Betta advise (newbie here )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regardless of the temperature you have, I strongly recommend having a heater in your tank. The glass around the water is a good thermo-conductor, and as minor temperature changes occur, the variation takes place quickly into the water. I have been breeding bettas for a while now, those with heated water present better color, better (active) behavior and live significantly longer, even in Florida (where I started breeding them).

It's goes up to 90f with heater in won't it kill him that hot?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should get a heater that you have control over the temperature. They are very cheap on Amazon.com. I usually leave mine on 82F, and up to 86F for breeding.

90F is technically fine, it will not kill them (as the literature shows they stay in highly exposed waters that can reach 108F). It is just not optimal. The ideal temperature is ANYTHING between 76-86, as long as it is CONSTANT.

Rc is right, a proper heater should be adjustable so that it doesn't overheat. A good recommendation for wattage is around 3-5 watts per gallon of tank water.

It is one that you can change but even at its lowest it over heats it Going to put the heater back in but have half it out the water see if that makes a difference :)

It is one that you can change but even at its lowest it over heats it Going to put the heater back in but have half it out the water see if that makes a difference :)

NO DO NOT DO THAT!!!!

Make sure that the minimum water line is under water, otherwise it will incorrectly sense the temperature of the air and over heat. What size is the tank and how many watts does the heater have?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406750712.690306.jpg I'm not shaw on size but it's not that big

It's not how big the heater is, it's the wattage. 3-5 watts per gallon is correct. If your heater wasn't new, it may be faulty. The next time you go to a pet store look at them. Aquarium recommendations are on the packaging.

Back
Top Bottom