Hurricane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trees are blowing like crazy here and the electric has flickered a few times.The filter on my one 20 gal decided not to power back up during one of the flickers so I had to jostle her a bit to get her back going again. Almost afraid to go to sleep incase it happens again!

Mine has flickered too, and i just had to put sump pump on where the water is rising in my foundation drain

I live in MD/VA line. It's been raining all day and still is lights flickered for a few minutes but Internet and cables down :( Stuck to using my slow 3G

Getting pummled in southern CT right now. Im running all over the house making sure everything is alright....

Windy and rainy here in RI. One of the trees in the backyard cracked in half and fell and the storm isn't even fully here yet! I'm expecting to lose power later. :( I went to the store and bought a battery powered aerator for the tank (doing a fishless cycle so I'm glad I don't have fish in the tank yet but want to make sure the bacteria stay viable) and a battery powered fan (in case power goes out and it gets too hot). But I then went to 7 stores and no D batteries anywhere! My Dad had a few I took, so that's enough for the aerator but not the fan. Oh the irony.

It's nice and sunny here in Hampton Roads today. We lost power at 8 yesterday morning but power crews were on top of it and it was on within 2 hours. Luckily we have power today and all is well. My dad didn't fare so well though. He had minor flooding in the house over on Mill Creek across from Ft. Monroe. Hope everyone made/makes it through Irene.

So far, just a lot of flickering lights here, and one brown out for about 5 minutes(thank god for a UPS that can run the tank for 30 minutes or so). I already can see that my saw and I will be in overdrive tomorrow, and for the next few days.

OUCH! Hope for their sake that they have full coverage(that's why I park my truck away from all trees and wires during heavy storms).

The Catskills in NY have gotten hit really hard....My Dad is basically cut off from society. All bridges that lead off the mountain are under water and a lot of it. If not for his cell phone and generator, I would have no contact(land line is even out). I'm amazed the cell towers still work...

They evacuated the towns south of the Gilboa dam, which in currently under construction to update it(almost 100 years old and was feared to be unsound). There is currently no flood control device on the dam, other than a channel they dug. The gates haven't work in decades(I used to live in view on it).

GilboaDam.jpg

Anyone from NY should remember when the Thruway bridge on I-90 washed out in the 90's....That was from the creek that originates from outflow of that dam.

I found this picture of downtown Windham NY....If you have ever been there, it's mind boggling. I've been going up there for over 30 years and have never seen anything like it. And all that water still has to make it to the valley...Water is still rising.

So I just noticed this thread, I'm from RI and lost power for 2 1/2 days, we had no generator or anything to keep our fishes happy so we watched them suffer at the top of the surface while we did water changes and whisked there water constantly.

We have a 90g SW, a 45g FW, 30G FW and 10g FW. The 30 and 10 were ok but the other 2 were the issuses. Luckily all but our sea urchin in the 90g SW, a tiger barb, 2 rummynose tetras and frank my 5 year old leporinous made it.

Frank jumped out of my tank the night before from the 2 inch slot that is left from where the filter doesn't take up space. The hurricane was on its way and he must've known becaue he freaked out enough to jump out that little hole while I was at work. I came home tofind him dead on the floor I was so sad, he's in my freezer now, we're going to stuff him lol. Long live Frank.

Attachments

• DSC00373.jpg
    DSC00373.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 76
RIP Frank :(

Many areas, including my Dads are still without power and were told they have no idea when it will be back on. The power company can't fix the power because they can't get their utility trucks to the locations needed because the bridges are either gone or considered unsafe for anything more than passenger cars/pedestrians to cross.

I was supposed to visit my Dad this weekend, but was told not to bother as there is no way to get there :eek: Unless I rent a chopper and learn how to fly really quick.

The news I am getting from up there is pretty bleak. Whole towns are pretty much either wiped out or completely isolated now. I'm sure there are places in VT that are in similar shape. Many of the roads that are open are one lane in several spots due to washouts.

It's a mess...

The video below if from my Dads area...Knowing how the area looks normally, it's even more disturbing.

For anyone who has relatives in the Catskills, this site has been the best with info.

Pictures and video of the town of Windham and Prattsville:

Windham Irene update

321100_1751804013719_1797461195_1207374_2081220_n.img_assist_custom-480x361.jpg

Landmark Lost:

I used to fish under this bridge....Sad to see it's officially gone. Wiki was quick to update its demise :(

"With an open span of 210 feet (64 m), it had the longest span of any covered bridge in the world."

Old Blenheim Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

800px-BlenheimBridge_HAER_cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Got lucky at home, didn't lose power long enough to have to fire up the gennies. At work, we weren't so lucky. I took a bike ride down to main Schenectady Monday night, as well as parts of Scotia. The only way to describe it was eerie. Jumping Jack's was partially under water when I got there, but earlier in the day, almost all the way under. A pond near there was part of the river when I got there. The Stockades area was still waiting for the water to go down so that people could get back into their homes.
The south end of the industrial park started flooding Monday, and didn't peak until around 3 in the morning on Wednesday.
Only reason I know when it peaked was because I got called in to keep the water from getting into one of the tenants spaces, and ended up manning a gas powered pump all night.
I'm just hoping that everyone out there is OK.

Sorry for everyone who had losses.But hopefully everyone who doesn't have a generator now is considering getting one.With all the money we put into our tanks it is worth the investment.Especially now that it seems like the weather events are getting crazy everywhere.
I stress enough about my tank as it is ,so it was a no brainer for me to get one.

Sorry for everyone who had losses.But hopefully everyone who doesn't have a generator now is considering getting one.With all the money we put into our tanks it is worth the investment.Especially now that it seems like the weather events are getting crazy everywhere.
I stress enough about my tank as it is ,so it was a no brainer for me to get one.

And if you do buy a generator, make sure you run it for at least 4 hours right after you purchase it...... :banghead:

I bought one last year after I lost power for 12 hours during a blizzard. House got down to 48F and the aquarium was in the low 50's....Thankfully all the fish made it.

So I bought a generator after this and tested it out for about 15 minutes. I started it randomly just to make sure it didn't sit too long without running. But never for more than 5-15 minutes and of course since I bought it, I haven't lost power :rolleyes:

So my buddy, who is a little further south in PA, borrows my "brand new" generator after losing power from the hurricane. He leaves it running and goes to get more gas. When he comes back, the generator is off :confused: Try to pull the chord.... :eek: Rut row! Seized.... :nono: Brand new fresh oil and supposed to be "new".

Well, while looking at it, I notice a clear envelope taped on underside of the gas tank that neither I nor the manager at Lowes had seen. I bought the generator as the last one of the shelf(floor model) but as NEW. I got 15% off being that it didn't have a manual/box. But it was supposed to have never been used.

This little envelope contains a repair order saying basically that the unit had seized, was freed up(but no parts really changed), oil changed and put back on the shelf. Needless to say I was fuming. My poor buddy was stressed out thinking he had to buy me a new generator. When I showed the repair order to the manager he looked like he had seen a ghost. I just calmly stated that I had every right to be very pissed off, but was assuming it was an honest mistake and the manager didn't know it was repaired. All I wanted was what I paid for...A new generator.

Luckily I got a full refund, but had I not found that repair order, I would have been out of warranty and probably out of luck.

Sparky74 said:
And if you do buy a generator, make sure you run it for at least 4 hours right after you purchase it...... :banghead:

I bought one last year after I lost power for 12 hours during a blizzard. House got down to 48F and the aquarium was in the low 50's....Thankfully all the fish made it.

So I bought a generator after this and tested it out for about 15 minutes. I started it randomly just to make sure it didn't sit too long without running. But never for more than 5-15 minutes and of course since I bought it, I haven't lost power :rolleyes:

So my buddy, who is a little further south in PA, borrows my "brand new" generator after losing power from the hurricane. He leaves it running and goes to get more gas. When he comes back, the generator is off :confused: Try to pull the chord.... :eek: Rut row! Seized.... :nono: Brand new fresh oil and supposed to be "new".

Well, while looking at it, I notice a clear envelope taped on underside of the gas tank that neither I nor the manager at Lowes had seen. I bought the generator as the last one of the shelf(floor model) but as NEW. I got 15% off being that it didn't have a manual/box. But it was supposed to have never been used.

This little envelope contains a repair order saying basically that the unit had seized, was freed up(but no parts really changed), oil changed and put back on the shelf. Needless to say I was fuming. My poor buddy was stressed out thinking he had to buy me a new generator. When I showed the repair order to the manager he looked like he had seen a ghost. I just calmly stated that I had every right to be very pissed off, but was assuming it was an honest mistake and the manager didn't know it was repaired. All I wanted was what I paid for...A new generator.

Luckily I got a full refund, but had I not found that repair order, I would have been out of warranty and probably out of luck.

Wow. That's some of my luck right there!

So I just noticed this thread, I'm from RI and lost power for 2 1/2 days, we had no generator or anything to keep our fishes happy so we watched them suffer at the top of the surface while we did water changes and whisked there water constantly.

We have a 90g SW, a 45g FW, 30G FW and 10g FW. The 30 and 10 were ok but the other 2 were the issuses. Luckily all but our sea urchin in the 90g SW, a tiger barb, 2 rummynose tetras and frank my 5 year old leporinous made it.

Frank jumped out of my tank the night before from the 2 inch slot that is left from where the filter doesn't take up space. The hurricane was on its way and he must've known becaue he freaked out enough to jump out that little hole while I was at work. I came home tofind him dead on the floor I was so sad, he's in my freezer now, we're going to stuff him lol. Long live Frank.

Sorry about your fish. :( I'm in RI too but I was lucky; lost power at 9 AM on Sunday and it came back on at 4 PM the same day. I'm still glad I didn't have fish in the tank though.

Back
Top Bottom