Hurricane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really glad I don't have fish yet! I'm hoping that keeping my media wet will be enough to keep the bacteria viable until the power comes back on, which is about all I can do. Good luck everyone!

I live in puerto rico. Was lucky enough that it was only a tropical storm when it hit u's but it's change in direction really thru us all of. I was without light for about 12 hoursish but I agitated the water here and there and kept the media wet and the tank parameters when I tested afterwards. Goodluck to you guys.

JoeyPB said:
[moderator edit] There probably aren't any extension cords left in all of Hampton Roads either. The stores are bare.

I'm thinking I'll be okay. My temp shouldn't get too low and I can easily keep it from getting too hot and I'll do water changes if need be.

Good luck!! I hope everyones fish will be okay! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sparky74 said:
I'm so glad I moved off LI.....

If it goes over NYC, it's going to make a mess :banghead:

Last hurricane to directly hit NYC....1821. No subways, tunnels, electric, etc.

Plus, there is a new moon on the 28th so tides will be higher than normal to begin with....

Does anyone know what Monday is? The answer is a little spooky :ermm:

What's monday??

librarygirl said:
Oh no... just started thundering, lightning and pouring here .... :hide:

Is it still doing it? (Lol is that even a question??)

skenny said:
In Central Jersey, Don't have a generator, hope my fish will be ok without it...

I'm in central jersey too! But I only have a mystery snail in my tank at the moment. Lol

Hydrogen Peroxide For Dissolved Oxygen - by Dr. Erik Johnson Hydrogen peroxide can be used to increase the dissolved oxygen in the system. H202 + H20 ----------> H20 + 02 Simply use 1/2 cup per hundred gallons. I prefer, however, to apply peroxide in a typical spray bottle, squirting it forcefully under the surface of the water into tanks and vats in trouble, I use 60 squirts per 100 gallons. What you will see is the fish will leave the surface, and swim about as if there was no dissolved oxygen deficit. The time for this to occur is approximately one hour. The benefits are seen for a full 4 hours. The hydrogen peroxide to use is drugstore 3% peroxide. It's great in emergencies. If applied directly to the fish, or applied directly to their water in an undiluted form, gill damage could result, so apply it away from the fish.

just thought id post this here!

Oh no sorry guys! Must suck over there! :(

But...excuse my naiveness, but I thought hurricaines were only in Florida or Louisiana?

Historical Hurricane Tracks

Click the "Hurricanes" button at the top right, and you will see the path of every hurricane ever recorded.

As you can see, they go EVERYWHERE. There are even such things as Pacific hurricanes that can hit the southern coast of Cali and Mexico.

There was even a tropical system that made it to Spain a few years ago...

The last hurricane to really hit LI was in 85(Gloria). It looks like this one will be of similar wind strength, but this storm is HUGE and not moving at 55mph like Gloria was. I remember in 85 the hurricane was over in about 5 hours tops. Blew in/out in a flash. I think this one is going to move much slower....With all the rain we've all had in the NE, flooding is going to be an issue.

They just announced for the first time ever, they are shutting down all public transportation in Philly at midnight on Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom