First Tank :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have just one betta fish in there right now... Should i change the water again or leave it for a few days to see what happens? Dont want it to rise even more...

I have just one betta fish in there right now... Should i change the water again or leave it for a few days to see what happens? Dont want it to rise even more...

If it reaches .50ppm of ammo the change 50% of the water

Well it actually seems a bit higher than 0.25 now that I've looked at it again, its not 0.50 though its in-between... i will do another 50% WC.... What is the longest a cycle could take? 2 weeks ago when i had 0 ammonia and nitrites i thought I was there haha

Not your fault buddy, finding out this hobby can be quite unpredictable! Fingers crossed it won't be too long now...

So, almost 7 weeks cycling...
Nitrite zero, nitrate about 10 sounds lovely... But no... Ammonia still between 0.25 and 0.50 :( what am i doing wrong??
My betta is absolutely fine never seen a happier more active betta! Colouring is great so he's all good...
Not sure what to do ...

Wait hang on... Just tested my tap water just to see the difference on how far out i was and this was the result...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392668274.004522.jpg

Tap water on the left, tank water on the right ? Have I got a dodgy api test kit?

You probably have ammonia in your tap water. I do to, so I always have trace ammonia readings. More than likely it's ammonia that has already been converted. I even got some ammonia absorbing filtration material, and I still get a reading. IMO, you are cycled and safe to add fish. It may or may not be the popular opinion though...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Robby, i would day so too after reading a couple of articles, will give it the rest of this week anyway and see if there are any changes.
Do you think It would help to use a different water conditioner? I am using api stress coat +
Fingers crossed!

**update**

So after 7 and a half weeks I am fully cycled :) wooo!

Tank is now fully stocked with
1 betta
5 harlequin rasboras
3 cherry shrimp

The levels are fine and all the fishies are happy and getting along.

Such a lovely community tank they are all so active ;)
it was a hard choice in the end between black neons and the rasboras but I made the right choice they are amazing fish! Some pics below :)

Thanks to everyone on AA for the help and advice, we got there in the end! (Now to keep an eye out on a good deal for the next tank ;p)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393170998.888976.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393171010.134378.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393171018.754273.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393171027.767978.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393171035.023729.jpg

7 and a half weeks wow that's a long cycle. Well done for getting thru it. I hope you enjoy your tank it's looking great.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks guys :)
Next I'm thinking at least 50 gal... Want to get a pleco and some clown loach so needs to be a fairly decent size!
Would love to have some tiger barb at one point, but that will prob be its own tank so maybe a long time yet!

Your readings for ammonia and nitrite should look like this...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393261148.222149.jpg

Very clearly yellow and light blue. If theres a hint of green in the ammonia test or a hint of purple in the nitrite test then there is ammonia/nitrite present. In every single one of your test result pictures i could see evidence of either ammonia or nitrite being present. All be it tiny amounts. Over the course of your 6 or 7 weeks 'cycling', this is why i think your fish died. Defo why your first shrimp died as they are sensitive. Dont take this as a bashing because its not meant yo be. I did these tests specifically to show you what results you should be aiming for :)

The shrimp is actually alive but was just hiding! :) they are all fine.
Yepp, thats what the levels were for 3 days before i added the harlequins and for 2 days after. Today however there is 0.25 ammonia and 0.5 nitrite and 10 nitrate... Is this a mini cycle due to adding the 5 fish at once? Shall I do a big WC? The guy at the shop (a big well known aquatic centre said i needed to stop doing so many WC or the ben bacteria wouldnt grow...)

Im sure i read in your posts that you bought 3 shrimp and 2 died?? I may be wrong but dont think i am. I thought your test results the whole way through your cycling looked to have .25 ammonia or nitrite

Back
Top Bottom