solution, that if I completely submerge it, like completely, will that hurt it
I still don't know what happened

Your mom did it!

Im guessing its a hang on back filter? Is it working ok now? I think it probably became slightly clogged and slowly, water began to trickle from one of the sides.

Hah! I don't think she did, she's pretty honest

It's a canister filter, what do I do? Cuz I'm about to full her back up

A canister? strange, well it must be one of the pipes then? I would check the headseal aswell. Infact just double check everything is tight and secure.

Well, I can't let this happen again, if this happens while I'm in school, she says that she won't clean it up again, and she will let the desk to rot so, of course I can't count on her again so what do I do? Or am I better off removing it?

I think I'm getting a different filter, just saw this HOB filter, it's 10 bucks so not bad, the only bad review I saw was in a 2.5 gallon goldfish tank that got dirty after a week, so I'm discarding that, I can't let this happen again, I'm selling it an getting this filter probably on the week end

How do you submerge a canister? Theyre external. Sunsun do cheap filters of all kinds. I havent used them myself but they do get good reviews from some.

Oh ok so its an internal filter? Got a picture? Could you lower the water level and sit the filter lower down?

Here it is, it's behind the java fern

I think I'm filling her up, and I'll get the HOB filter I pictured up here, this is mine, but I think I'm substituting it for the one I pictured before
img_2793196_0_018370187572b2c2187381139292b61b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom